RepackboxTitan ReloadingWidenersLee Precision
Load DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Casting tips for soft/pure lead

Boolit Buddy
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!

Casting tips for soft/pure lead

I’ll admit my search skills are weak. I looked at the stinkies at the top of the section.

I’m looking for tips for casting with soft lead and doing it cheaply. My stash is some lead cable sheathing. I haven’t found pewter and want to try what I have on hand.

I’d like to try a round ball mold, because I hear pure lead is like peas in a pod with muzzleloaders.

I’d also like to make some pistol/revolver boolets. Are there mold traits to avoid or designs that are beneficial? Say a tumble lube design for example. And is there anything to watch for when I try them in plastic muzzleloader sabots?

I appreciate everyone’s desire to be helpful. But. I’m specifically looking for information on the liquid lead to creating a filled out consistent and usable boolet phase.
    I’d like to keep the thread from getting filled with subject matter not about the topic please.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Barry54; 05-07-2024 at 06:56 AM.

Boolit Master
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...ting+pure+lead

"Advanced Search" works really well. "Stinkies"?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bannister View Post
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...ting+pure+lead

"Advanced Search" works really well. "Stinkies"?
    Maybe I missed it. Where did it talk about using pure lead instead of turning it into an alloy with wheel weights or solder joints or other sources of tin?

Boolit Buddy
    Pure lead should only be used for muzzleloaders and shotgun slugs. Everything else need to be hardened some (or a lot). All of my alloys contain at least 2% tin but you can harden the lead a lot more using Antimony. Wheel weights work great but IMO still need a little tin / pewter if punching more than paper. Surplus letterpress like linotype, monotype and Foundry type do a much better job since they already have a good bit if tin and are surprisingly cheap compared to even range scrap.

Boolit Buddy
    Ugh

I don’t want information on making an alloy. I want information on using lead as it is. The searches are full of how to alloy lead.

Post five in the link said to run the pot hot. That was useful information. Thank you

Pure lead will work for round balls without an issue.

To cast bullets of pure lead, you want a bullet with less detail. Pressure casting would be the best technique, if you're able to do it without having fins on the bullets.

Something like this would cast fairly easily.

Something like this would be quite difficult.

BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the tips!

I found those photos on your website. Signed up for the newsletter while I was there.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry54 View Post
    Thanks for the tips!

I found those photos on your website. Signed up for the newsletter while I was there.
    Glad to help any way I can.

Nice, thank you.

Pure lead casts smaller than any other alloy. So, having a mould that drops right at the needed size with another alloy will likely be too small with pure.

Casting temperature affects diameter, with a lower temperature giving the largest diameter.

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Grand Master

I don't cast with a lot of pure lead but I don't really do anything different than if I were casting with an alloy. Try casting a few first and then experiment as needed with running the temperature a little hotter.

Boolit Master
    I was doing some casting of regular rifle and pistol bullets a while ago using pure lead since I wanted to use them for slugging the barrels and although I could have used wrinkled ones I just wanted to see what it would take to make pure work. Once I got the temp to 750 I was making decent bullets. But as has been pointed out hot and pure will give smaller than advertised bullets. In a round ball this should not be an issue because you are patching them anyway.

Hot melt and hot mold. Pour fast. I cast round ball and Minnie balls with plain lead.

For casting sabot rounds since the sabot rides the rifling one can use lead. I use lead plus a couple percent tin for easier casting fillout. The added tin does lower the melting temperature a bit. I've been casting 41 mag bullets with a lot of lube grooves that looked pretty good. I'm sizing that to .40 to fit a sabot for a 45 inline muzzle loader.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Buddy
    Here are some ideas. First, you can cast some hollow points, PC them and you won't get leading issues. To keep your costs down, buy some PC from a local PC business. He might have some colors he doesn't want and will sell them to you cheap. Then look on Craigslist for a Free or $5 toaster oven, then find some #5 plastic containers (yogurt) and styro-foam from the $1 store or garbage can. Then load some light .38 loads. To shoot hotter bullets, I'd suggest casting a bullet that takes a gas check.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by BJung View Post
    Here are some ideas. First, you can cast some hollow points, PC them and you won't get leading issues. To keep your costs down, buy some PC from a local PC business. He might have some colors he doesn't want and will sell them to you cheap. Then look on Craigslist for a Free or $5 toaster oven, then find some #5 plastic containers (yogurt) and styro-foam from the $1 store or garbage can. Then load some light .38 loads. To shoot hotter bullets, I'd suggest casting a bullet that takes a gas check.
    Have you cast hollow points from pure/soft lead? Pointers on how you did it is exactly what I’m looking for with this thread.
    Thanks

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry54 View Post
    Have you cast hollow points from pure/soft lead? Pointers on how you did it is exactly what I’m looking for with this thread.
    Thanks
    Here’s some pure lead bullets I cast last week using an old single cavity Lee mould. RogerDat is correct, a hot mould and hot mix are your “friends” with pure lead. I don’t powder coat but my friend Txcowboy52 is going to powder coat these for us to test. I have a S&W 637 that needs to be fed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1794.jpg  

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by txbirdman View Post
    Here’s some pure lead bullets I cast last week using an old single cavity Lee mould. RogerDat is correct, a hot mould and hot mix are your “friends” with pure lead. I don’t powder coat but my friend Txcowboy52 is going to powder coat these for us to test. I have a S&W 637 that needs to be fed.
    That’s quite the accomplishment! I have one of those Lee hollow point molds. I didn’t have great results with it. When I finally got it to cast with a good fill-out, I had more rejects due to the hollow point pin causing the nose to crack or rip on one side.

Boolit Buddy
    I have not cast with pure lead yet. I'm currently casting 9mm, .38, .40, and .45 hp bullets using .22lr, pellet, and FMJ core lead and with various percentages of tin: 40:1, 30:1, 20:1. I've been thinking about adding gas checks so I can add more pressure without losing accuracy. There are gas checks you can press onto a flat base bullets. Another option might be a wax check. Use your casing to stamp out of a waxed gas check sheet. You'll have to ask around from them. I've only read about them. BP shooters are best known to use them. I don't know if either suggestion will help. You'll have to test them.

Quote Originally Posted by txbirdman View Post
    No offense meant, but there appears to be a lot with rounded bands - IE rejects.

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    No offense meant, but there appears to be a lot with rounded bands - IE rejects.
    You are absolutely right about the rounded bands but that’s what I got with pure lead. I don’t consider them rejects (yet). What I did get is a .359 bullet with a good hollow point ( for the most part). After sizing to .358 and powder coating we’ll see how they perform in my snubby. That’s when I’ll know about the rejects.

Rounded bands was why I was using some tin for the 41 mag bullets, they had several lube grooves. I can get decent fill out in the 58 caliber Minnie bullets and they have a broad shallow groove, or two.

On getting pins to release try some graphite. Either buy a small bottle and apply with a Q tip or just take a soft pencil and "color" the pin to try it out. Seems to help a lot with HP and hollow base molds I have. That and a hot plate to get that pin nice and hot, followed by some fast casting to keep it hot.

I think it would be harder to cast HP with plain lead and great fill out because the pin is going to lose some of the heat and make it hard to keep the mold hot enough for plain lead to flow crisply. That and HP don't seem to drop out as rapidly meaning more cool down between casts.

Good luck with your efforts txbirdman. I'm sure if they are good enough to hit the milk jug, the milk jug won't notice the lube grooves. If not it gives one an excuse to make more and try again and that ain't all bad. More casting, more shooting, can't see a down side to that.

For the OP it takes very little tin to make a lot of difference in how the alloy casts in terms of fill out while tin does make the bullets just a bit harder at a low percentage not enough to matter much except for round ball where you want dead soft. So for in a sabot I would add a touch of tin. If nothing else it opens up the possibility for bullets from molds that would be hard to cast in with plain lead.

Easy route to get some tin is lead free solder. Not the cheapest source. Ebay or the swapping and selling forum here with a WTB would be cheaper but you can get lead free solder at any big box lumber store or most hardware stores, or probably Walmart. Members have reported as little as 0.5 percent makes a significant difference, with more than 2 percent being wasted unless your making Lyman #2 alloy.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Buddy
    Tin is pricey. Maybe look on Craigslist for some pewter.