MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2Wideners
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading

Thread: Tried New Method to get Seating Depth Touch

Tried New Method to get Seating Depth Touch

I know about the Hornady gadget using special cases, but I usually use the simple "rod method" to find the zero touch length for a given bullet. But I thought I'd try a new method I've been reading about. You need to create a case expanded (or in my case split to hold a bullet) so the bullet slides easily into the neck. Next clean the inside of the case neck & apply a small amount of loktite & seat the bullet. Carefully load the dummy cartridge into the rifle & push it in & close the action. The bullet ogive touching the throat should push the bullet back into the neck. Set the rifle aside & let the loktite set. Later when you remove the dummy round you can use a comparator to measure the BTO (base-to-ogive). Worked like a charm for me!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Seating-Depth-Cartridge.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	324673 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Seating-Depth-Measuring.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	44.5 KB 
ID:	324674

BTW: Using the rod method my calculation was 1.448" BTO
    Last edited by pertnear; 03-17-2024 at 10:52 AM.
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Thanks for posting. Looks like a winner. I wonder if you could use a fired case for that technique?
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Quote Originally Posted by scattershot View Post
    Thanks for posting. Looks like a winner. I wonder if you could use a fired case for that technique?
    The picture I'm showing is for a .256 Win Mag of which I get plenty of split necks with old cases. LOL
    You can set your die up to just barely size the start of the case neck to create a "slip-case". With a tight chamber a fired case may provide a "slip-case".
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Boolit Buddy
    I use a similar method where I take a dremel and split the neck of a sized case on both sides. Then with a little squeezing set the neck tension till a bullet gives a slip fit with a little tension. After that just chamber the case, take it out and measure it, and repeat the measurement a few times. No locktite needed. Occasionally a lubed bullet might stick in the lands and be pulled out a little when you take the case out. If this happens set the bullet long and blacken it with a dry erase marker. If the bullet pulls out some it will be obvious and you can even use the calipers to push it back till the line meets to get your measurement.

I do not use a comparator. I just use the OAL to the tip which will be different depending which type of bullet is measured.