Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationWideners
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad DataRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision

Thread: Marlin 98 Shotgun

Boolit Mold

Marlin 98 Shotgun

I have a Marlin Model 98 pump shotgun and have read in several places that only low pressure shells should be used. How do I know if shells are low pressure? It doesn't say on the box. One gun shop told me low brass shells are low pressure, but I read somewhere low brass doesn't mean low pressure.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    It means it was built around BP pressures and probably shouldn't have more than something like an 1100 fps 1oz 12 ga type load . It's also possible that it has a 2-9/16" chamber unless it's specifically marked 2-3/4" .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    It's been so long since I bought factory shotshells that I'm not sure but IF they are still marked with "Drams Equivalent" powder, I would say anything with 3 or less "Dram Equiv" would be safe.

This would include typical Dove loads or the ones they used to call Field loads.

Boolit Master
    Of all the modern US factory shotshells high or low brass, with the exception of RST, I don't know of any truly low pressure loads. Modern powders for shotshells need to be loaded to higher pressures to ignite properly, i.e. no bloopers, and burn cleanly. Personally I wouldn't shoot any common US factory loads in that Marlin. I have the remains of a Winchester model 1893, precursor of the model 1897, that has a cracked frame from shooting modern ammunition. If you want/need to shoot it learn to reload shotshells and research proper low pressure loads for it.

Just me over priced $0.02 worth.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

I have a few of this series and the first thing to know is that the safety release is still working properly as in only 2 ways to open the action. Hammer down on the FP. or hammer back and cant open unless you depress the action release. If the action release is not working (common) that needs to be fixed before any kind of use. As fror the shells, I just shoot AA or Dove & Quail loads that are about the lightest ones in general. As mentioned by 35 rem, Keep a look out for low dram powder marked shells in the 3 or at most 3 1/4 Dram range (Win Rabbit & Squirrel). Winchester shells were still loaded in low brass with that dram equivalent. Once the factory load gets into 3 3/4 dram, they are in High brass (Pheasant) loads. Thats how Winchester used to mark their boxes. Not sure now. Seems the dram equivalent is being dropped from the boxes these days. Acadamy had 12g Wing & Clay 1oz loads at 1350fps low brass and the fact that its only 1oz at 1350 fps, is marked High Velocity on the box. Yet still loaded in low brass shells. I'm going to guess they are 3 1/4 dram. At $10 a box, I stocked up and they shoot well in my Marlin 98 models.

From the horse's mouth:

Marlin Issues Warning on Obsolete Shotguns

Marlin has no records of manufacture such as materials, heat treatment procedures, or acceptance standards.

This combination of age, unknown metallurgy, and life history in a large percentage of these units has prompted the company to strongly recommend against these guns being fired.

Of major concern are failures in the firing system - but there is no clear cut failure mode or sequence of events leading to such failures.

The effected Models are: 1898/98, 16, 17, 19, 19S, 19G, 19N, 21, 24, 24G, 26, 30, 42, 49, & 49N exposed-hammer slide-action shotguns; and Models 28, 31, 43, 44, 53, & 63 hammerless slide-action shotguns.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Pietro got it right to put the original warning up. Thats the first place to start and yet thousands of these guns have functioned well for years and years. The first model 1898 had been made up to 1905 and the improved versions all the way out to 1933. I particularly like these shotguns for light shooting but mine happen to be the latter 17, 19 and 24 models. If an early model, have it checked out for function and pay attention to the lightest loads if that's what one desires to do armed with the above warning. I have a 44 and its a great squirrel gun! I think there was maybe a tad of new model salesmanship in that letter.....just a tad.

Boolit Master

Low brass or High brass means nothing today. Dram equivalent only refers to velocity. Lower velocity ammo uses a faster powder so it ignites properly. The pressure is still up there. I doubt you can buy an actual low pressure loading today unless it's from a boutique company and I'm not familiar with any. Good advice to buy a press and wet up to load your own and also do considerable research on what powders and how much will result in low pressures.
    Good Luck, and be safe rather than sorry,
    Rick

When was the gun made? If it was made after about 1940, it is fine. If it was made before 1930 then only firing low recoil target loads would be in order.

Winchester Universals are such a Round and are between 1100 and 1150 FPS.

I have an Ithaca M37 that was made in 1940 and it is good to go but I never shoot anything but Winchester Universals or my Reloads in that gun which are in the same pressure range. It could take heavier loads but for Skeet or Doves which is what I use the gun for nothing heavier is needed.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com