WidenersSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Repackbox Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Good taste, mysterious soup.

Lots of things would work well for a liquid.
    Condensed mushroom or chicken soup, and/or a couple cans of Rotel tomatoes.

A can or two of enchilada sauce might be good to give it a 'Tex-Mex' sort of flair.
    Of course, if you do that and don't put shredded cheese on top, and serve it with cornbread--
    it'd be considered barbaric and only fit for starving heathens.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Shredded cheese in the soup is delicious. It adds flavor and.... has almost zero carbs. I swear the meat and veggies with cheese diet is making me stronger and healthier.

P.s....Since I just killed a mosquito I know it is the beginning of spring here.

Boolit Master
    I tried your soup with a twist. Got a 20 oz. bag of broccoli stir-fry from THE box store. Sliced about 1 lb of deer steak into thin strips. Put a bit of olive oil in the Presto Kitchen Kettle and cooked the deer at 350 till it was crusty on the edges. Added the frozen vegetables, has mushrooms and water chestnuts, 3 cups of water and cooked at the 350 for 20-30 minutes. Turned the thermostat to 250 for 1 hour. 1.5 hours total cook time. The frying rue incorporated into gravy. Really really good. Maybe next time try a cup less water. Got half a margarine tub leftover beside the deer and hog meatloaf leftovers from last night. No cooking for the next few nights. Mmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    I tried your soup with a twist. Got a 20 oz. bag of broccoli stir-fry from THE box store. Sliced about 1 lb of deer steak into thin strips. Put a bit of olive oil in the Presto Kitchen Kettle and cooked the deer at 350 till it was crusty on the edges. Added the frozen vegetables, has mushrooms and water chestnuts, 3 cups of water and cooked at the 350 for 20-30 minutes. Turned the thermostat to 250 for 1 hour. 1.5 hours total cook time. The frying rue incorporated into gravy. Really really good. Maybe next time try a cup less water. Got half a margarine tub leftover beside the deer and hog meatloaf leftovers from last night. No cooking for the next few nights. Mmmm.
    That sounds really good!

As mentioned above, sounds a lot like Hamburger Soup only with vegetable swaps.

Good stuff!

Tonight I cooked outside on the turkey burner. I tossed in a bag of frozen chopped onion in the pot with bag frozen mixed veggie blend of carrots, green beans, corn, peas, added salt and black pepper and garlic powder, poured in water, tossed in cut up cheese at the end, yum delicious. This one had no meat in it, still delicious.

Boolit Master
    You are very lucky to be able to eat anything you want without a doctor slapping your hand. My current diet allows NO beef or pork products, no foods with high or even medium fat content, sugar and everything containing it, and several lesser components. Most of my meat is chicken, turkey and fish. Sure gets boring. One day I asked my heart doctor if I was allowed to eat venison and he gave me an immediate "Yes". I then asked why he had not mentioned this sooner. He responded that most of his patients are followers of what he called the "Bambi Cult" and would be offended at the suggestion. Poor souls, they don't know what they are missing.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Recycled bullet View Post
    I have made a mysterious soup. It smells mysteriously delicious. The soup plot thickens. I could drink the water at the bottom, it is like nectar for me now.

I heat the dutch oven over medium flame of the gas range in my kitchen.
    I placed two bags of frozen mixed asian vegetables into the hot Dutch oven. Immediately after, I placed the block of 20% fat ground beef on top of the veggies, sprinkle some garlic seasoned salt into it all, put the lid on the dutch oven, and took a walk.

Stirred it a couple times for about and hour and a half.

Busted it all up with the spatula, for some unknown reason it tastes and smells so much better than the sum of the parts involved.

Life is good, hope yalls having a safe delicious Monday night.
    I have made a similar soup for many years.
    I brown the hamburger in the pot I make the soup. I also stir fry the vegetables before adding liquid.
    I am not sure which vegetables are in your "asian mix". but i use cauliflower, brocolli, pea pods, red pepper, miniature canned corn, and pearl barley. Sometimes a bit of while flour to thicken

To make Butter chicken, I use boneless chicken brown it , do the same stir friend vegetable mix, I do not add water but I add Commercial "butter chicken" mix from the foreign foods shelve at the store.

I use the same chicken recipe to make Musuman Curry (Thai) using coconut milk and May Ploy Musamun curry mix - serve over rice.
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Quote Originally Posted by 10x View Post
    I have made a similar soup for many years.
    I brown the hamburger in the pot I make the soup. I also stir fry the vegetables before adding liquid.
    I am not sure which vegetables are in your "asian mix". but i use cauliflower, brocolli, pea pods, red pepper, miniature canned corn, and pearl barley. Sometimes a bit of while flour to thicken

To make Butter chicken, I use boneless chicken brown it , do the same stir friend vegetable mix, I do not add water but I add Commercial "butter chicken" mix from the foreign foods shelve at the store.

I use the same chicken recipe to make Musuman Curry (Thai) using coconut milk and May Ploy Musamun curry mix - serve over rice.
    That sounds delicious!

Boolit Buddy
    If anyone likes Thai curries those little cans of curry mixes can be a game changer. All you have to do is cook the curry paste with a can of coconut milk then add whatever meats or veggies you like. Instant Thai curry that is as good as your standard Thai restaurant (I have seen restaurants use the same pastes). You can find these little cans in any Chinese grocery and they come in different styles. Red, green, yellow, Musamum etc. and I have even used pastes that were not specifically made for curries and they came out great too.

At the same store pick up some cans of coconut milk and make sure you don't use the sweetened coconut milk you find in regular groceries. You will also need a bottle of fish sauce. For those that never tried it it smells awful like rotten fish but it is required in any Thai dish or it doesn't taste right. Once you put it in food the smell goes away.
    Last edited by Delkal; 03-17-2024 at 11:53 AM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    If anyone likes Thai curries those little cans of curry mixes can be a game changer. All you have to do is cook the curry paste with a can of coconut milk then add whatever meats or veggies you like. Instant Thai curry that is as good as your standard Thai restaurant (I have seen restaurants use the same pastes). You can find these little cans in any Chinese grocery and they come in different styles. Red, green, yellow, Musamum etc. and I have even used pastes that were not specifically made for curries and they came out great too.

At the same store pick up some cans of coconut milk and make sure you don't use the sweetened coconut milk you find in regular groceries. You will also need a bottle of fish sauce. For those that never tried it it smells awful like rotten fish but it is required in any Thai dish or it doesn't taste right. Once you put it in food the smell goes away.
    Saw them making fish sauce in Viet Nam, it is rotten fish.. Still use to cook though

Thai or indonesian peanut sauce,
    Goes over chicken, pork ,or beef and vegetable kababs
    Even put it on my toast for breakfast.
    Build the recipe to your taste.
    coconut milk, red curry paste,
    cider or white vinegar, - not lime juice.
    pure peanut butter,
    soy sauce ,
    sugar and salt
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Saw them making fish sauce in Viet Nam, it is rotten fish.. Still use to cook though
    I saw some food kind of show awhile back that showed the company making the prized, high end brand of that stuff.
    They basically packed a tank about the size of a house with fish, and let it go for like 18 months.
    Then drained and bottled what came out at the bottom.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Buddy
    Yup. That is what it is and when you open your first bottle you might have some serious reservations on using it. But used in reasonable amount (~1/2 to 1 tsp per batch of curry) it doesn't taste like fish and it gives dishes a richer Umami flavor. I put some in a lot of American foods like chili or a soups and no one notices any kind of fish flavor. Its just that missing ingredient that makes it better. You can even put a small amount on steaks before you grill them to give a slight "dry aged" flavor with no hint of fish.

Fish sauces are not just Asian and the Europeans have versions of it too. The original ketchup was fish sauce based and it is a major ingredient in Worcestershire sauce. Look at the label and you will see anchovies.

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    I saw some food kind of show awhile back that showed the company making the prized, high end brand of that stuff.
    They basically packed a tank about the size of a house with fish, and let it go for like 18 months.
    Then drained and bottled what came out at the bottom.
    Hey Winger what do you mean when you say Let It Go? Is this fermented like beer or spirits process or is this some super disgusting bacterial decomposition fish farm offall being repurposed into something edible? I don't eat fish sauce and reading about a house size tank of old nasty fish bits that just "lets it go" makes me real glad I don't think I ever have.

Boolit Buddy
    Hey Winger what do you mean when you say Let It Go? Is this fermented like beer or spirits process or is this some super disgusting bacterial decomposition fish farm offall being repurposed into something edible? I don't eat fish sauce and reading about a house size tank of old nasty fish bits that just "lets it go" makes me real glad I don't think I ever have.
    He probably saw the same clip as I did. The company prides themselves on only using the freshest days catch of anchovies, then they mix it with only the purest salt and put it in 100 gallon ceramic jars with a lid.....then let the jars sit in the sun for a year or more then filter it to get the liquid! It is safe to eat because by the end there is nothing left to "go bad" and there is nothing that can get you sick in it.

Did you ever use Worcestershire sauce? If you did you were eating fish sauce with other spices. While the process of making it sounds bad people all over the world have used their varieties for thousands of years. For over a decade I have always had a bottle in my refrigerator and put it in a lot of western dishes. People are missing out if they are scared to try it. All of the recipes in this thread would have been improved by a few squirts of fish sauce at the end and no one would even get a hint of the fish smell. They would just taste better.

Make any of these recipes and taste it and there will probably be something missing. Then add a dash of fish sauce and taste it again. You will probably add another dash.

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    He probably saw the same clip as I did. The company prides themselves on only using the freshest days catch of anchovies, then the mix it with salt and put it in 100 gallon ceramic jars with a lid.....then let the jars sit in the sun for a year or more and filter it to get the liquid! It is safe to eat because by the end there is nothing left to "go bad" and there is nothing that can get you sick left in it.

Did you ever use Worcestershire sauce? If you did you were eating fish sauce with other spices. While the process of making it sounds bad people all over the world have used their varieties for thousands of years. For over a decade I have always had a bottle in my refrigerator and put it in a lot of western dishes. People are missing out if they are scared to try it. All of the recipes in this thread would have been improved by a few squirts of fish sauce at the end and no one even get a hint of the fish smell. Make any of these recipes and taste it and there will probably be something missing. Then add a dash of fish sauce and taste it again. You will probably add another dash.
    Probably won't kill me to try it!

Hey Winger what do you mean when you say Let It Go? .
    What I gathered was they closed the lid and walked away for a year & 1/2.

Then, start filling the next one. The place where they made it had several.
    And somehow, when one tank was drained and emptied, I have my doubts about how well it was
    cleaned and steralized before being filled again.

I'm good with the Asian Soy Sauces, and even those hot sauces that make you feel like a fire breathing dragon,,,
    but those other 'sauces' -- like those rotten chicken eggs in the Philippines,,
    they're a bit much for me and my delicate sensabilities.

EVERYONE!

What I gathered was they closed the lid and walked away for a year & 1/2.

Then, start filling the next one. The place where they made it had several.
    And somehow, when one tank was drained and emptied, I have my doubts about how well it was
    cleaned and steralized before being filled again.

I'm good with the Asian Soy Sauces, and even those hot sauces that make you feel like a fire breathing dragon,,,
    but those other 'sauces' -- like those rotten chicken eggs in the Philippines,,
    they're a bit much for me and my delicate sensabilities.
    "but those other 'sauces' -- like those rotten chicken eggs in the Philippines,, ""

Wow that probably smells far too fragrant for my sensibilities also!!!

Wow that probably smells far too fragrant for my sensibilities also!!!
    Oh yeah.
    Just walking down the street in their corner of the world, you could smell the places that served/sold them.

My understanding was they took a fertalized chicken egg, buried in the sand out side.
    Waited a month, then came back and got them.
    I guess they dropped them in a jar of vinegar, or maybe something like that nasty fish sauce to 'preserve' them.

EVERYONE!

Oh yeah.
    Just walking down the street in their corner of the world, you could smell the places that served/sold them.

My understanding was they took a fertalized chicken egg, buried in the sand out side.
    Waited a month, then came back and got them.
    I guess they dropped them in a jar of vinegar, or maybe something like that nasty fish sauce to 'preserve' them.
    "took a fertalized chicken egg, buried in the sand out side.

Waited a month,"

This sounds like a job for gasoline and matches. I guess if you work there making those eggs you're bringing that smell everywhere you go following you around like a sulphuric shadow.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast