Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load DataRepackbox
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: .410 primers

Boolit Mold

.410 primers

I just reloaded some Fiocchi 2 1/2” that have only been shot once. A few of the Cheddite primers I installed went in to the primer pocket quite easily. I could push them in with my finger and only had to tap them flush. Are they ok to load and shoot?

Boolit Master

Not sure

But Ballistic Products sells a Universal Primer Pocket Conditioner https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Un...tinfo/0740010/
    That with a tap will return the primer pocket to the proper size

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Master
    That tool really works well. I use it frequently.

Several years ago I reloaded some 12 gauge that had primers that were easily set. As I was loading the rounds in my shotgun the primers fell out. Not all primers have the same dimensions.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Master
    we dob of..nail varnish will hold them in place.

Boolit Master
    I've loaded many many 12 gauge where I could easily push the primers in with my fingers. Never had any problems from the practice.

Primer pockets and also primers vary a small amount in diameter.

Boolit Master
    noble sport or rio are large dia try those if you can find them

If primers dont fall out, all by them selves, load and shoot. Shotguns very low pressure.

It is best to get the tool that is stated . Some makers of hulls mainly the ones made in Europe have different size primer pockets. Not like the ones made in the US , it is best to measure the pocket and see if it will take a regular US 209 or not, then you can go from there. Years ago Rem 410 hulls had there own type of primers to use ,I still have some of those primers left . I found out on some of the Euro hulls in 12 or 20 they would fit. But I rather stay with the tool to set them to use the 209 hulls that takes the US primers,
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    Fiocchi uses a European primer which is a larger diameter than American primers. Cheddite primers are now the same size as American primers. You need to use Rio or Fiocchi or some other European sized primers. If you can push that primer and flush with your finger there’s not enough tension holding it in. Depending on the gun you’re firing it out of if it’s a semi-auto you stand a chance of a primer falling out and jamming the action. Undoubtedly you getting gas blow back out of that primer hole! Good way to destroy a firing pin. Would you think it was OK to put your primer in a pistol or a rifle cartridge? Granted shotgun is under considerably less pressure but still! Not exactly a good idea!
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master

As long as you're not using them in an auto (where they can cause a jam) I wouldn't worry about it. The nail polish idea should work well. BTW The Nobel Sport 688 primers are .002" larger than Cheddittes.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle