MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
WidenersRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bob Hoyt rebore twist rate info

Boolit Grand Master
    .58 roundballer would be wonderful. Mr Hoyt has done many of various barrels for me and his advice has always been right on. Sounds like fun.

Boolit Master

My feeling after talking to him, is that he'll do anything you want. I think the 58 cal RB twist might be the best bet, best I understand, the the 62 smooth bore would be like a 20ga no choke- not my ideal turkey gun (JMHO)! On the other hand, he can put a faster twist on it so you could shoot conicals (albeit larger)

Boolit Buddy
    does anyone have his current contact info? He sounds like a guy I need to talk with. Thanks

Boolit Master
    Bobby Hoyt
    717-642-6696

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    Bobby Hoyt
    717-642-6696
    Thanks LAGS

Boolit Master
    With the understanding of being a busy guy and busy guys all around me, is there a known better/best time to contact him?

Boolit Master

I was told by "the net" that the best time was early in the morning before the machines started and he couldn't hear the phone. I called once at 7:30 (cst) and got an obvious answering machine message that said he was busy till fall, don't send him anything. I decided to try once more, a bit later, (like 11/2wks ago) about mid morning (10:30ish cst) and he answered and we had the conversation that I alluded to at the beginning of this thread. Best time? when he can answer the phone, and he will if he can. That's my brief experience

If he answered the phone when ever it rang im sure he would never get any thing done. Its a crap shoot when ever you call. I got lucky and his turn around with my barrel was fast. He must have got flooded with barrels right after i sent mine. Timing is every thing.
    Dont pee down my back and tell me its raining.

Boolit Master
    I just always leave him a message. Then he does return my call when he has time.
    But I am retired. So I usually am available to take his calls whenever he has time to call me back .

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the info! I will leave a message and hopefully see a Pennsylvania on inbound. The rash of telemarketers and "Potential Spam" in red letters lately has me ignoring it some. It is time I did something with the looks almost new outside, sewer pipe inside Renegade barrel I picked up a while back. Torn between the biggest RB I can get in there or a twist to squirt something big and patched.

Im going to try to get out to the range after work Monday and shoot my renegade barrel he did for me in 58 with a 1/60 twist. I.ve got a bunch of .562 balls i cast up and some different sized patches to try. I cant wait to shoot this barrel. I will give a range report when i get back. Im sure it will take a couple hundred shots to get the barrel broke in but thats ok. I had to shoot a couple hundred shots through my Hawkin 54 he made for me to settle it down and get more accurate and also became easier to load from shot to shot. I have been very happy with his work and he is really reasonable on his prices. Really a nice guy to talk to on the phone.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fordwannabe View Post
    i have been to bobs many times and he does have a boatload of barrels to do, however he is no slacker. He is out in the min shop about 5 am monday thru sat. He has done a few complete barrels for me, rebored some and relined others. I would tell him what i wanted to shoot as far as bullet and powder charge.... Then stand back and let the master loose on my barrel. He has been doing this more than 50 years and the man knows his stuff! I feel very fortunate to have found him and know him.
    i want to send a renegade barrel for him to bore and reline back to 54 cal. So i will have a true round ball barrel. What do you suggest i do for the twist?

at least a 1/60 to 1/66 i figure. He told me a 1/60 for the 58 with the short barrel and be able to shoot mini balls and patched balls accurately with good accuracy with moderate to heavy loads. I would call him and tell him what you will use the gun for and listen to what he says. Not his first rodeo thats for sure. He will know that to do and in the end you will be happy.

Boolit Master
    I had him reline a .54 Renegade barrel for me with a 1-66 twist.
    It shoots very well with RB’s , but I have not tried any slugs yet.
    But I did shoot it with 230 gr .45acp lead boolits in a sabot.
    So far they were very accurate at 25 yards.
    But I haven’t tried them at a farther distance yet.

Boolit Buddy
    Yes you gotta shoot his barrels in. I have several hundred rounds down the last barrel he made for me. Yesterday I was doing ladder test with 270 grain SAA bullets with HS-6 and the largest group at 50yards was an even inch for 8 shots. Thats with a 12.5 inch barrel. Tell him what you want to do and he will know what to do with it.

My favored means are:
    If I need information, to write him a letter with succinct questions and include a self addressed stamped envelope.
    If I need something done to include a detailed description with the piece.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12