WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyLoad DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Trail Boss Alternative for subs in 308 win family?

Quote Originally Posted by Baltimoreed View Post
    Tried trail boss but didn’t like it so I tried tin star=N32C and found it worked great with cast loads in my Krags and Springfields. But sadly I'm down to 2 cans. I do have red dot and clays though. Never heard of RS14.
    Here's the Red Dot data from the gmdr link above for 30-06
    Attachment 325219
    Dan Wesson 744V .44mag, S&W Mod 19-4 .357 , Stevens 200 .223

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by steve urquell View Post
    Here's the Red Dot data from the gmdr link above for 30-06
    Attachment 325219
    Odd...Last I knew "the Load" was 13.0 gr Red Dot... What happened??

Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    I'm not sure what "the load" means in this context. That link is full of great data on several fast burning powders for light loads.

Boolit Master

"The Load" isn't subsonic. Just the most likely load to be accurate as found by Ed Harris. The previous "The Load" was 16 grains of 2400. There are several powders that will work for a mid range plinking load with fast powders but nowhere does Mr. Harris say it is Subsonic.
    Good Luck,
    Rick

Boolit Master

"The Load" isn't subsonic. Just the most likely load to be accurate as found by Ed Harris. The previous "The Load" was 16 grains of 2400. There are several powders that will work for a mid range plinking load with fast powders but nowhere does Mr. Harris say it is Subsonic.
    Good Luck,
    Rick

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RickinTN View Post
    Good Luck,
    Rick
    My Bad...I missed the subsonic part!! I slink away now..

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by steve urquell View Post
    It's not a concern with these fast powders. Take a good look at the extensive amt of low velocity data here. You can use the 30-30 or 30-06 data for your .308. I've been using the 32-20 data for my .300BLK for years.

http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm
    Ok but do the data account for variables like shooting uphill, downhill, etc? It's one thing to have consistency between shots on a flat bench at the range but if you're shooting flat once and then the next shot is downhill like in a hunting situation, and there's a lot of empty space in a big case and all the powder slides forward against the front of the case away from the primer...do these faster powders still perform as well as a bulky powder like trail boss that does a better job filling the case?

Boolit Master
    Small charges of fast powder in large volume cases always carries the risk of chamber ring forming.

Quote Originally Posted by Longranger44 View Post
    Ok but do the data account for variables like shooting uphill, downhill, etc? It's one thing to have consistency between shots on a flat bench at the range but if you're shooting flat once and then the next shot is downhill like in a hunting situation, and there's a lot of empty space in a big case and all the powder slides forward against the front of the case away from the primer...do these faster powders still perform as well as a bulky powder like trail boss that does a better job filling the case?
    I cannot say with authority that powder position in all cases of those loads does not matter because I have not personally tested them.

I tested powder position in .300blk with 3.5-4.5gr of unique as well as TiteWad when I started using the 32-20 data and found no change in impact on the target at 50yds and no signs of pressure difference in the primer or brass. At the time I did not have a chrono so I do not have SD info.

Before I ever started down that road I read as many reports on reduced loads as I could find. When I turned up overpressure info it was from:
    1. reduced slow burning rifle powder charges,
    2. double charges being dropped or
    3. when someone was attempting to manipulate the powder position with fillers.

As with any reloading off the standard path proceed cautiously and look for signs of overpressure if you choose to proceed.

Maybe contact the author of the GMDR page and get their input. Here's another great read on it on that site:
    http://www.gmdr.com/lever/pistolpowi.htm

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I wonder how green that would do I have an 8 lb jug. You never hear much about green dot anymore either.

I use about 4.2 grains in my colt 45 of trail trailboss along with a magnum pistol primer and a lee 255 grain boolit. Out of ew vaquero It drives tacs at 25 yards with 22wmr recoil. It's a pretty slow load. Around 525fps if I remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Baltimoreed View Post
    Tried trail boss but didn’t like it so I tried tin star=N32C and found it worked great with cast loads in my Krags and Springfields. But sadly I'm down to 2 cans. I do have red dot and clays though. Never heard of RS14.
    There is .45LC Green Dot data here
    https://shootersreference.com/reloadingdata/45-colt/

I've used red dot in BO, 30/30 for plinking. Haven't seen the position sensitivity yet. I use a single shot CVA so random 'position' of the rnd when loaded. But BO is a small case. I did notice the problem in 308-30/30 with unique. 2400 worked much better there. Smokeless powder depends on adjacent heat to ignite - loose 'packing' of the powder changes the ignition rate of the powder. Most fast pistol powder is easier to ignite so less problem.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    I wonder how green that would do I have an 8 lb jug. You never hear much about green dot anymore either.

I use about 4.2 grains in my colt 45 of trail trailboss along with a magnum pistol primer and a lee 255 grain boolit. Out of ew vaquero It drives tacs at 25 yards with 22wmr recoil. It's a pretty slow load. Around 525fps if I remember.
    https://www.alliantpowder.com/reload...spx?powderid=5

Here is some more load data.
    quando omni flunkus moritati

I just loded 162gr fmj's with Shooters World Buffalo very soft shooting I've never had or tried TB so I can't compare. But Buffalo is available and fairly "cheap"

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post

GMDR site likes green dot. Also Lyman Cast manual has green dot loads for many cartridges with lighter bullets. I am having pretty good results with IMR Green in 308, 25-06, and 375 Ruger with plain base. Using Red Dot or Green Dot recipes from manuals.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123