RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad DataWideners
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Load data/reference for a Lyman 358439?

Boolit Bub

Load data/reference for a Lyman 358439?

Greetings!
    I recently acquired a Lyman 358439 mold, which is supposed to be the hollow point version of the 358429. From what I have read, this mold should throw a bullet weighing about 153-155gr. Looking in the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook (4th Edition), this bullet is not listed.

Would I find data for this bullet in an earlier edition?

If I can't find data for this bullet, would it be reasonable to rely on data recommendations for either the 358156 or 358665? I am looking for data for loading both 38 Special and 357 Magnum.

As always, thanks in advance for your help!
    Ed
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    NRA Range Safety Officer and Referee
    Disabled Rifle [F class mid-range and long-range] and Pistol [Precision Pistol, GSSF, and ShootSig] competitor
    Adaptive Defensive Shooting Summit participant
    IDPA and USPSA member

Boolit Buddy
    https://hodgdonreloading.com/rldc/
    Go to pistol section and use 158 grain bullet data/loads.

In what caliber, please? Most loaders seem to use std 358429 data. Lyman and Ideal both listed 358439 & 358429HP at 160 grains back in the 1950s manuals.

I looked through my Loadbooksusa manuals for both 357 Magnum and 38 Special, and it's not listed there. I would use 358429 data based purely on the used case volume being the same.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Use data for the 358429, the minor difference in weight between the 358429 and the 358439 is meaningless. Other bullets styles such as the 358156 are not of the same design and are not interchangeable.

Boolit Master
    I've had a #358439 HP mould for many years; I think it's from the '60s. WW bullets weigh 155 grs. I've never used the hottest of loads; best accuracy has been with 12 grs. #2400 for a muzzle velocity of 1185 in a 6" barrel.

I don't have the manuals handy at the moment, but I believe some of the Lyman books from the '50s had data for this bullet.

Boolit Grand Master
    There is data in the Lyman 41 but how useful it is, I don't know. Strictly for historical information, and not at all suggested for use, here's what they said back then: In the 357 Magnum, Only Unique and 2400 have charges listed, and they are hot! 7.0 grains of Unique for a reported 1315 FPS, while the load for 2400 is 15.0 grains for 1556 FPS. No data for other powders were reported, simply because most modern powders didn't exist yet, back in 1957.

In the 38 Special, powders recommended were Bullseye, 3.0 grains, No.6, 3.7 grains, 5066, 5.0 grains, and Unique, 5.2 grains. They listed one 38-44 load, which is now a middle 357 magnum load, 12.0.

Best practice is to ignore all of the above, and just use modern, pressure-tested data from the Lyman 4th Edition Cast manual for the 358-429 as suggested above by Bazoo and rkrcpa . Loads safe with the heavier sold bullet will be safe with the dimensionally similar hollow point. I use 6.0 grains of HP38/WW231 in .357 with my own, MP clone for a nice mid-range load. But there are at least a dozen powders suitable and for which good, safe data is available.
    Last edited by rintinglen; 03-19-2024 at 11:21 AM. Reason: added caliber info..doh
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master

Cast a few boolits with your new mould and see what the weight is ...
    Then use data as weight dictates ... lots can happen between "this mould should cast a ... and ... this mould actually drops boolits that weigh ... "
    Be safe and check the as cast weight .
    Load Safe,
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Bub
    Thank you for this sage advice. I will heed your recommendations!
    Ed
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    NRA Range Safety Officer and Referee
    Disabled Rifle [F class mid-range and long-range] and Pistol [Precision Pistol, GSSF, and ShootSig] competitor
    Adaptive Defensive Shooting Summit participant
    IDPA and USPSA member

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    I looked through my Loadbooksusa manuals for both 357 Magnum and 38 Special, and it's not listed there. I would use 358429 data based purely on the used case volume being the same.
    ^^^This right here. Reminds me of some people casting bullets out of zinc, particularly the Lyman 356637 for 9mm. Then using 90gr jacketed load data. Which is the equivalent of taking that 90gr jacketed bullet and seating it .214 deeper in the case and using the same load data.

Also, sometimes you'll see load data for a bullet which is heavier than another but has a higher charge weight. This is a result of the bullet design and seating depth, such as lbt designs which put more of the bullet outside the case resulting in more case capacity.

Seated to the same depth your lighter bullet will achieve a higher velocity.

Boolit Bub
    This bullet and the 358429 are too long for the 357 case. You will have to trim some cases to fit and keep them segregated from the rest. Use as soft an alloy as you dare for the hollow point to expand at all and this bullet is a very good candidate for powder coating. I have never tried it but a cast pure lead bullet that is powder coated and lubed in an oversize die might allow for high velocities in a hollow point. But I do not know if anyone has done dual lubed bullets as I would guess the pressure would jump up somewhat.

KB

Sent from my SM-A546U using Tapatalk

358429 isn't too long for many guns, but it is too long for short cylindered guns like S&W 27s & J frames, some Colts, especially Pythons. and some of the imported er, stuff. Ironically, it fits fine in S&W K frames which cannot hold up to long term usage of any full-power magnum load. Tailor your alloy to the velocities you plan to reach. Generally, 1:30 works well with powdercoating but you'll need to do your own expansion tests to find what works best in your circumstances.

From Elmer himself

Boolit Master
    Do not use generic 158 grain load data. This boolit seats too deep.