Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2WidenersRepackboxLoad Data
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brand new rcbs pro melt pawn shop find.

It will last you way more than 5 years.

Oh yes, It will last more than yrs. I bought mine used in 2009 and it still works like a new one. RCBS just couldn't leave well enough alone and added the bells and whistles to the next generation ProMelt and those fancy add on's just don't live to well in a hot environment. The one you have is a grail find for that very reason.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by THE_ANTIDOTE View Post
    I apologize for the late response...been doctoring up one of our breeder bulls. Well, I broke it in...kinda wish I had kept it all new. It is everything I have read/heard about it...them. Only took about 35-40 minutes to get a pot of lead melted and into bullets. I foresee that I will run out of lead pretty quick. It's difficult to want to stop casting being that the lead flows so smoothly. Not once did the lead freeze on me which was one of my worries. That flat end on the plunger sure makes a world of a difference from the tapered pro melt II's. I usually am not this fortunate or lucky. I'm usually the guy that ends up losing out because I am dollars too short and minutes too late. I end up settling for the fixer uppers missing that one or two parts to make it work...just to find out said parts have been/are discontinued. Even when I got this one home and unboxed it...I was already fearing that I had made a bad decision since I didn't see a lid for it like the one on the Pro Melt II's. I must have looked at the image on the box about 4-5 times before I realized...it doesn't come with a lid. If this lasts me a good 5 years at least...I will be so grateful.
    Only one of mine was new. The other 2 are older variations. The newest is 15 years old.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    Oh yes, It will last more than yrs. I bought mine used in 2009 and it still works like a new one. RCBS just couldn't leave well enough alone and added the bells and whistles to the next generation ProMelt and those fancy add on's just don't live to well in a hot environment. The one you have is a grail find for that very reason.
    RCBS most likely wasn't moving enough of them and saw we were adding the PID for temperature control. The PID mounted in the rear sheetmetal comes at a cost. Poor ventilation and having to add the cooling fan. Most modern ovens have the same basic control and have a lot of air moving through them even though they operate at a lower temp. Screens get blocked on them and the PID control never acts the same even after you clean them. You should see what the digital control costs for them. If you separate the the PID from the heat source or compartment they fare much better and are more accurate. They just need to stay close to ambient temp.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by THE_ANTIDOTE View Post
    ... If this lasts me a good 5 years at least...I will be so grateful.
    I bought mine used at an estate sale, so I have never seen the bottom of the valve rod.

But, if it is anything like mine; your grandkids will be using it long after you and your kids are gone.

Robert

Great casting pot!

I used the same Lee 20 lb drip-o-matic pot for 30 years. I have to say dollar for dollar, they can't be beat. I finally decided to get the ProMelt and did so. The Lee has been mothballed and is backup just in case.
    The ProMelt is worlds ahead of everyone. If you are a volume caster (I usually do runs of 1000 or so bullets) you will note a real difference in the flow, temp stability and just ease of use. I cast mostly with H&G 4 & 6 cavity moulds and yes, you will empty the pot rather quickly. Preheat your ingots and it helps.
    HOWEVER, you need to let the whole thing cool down when you are done. That necessitates leaving it plugged in to run the fan. I don't know about you, but I don't want to have to go back and check on it 2 hours later. When I'm done I am done.
    Get a timer that plugs in to the outlet, and plug the pot into the timer. When you are done, bring the temp indicator to zero, set the timer for 2 hours and it goes off for you. Cooled down and ready to go again.
    This needs to be done otherwise you will eventually fry the controller....or so I was told.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Buddy
    Lasting a few years should not be a problem. I have two "Ohio" pro melt pots. These were made before RCBS bought the rights to mfg them. You can set several ingots on top of the pot to preheat them. Enjoy the best lead pot made.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12