WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sulfur rabbit hole

Boolit Master

Were me, I'd take it to a scrap yard and trade it for either wheel weights or pure lead scrap (iron soil pipe salvage). The scrapers don't test it and don't care if it's lead/zinc mixed. I've fallen into this sulfur trap before, If I can't trade it I scrap it.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Michel View Post
    Were me, I'd take it to a scrap yard and trade it for either wheel weights or pure lead scrap (iron soil pipe salvage). The scrapers don't test it and don't care if it's lead/zinc mixed. I've fallen into this sulfur trap before, If I can't trade it I scrap it.
    ................................ and their will be nothing learned from the experiment.

Boolit Master

Have tried it and it's a complete waste of time.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff michel View Post
    have tried it and it's a complete waste of time.
    care to share what you experienced and/or learned?

Boolit Master

I wouldn't want to ruin your experiment, but here's a couple suggestions.
    1) Use a dedicated vessel to melt your alloy. Once you get zinc on the interior surfaces of your furnace, you will contaminate subsequent batches until you do a complete clean up.
    2) Do your melting out of doors, If you inhale fumes off of zinc, you will suffer from what is called "Brass Shakes" drinking milk will reduce the sensation, but trust me , it is not pleasant.
    3) If you do arrive at a point where you can cast a usable projectile, it will likely be of a smaller diameter and accuracy and leading will result.
    This may or may not be of value to you, but I have tried to salvage contaminated lead in the past and the expenditure of money/time compared to the results achieved has reaffirmed that using an alloy of known composition produces more predictable results, both in castability and results downrange. Good luck with your experiment and please post your results.
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff michel View Post
    i wouldn't want to ruin your experiment, but here's a couple suggestions.
    1) use a dedicated vessel to melt your alloy. Once you get zinc on the interior surfaces of your furnace, you will contaminate subsequent batches until you do a complete clean up.
    2) do your melting out of doors, if you inhale fumes off of zinc, you will suffer from what is called "brass shakes" drinking milk will reduce the sensation, but trust me , it is not pleasant.
    3) if you do arrive at a point where you can cast a usable projectile, it will likely be of a smaller diameter and accuracy and leading will result.
    This may or may not be of value to you, but i have tried to salvage contaminated lead in the past and the expenditure of money/time compared to the results achieved has reaffirmed that using an alloy of known composition produces more predictable results, both in castability and results downrange. Good luck with your experiment and please post your results.
    this................ I already knew. What i am after is the bhn of the alloy "after" the sulfur treatments are done.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12