Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWidenersSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 45 acp

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    I'd also be inclined to try a small batch of them at 4/1 lead/mono, because you certainly don't need WW for 825fps .45 Auto. My only concern would be about reducing the tin content to where fillout suffers. If you have to fight to get a pretty bullet with that mix, you can always drop a chunk of mono in the pot.
    True enough

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hick View Post
    I've been working on this same problem myself. I have antimonial lead and 1:25 and have been trying a 50:50 blend, which shoots very nicely in my 1911's. Just recently I started working with the 452-374. The tricky part is that, if you seat them to the groove they will be too long for a 1911 mag-- so you have to seat them deep. Layman Cast Bullet handbook has loads for 452-3764 seated deep in 45 acp. BUT when seated deep they tend to get swaged down in diameter and sometimes tumble.
    For what its worth, I tested 452-374 sized 0.452 and seated to 1.272 (which is deep for that bullet, but necessary to fit the 1911 mag). I used 4.0 grains Titegroup the starting load from the Lyman Cast Bullet handbook. The Lyman load was for the 1.272" COL. One batch was traditional lube the other was Powder coated. My bullets have a BHN about 10 and the bullets tended to be swaged down some due to the deep seating. The lubed ones leaded my barrel but shot nice. The PC'd ones showed no fouling or leading and shot very nicely indeed!
    Hick: Iron sights!

When you say quick load, you mean higher vel? I would mix 4-1, lead to mono & load it over max charge of Unique for an accurate higher vel load. There are other powders of course but accuracy with Unique & lead bullets has always been very good, especially at the top end.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    4-1 will give you a BHN of 12.6 which is good for a 45. Probably a little harder than need be but you did say you wanted hardball. Hardball is actually 16 BHN and that is in the 2100 FPS rifle category.

Put 8-9 Lbs your soft lead 1-2 lbs montype and cast away size to .452 and load to hardball length look in lyman book or match to any hardball ammo as a deference and go have fun. 231/HP38 about 5 grians

+ 1 on the 231/HP38

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12