Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2RepackboxLee PrecisionLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: 1911 Gadget Retainer

Boolit Bub

1911 Gadget Retainer

Please move this if posted wrong.
    I couldn't figure out a decent title for this thread so I'm going to try to describe it.
    I'm looking for a gadget that mounts under the right side grip and is held by the grip screws.
    Its a thin piece of steel that is bent to allow the steel to go over your belt and help hold the 1911 when carried IWB.
    Can anybody tell me what its called?

Boolit Master

I have saw them in adds on holster and they are usually call steel belt clips and steel belt hangers. That is all I know from your description. I have never seen them for sale as stand alone items though. james

Boolit Buddy

Try Clip Draw gun clip Available on Amazon GW

Boolit Master
    FWIW, a long time ago I had a clip retainer on a pistol. It was very uncomfortable to carry IWB and was too 'loose' to carry OWB. It did work to stabilize the gun when carried in a pocket. At one time they were called 'boot clips' but that was also very uncomfortable.

When I had a gun that I could 'comfortably' carry IWB without a holster (Colt 1903) the old string trick worked better.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by G W Wade View Post
    Try Clip Draw gun clip Available on Amazon GW
    Thanks,this was exactly what I was looking for!

Boolit Master
    I tried one of those long ago. I found it to be a bit cumbersome.

I like a very low profile type of carry for daily SD use. And,, I have a business that takes me to a lot of homes & customers,, who,, say,, are not of the firearm enjoying crowd. I have a vehicle mounted holster,, that my SD handgun enjoys when I'm in my truck.
    BUT,, when I exit my vehicle, and want to carry my handgun, I don't even wear a holster. I tuck my gun inside my pants, (IWB style) allowing my belt to be the retention device. But my belts are NOT whimpy, flimsy belts. I use the heavy webbed actual gunbelts. I have a few different brands,, but the stiffer, thicker ones do an excellent job for me.
    I can easily tuck the handgun inside my pants, and it carrys close to my body, yet is also easily drawn when necessary. And if I'm going to a customer's house, I don't need an empty holster visible to them.
    And my method also has often surprised folks when they suddenly realize I'm carrying. It's very low printing & low profile.

And the clip,, it affects the way I grip a handgun. I decided I didn't like it.

Boolit Buddy
    I quit using this gadget because while it retained the weapon, it allowed it to constantly change position.

Boolit Master
    I found these clips to interfere with my handling of the pistol. My tactic is to tighten my pants belt 1 notch tighter than is comfortable, then insert the pistol between the pants and shirt. Holds the pistol securely and adds no bulk to the pistol. If the pistol moves on the waist, remove it from the belt area, tighten the belt one more notch and re-insert the firearm. This has worked well for many years and I have never lost a pistol from the waist band doing this. YMMV.

Boolit Master

I used one for quite a while on an Officer's model Colt. I really liked it. It allows for the pistol to be kept very low on the belt line. Be aware if using one where it is humid or if you sweat a lot. There is no holster to protect the finish so thorough and often cleanings are required. Be sure to remove the grips when cleaning to inspect that area.