Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GP100 - What grips do you run?

Boolit Master

GP100 - What grips do you run?

Just called my buddy who owns a local gun store and had him order me a new GP100 in 6" (Model 1707 if you're wondering). Got a hell of a deal on a new model at wholesale price ($717 to the door). But those Hogue grips are godawful ugly... I'm a bigger fan of the older rubber grips with rosewood inserts. But whatever I put on it, those ones coming from the factory have to go...

That said, what grips you guys running on yours? I prefer rubber for extra cushion, but not opposed to wood either. I am kinda partial to those older style factory grips though... What do you suggest?
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

My 4" stainless .357 has the factory rose wood inserts. I just can't find anything I think looks better. You might check these guys out though.

https://chigsgrips.com/
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Minerat View Post
    My 4" stainless .357 has the factory rose wood inserts. I just can't find anything I think looks better. You might check these guys out though.

https://chigsgrips.com/
    Those are nice options for sure!

And I agree with you. Ruger had it right with their OG grips. The only upgrade from those were the inserts for them. That said, a couple of those grips for the redhawk on that page are NICE!
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Boolit Buddy
    I have the rosewood insert grips on my 7 shot 357 and on my Lipsey 5" 44spl. I like the way they look.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200212_154521.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	324540

Boolit Master

I run all the different grips, but I like the smooth Hogue grips the best. I do use grip tape over all the grips.

Name:	E2D250D3-E349-4549-922B-A864D6A43DF5.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	324541

I have the pebbled texture Hogue’s. Not pretty but pretty comfortable for me.

you should still search about the ones available for the super redhawk, because they are interchangeable with the gp100
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wilecoyote View Post
    you should still search about the ones available for the super redhawk, because they are interchangeable with the gp100
    I will, thanks for that. I didn't realize they were interchangeable, of course I've never held a redhawk in my hands.... Excited for this GP100 to come in, this is intended to replace my aging K-frame. My buddy just text me and said it should be here Monday.

When I had my 6”, I kept the big Hogue finger groove grip on it. It just fit my hand perfectly, and it showed in my shooting. I now have a Lypseys 5” with the stock wood grips. I like those too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0288.jpg   IMG_0381.jpg  
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Master
    The Super Redhawk and the GP100 can interchange grips, the Redhawk will not.

That said, I prefer the OG rubber grip with the wood inserts. They fit my hand and take the recoil.
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

Boolit Master
    Those wood grips are very nice. I like the Lipsey model, but I wanted the full 6". I probably would have taken an 8" had they offered it in one.....

I setup the 6” for hunting deer. I just couldn’t bring myself to taking a 357. I know it will do the job, but I just couldn’t leave my 45 colt home!

Moderator Emeritus

On my GP-100, I swapped my factory grips with a set from Altamont, kind of a fish scale checkering.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

Name:	IMG_3809.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	324562
    This is the only GP100 I have, and I went with these, Ruger GP100 2 3/4" Round butt with the insert. Works for me.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

I like these from Hogue

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    As an instructor,, I always tell folks to find a set of grips that fit THEIR hands.

Personally, when I first picked up a Ruger GP-100 Match Champion, with the MC grips,, they fit MY hands & I love them. Other people find other grips work better for them.

Still have the 6" gp100 from the first year they came out. Never found a reason to change the original rosewood insert grips.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    Still have the 6" gp100 from the first year they came out. Never found a reason to change the original rosewood insert grips.
    Yeah, but the grips that come standard on them now are not the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also like the Altamonts. Nice size, nice feel in my hands.
    https://www.altamontco.com/pistol-grips/ruger/gp100

If you decide to go with the wood insert grips, realize that there are two different sizes. There are the full size ones, and compact ones.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast