Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Wideners
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old truck headlights

Boolit Buddy

Old truck headlights

Have a 52 model International which I've owned since '74. Converted it to 12 volts shortly after purchasing same and headlights are 6012 dual beams and puny, especially at my advanced age. Looking for a brighter 'drop in ' bulb and AM NOT interested in LED's or H4's as conversion is not on my list. I do have a relay and the wiring is , of course, oversize as the system began life as 6 volt. I'm thinking 6024's but, which ones? Are some better than others? Suggestions???

Boolit Master
    take the bulb you have into autosparky and get the best they have got in replacement..... and left field thought...maybe put a led lightbar??? inside the grill(can be fitted/removed with two bolts later on)....you keep the look origonal but get benifit of daylight!!!!

i do not know the answer but most of the sealed beam boxes used to have candle power listed on the boxes - try looking on internet - why not use LED conversion ?

https://headlightrestore.us/how-can-...-be-increased/
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

I haven't needed to know much about the old school head lights lately,
    but I seem to remember you could get a quartz type bulb as a direct replacement that is noticeably brighter
    then the old wire filament bulbs.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

I just treated my headlights with turtle wax product that removes yellow film off the beams made big difference.

Boolit Master
    A 52 International is not going to have plastic lenses that will discolor. LOL. What I do with all of my vehicles is find the compatible Silverstar bulbs and go with them. They are substantially brighter and it is a simple bulb change. I am not sure if they have a direct swap for your 52 though. If not then a conversion is about the only option. If yours are the old style filament bulbs and you can't get Silverstars then go with Halogens, again, it is a bulb for bulb swap.
    Last edited by Rickf1985; 03-17-2024 at 06:31 PM. Reason: spelling

Boolit Bub

All the sealed beams are pretty bad. On my old Jeeps I converted to Hella H4 or something like that....I know you said you weren't interested, but it was the only way to get enough light for my old eyes. Another tip is to examine how the power is routed. I would also set up a relay that was activated by the old hot wire to get full voltage to the bulb for more output.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Disabled Army veteran

Boolit Buddy
    +1 on silverstar

Boolit Master

Don't know what the aversion to LED is. Most are plug and play these days.

Boolit Buddy
    Seems like Silverstar bulbs come in either a sealed beam or a replaceable 'insert' which would require some kind of housing. The LED's also seem to require some kind of housing (reflector, if you will). Can someone elaborate?

Moderator Emeritus

I put SYLVANIA XtraVision Sealed Beam Halogen Headlight Replacements on my '71 Chev C20, they are a big improvement over traditional sealed beam and don't have the piercing white light of LEDs.

https://www.amazon.com/SYLVANIA-Xtra...oaAqFmEALw_wcB
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

My ride has LED in it, ( a used car 2006 ) I love the bright light at night. I can see deer another 50 yds out. BUT I get flashed by other drivers all the time, even when they know I on low beam. just food for thought

Boolit Buddy
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...amp+bulb,11701

I know you said you didn’t want to do led conversion. These are drop in as far as I know. They are low current draw, bright and expensive. They may not look correct either. But they would be my pick if I had to drive it on public roads after dark.

“You can’t have your Kate and Edith too”
    Statler Brothers

Halogen bulbs use a lot more current. I would use LED.

Boolit Master
    Current will not be an issue if he is running the original 6 volt wiring. I would still add in a relay triggered off of the original headlight wires and run the hot side of the relay though a fuse directly to battery power. That way you get full 12 volts to the lights. You would be amazed at how much voltage is lost on these old systems through line loss, bad grounds and multiple switches.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Rickf1985 View Post
    Current will not be an issue if he is running the original 6 volt wiring. I would still add in a relay triggered off of the original headlight wires and run the hot side of the relay though a fuse directly to battery power. That way you get full 12 volts to the lights. You would be amazed at how much voltage is lost on these old systems through line loss, bad grounds and multiple switches.
    That is a great Idea.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    I used relay system and added lights( LED ) on my 65' GMC 4x4. Leave the old glass lights alone and add another switch with lights. There are tons on new LED options.

Boolit Buddy
    LED's are expensive unless one buys cheap knock-off brands which are also EXPENSIVE.
    Relay for headlights was added years ago (reread original post).
    Going to use Sylvania Silverstar, or similar, as was suggested earlier by several members.
    Thanks to all for suggestions...

Boolit Master
    You could check the voltage. An alternator puts out 13.80-- 14.20 volts. If generator you can install a smaller pulley. I install smaller pulleys on 6 volt tractors converted to 12 volt. A small pulley will make the lights brighter at idle. A 12 volt battery should have 12.3v--12.6 volt not running. Check the voltage at the headlight wires--It may have a bad ground.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JRLesan View Post
    LED's are expensive unless one buys cheap knock-off brands which are also EXPENSIVE.
    Relay for headlights was added years ago (reread original post).
    Going to use Sylvania Silverstar, or similar, as was suggested earlier by several members.
    Thanks to all for suggestions...

I guess you have to ask yourself what it is worth to be able to see at night. Every vehicle I have has been retrofitted with LED lighting. Including my two Harleys.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast