Snyders JerkyLoad DataWidenersReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tick Control Via Ivermectin Coated Deer Corn

Tick Control Via Ivermectin Coated Deer Corn

There have been some interesting studies regarding using pour-on Ivermectin mixed with deer corn for tick control. Please check your local laws regarding feeding deer if you choose to proceed with this.

Here are the studies:
    https://academic.oup.com/jme/article...77?login=false

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/8667385/

And the relevant parts of them:
    "Control values that were calculated for all ticks collected in both pastures during 1993 showed 83.4% fewer adults, 92.4% fewer nymphs and 100.0% fewer larval masses in the treatment versus control pasture."

Regarding using Pour-on:
    "Because it is meant for external pour-on application to cattle, Cydectin contains naphtha petroleum, a light aromatic solvent that helps the product spread and adhere to the animal, providing some protection from the elements as it penetrates the skin and systemically translocates. As a result, we thought the scent of petroleum might be off-putting to white-tailed deer, so we decided first to perform a rudimentary taste test in which we placed several piles of Cydectin Pour-On-treated corn on the ground next to paired piles treated with the less offensive-smelling Cydectin Oral Drench for sheep. Corn treated with Cydectin Oral Drench for sheep remained largely untouched by wild white-tailed deer while the Cydectin Pour-On-treated corn was consumed. As a result, a more rigorous feeding trial with the Pour-On formulation was warranted."

From the study:
    Deer ear after 27 days of Ivermectin corn:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tick ear1 none.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	324434

No Ivermectin in corn 0%:

Name:	tick ear2.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	324435
    Last edited by steve urquell; 03-15-2024 at 09:44 PM.
    Dan Wesson 744V .44mag, S&W Mod 19-4 .357 , Stevens 200 .223

Boolit Buddy
    I assume this works for dogs also.....We use Ivermectin orally on our dogs on a monthly basis for heartworm prevention. Also have been giving a very expensive tick preventive. Our dogs have no ticks. I always assumed the tick preventive drug was doing it's job. It is very expensive and I forget the name right now. Makes me think the ivermectin may be doing just as much good if not more. Ivermectin is cheap.

Thanks, Floyd

Boolit Buddy
    Ivermectin is your friend, Ive been using it on my garden ,pets and myself for 3 1/2 years now with great results . contrary to your government it's not just a horse wormer

Boolit Master
    Yeah..... you're looking at 30 year old data. The reason that ivermectin resistance is increasing exponentially is because of jackwagons like that underdosing to the point of stupidity. Whomever decided that underdosing the macrocyclic lactones is a good decision should be drawn and quartered. (Ask South Africa)

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by steve urquell View Post
    I live on 24 acres in Arkansas in the woods. Ticks are a problem here. Deer in the yard all the time. I have sprayed gallons of Bifentherin in the past with decent results but really hate that method because of other species that are affected.

I had a patient tell me that he began to mix Ivermectin pour on in deer corn at 1/2 cup per 40lb bag and has had a huge decrease in ticks on his property. I researched it and there are several peer-reviewed studies that show it is effective in reducing tick populations in the 90% range.

I started doing it last year later on in the year and had a good reduction in my tick population. Early spring is really bad here so I just started up again after deer season ended so it wouldn't end up in the meat.

Here are the studies:

"Control values that were calculated for all ticks collected in both pastures during 1993 showed 83.4% fewer adults, 92.4% fewer nymphs and 100.0% fewer larval masses in the treatment versus control pasture."

Regarding using Pour-on:
    "Because it is meant for external pour-on application to cattle, Cydectin contains naphtha petroleum, a light aromatic solvent that helps the product spread and adhere to the animal, providing some protection from the elements as it penetrates the skin and systemically translocates. As a result, we thought the scent of petroleum might be off-putting to white-tailed deer, so we decided first to perform a rudimentary taste test in which we placed several piles of Cydectin Pour-On-treated corn on the ground next to paired piles treated with the less offensive-smelling Cydectin Oral Drench for sheep. Corn treated with Cydectin Oral Drench for sheep remained largely untouched by wild white-tailed deer while the Cydectin Pour-On-treated corn was consumed. As a result, a more rigorous feeding trial with the Pour-On formulation was warranted."

From the study:

I have a bottle I measured and marked for 1/2 cup
    Attachment 324436

I tried a paint mixer on my drill but found it easier just to use my hands to mix it with dishwashing gloves
    Attachment 324437

My feeder hangs from a cable I threw over a limb. I fill it from my truck bed. Feeds at 6:30 AM/PM
    Attachment 324438

Deer sampling my wares last night.
    Attachment 324439

Last year after feeding for several weeks I walked thru my field and had zero ticks on me. I did not spray any poison last year and it was still the most tick-free year I had spent living here for the last 24 years. This spring will really be the test of this. Last year I had ticks crawling over rubber boots saturated in high% Deet before I started feeding Ivermectin treated corn.

When it was approaching deer season last year I switched feeding to Cydectin which does not go into the meat. It is more expensive though so I may just stop feeding Ivermectin this year 3 weeks before deer season.
    Oh - and yes!! Moxidectin does go "into meat"https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/14606429/

So do eprinectin, doramectin, etc, ad nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by floydboy View Post
    I assume this works for dogs also.....We use Ivermectin orally on our dogs on a monthly basis for heartworm prevention. Also have been giving a very expensive tick preventive. Our dogs have no ticks. I always assumed the tick preventive drug was doing it's job. It is very expensive and I forget the name right now. Makes me think the ivermectin may be doing just as much good if not more. Ivermectin is cheap.

Thanks, Floyd
    Thanks. I don't know the ppm required to keep dogs tick free so that would require research.

Quote Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
    Ivermectin is your friend, Ive been using it on my garden ,pets and myself for 3 1/2 years now with great results . contrary to your government it's not just a horse wormer
    Thank you sir. Reply below is not directed at you.

I will not reply to the person trolling above. Just a waste of time but for the members who know how to reply in a civil manner. The second report was published in 2023 and here is what it says about Cydectin/moxidectin transmission into meat.

"The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) requires a 0-day withdrawal period for use of Cydectin in beef and lactating cattle (NIH 2020); meat and milk from treated cattle can be consumed at any time post-treatment. The 0-day withdrawal period may translate well for use in white-tailed deer for control of ectoparasites during state-regulated hunting seasons when there is a high possibility of a human taking and consuming an animal"

Boolit Buddy
    You know it Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
    You know it Steve

Boolit Buddy
    Your ivermectin dose is a little high. The paper uses 10 mg of ivermectin per pound of corn. So thats 2 ml of the pour-on per pound of corn. With 40 pounds of corn that is 80 ml which is 1/3 of a cup. I don't think dosing them 1.5x that will hurt them but it is not needed and it will reduce your cost.

And be careful about letting people know what you are doing. I know some scientists did it but the pour-on is not licensed for oral use and probably not for game animals either. The wrong fed knocking on your door can ruin your day.

Boolit Master

the label has a withdrawal time for slaughter. not to sure its worth worrying about as most country folks use ivermectin paste on their toast.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master
    Thank you sir. Reply below is not directed at you.

I will not reply to the person trolling above. Just a waste of time but for the members who know how to reply in a civil manner. The second report was published in 2023 and here is what it says about Cydectin/moxidectin transmission into meat.

"The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) requires a 0-day withdrawal period for use of Cydectin in beef and lactating cattle (NIH 2020); meat and milk from treated cattle can be consumed at any time post-treatment. The 0-day withdrawal period may translate well for use in white-tailed deer for control of ectoparasites during state-regulated hunting seasons when there is a high possibility of a human taking and consuming an animal"
    Definitely not trolling. Do your research. Enjoy your post and your day!!! Peace out!

I guess one parting thought - tried buying a bottle of penicillin or LA200 from your local feed store lately??
    This type of thought is the reason.
    Last edited by cwtebay; 03-11-2024 at 09:07 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks. I don't know the ppm required to keep dogs tick free so that would require research.
    Do not use livestock grade ivermectin on a dog. Dogs are extremely sensitive to ivermectin so the rules about dose per kilogram for other animals including humans do not apply. Its been years but I think when I calculated the dose for my dog it was something like 0.02 ml or less of the injectable given orally. You can not measure that out with a standard syringe and its not worth the risk ODing your pet.

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    Your ivermectin dose is a little high. The paper uses 10 mg of ivermectin per pound of corn. So thats 2 ml of the pour-on per pound of corn. With 40 pounds of corn that is 80 ml which is 1/3 of a cup. I don't think dosing them 1.5x that will hurt them but it is not needed and it will reduce your cost.

And be careful about letting people know what you are doing. I know some scientists did it but the pour-on is not licensed for oral use and probably not for game animals either. The wrong fed knocking on your door can ruin your day.
    You are correct on dosage.
    Last edited by steve urquell; 03-15-2024 at 09:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    the label has a withdrawal time for slaughter. not to sure its worth worrying about as most country folks use ivermectin paste on their toast.
    The time requirement per Merck is 8-14 days.

Cydectin is 0 days.
    Last edited by steve urquell; 03-15-2024 at 09:40 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    From what I recall, most tick borne diseases are transmitted from ticks infecting mice.

But if this idea worked, feeding deer in MI is illegal due to TB and CWD. I suspect that applies to other states with deer disease issues. Our DNR enforces it too.

I got Lyme disease last year. I wish there was something we could take. I invested a few hundred dollars in treated jeans and shirts from Insect Shield. Never had a tick after wearing them.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post

I got Lyme disease last year. I wish there was something we could take. I invested a few hundred dollars in treated jeans and shirts from Insect Shield. Never had a tick after wearing them.
    Don, a few years ago I got Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever from a tick. Not necessarily a fun thing, but it was obvious there was something wrong. First tick bite in my life that looked like I had a marble under the skin.

Anyway, since then I have been using permethrin on my clothes and boots during tick season. Supposed to last six weeks between treatments.

Results: zero ticks on me for the last five years or so.

Hope this helps,

Robert

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    Don, a few years ago I got Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever from a tick. Not necessarily a fun thing, but it was obvious there was something wrong. First tick bite in my life that looked like I had a marble under the skin.

Anyway, since then I have been using permethrin on my clothes and boots during tick season. Supposed to last six weeks between treatments.

Results: zero ticks on me for the last five years or so.

Hope this helps,

Robert
    Robert, the clothes from Insect Shield are treated with the same chemical but they are rated for 70 washings or 10 years.

My whole forearm swelled up and I was lucky it did not get worse. Antibiotics seemed to have beat it down but I know it can take years for the effects to surface. Mine was from a deer tick.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    Do not use livestock grade ivermectin on a dog. Dogs are extremely sensitive to ivermectin so the rules about dose per kilogram for other animals including humans do not apply. Its been years but I think when I calculated the dose for my dog it was something like 0.02 ml or less of the injectable given orally. You can not measure that out with a standard syringe and its not worth the risk ODing your pet.
    You sir are about 1,000 wrong! The dose is .1 ml per 10 lb of weight! If your dog weighs 100 lb 1 ml (or cc). And you can most definitely use a standard syringe.The one breed of dogs that is ivermectin sensitive is collie’s! It is perfectly safe for non collie breeds! Ask any vet! It is the main ingredient in heart worm preventative. As a mater of fact it is a less invasive treatment for heart worm than the treatment some vets push on people! Furthermore the only difference between livestock and human grade is the livestock grade hasn’t been certified by food and drug admin., it comes from the same place! About the only thing you are correct on is that it is typically injectable given orally.
    Last edited by poppy42; 03-12-2024 at 02:10 AM. Reason: I hate freaking aito correct
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

I live on 24 acres in Arkansas in the woods. Ticks are a problem here. Deer in the yard all the time. I have sprayed gallons of Bifentherin in the past with decent results but really hate that method because of other species that are affected.

I had a patient tell me that he began to mix Ivermectin pour on in deer corn at 1/3 cup per 40lb bag and has had a huge decrease in ticks on his property. I researched it and there are several peer-reviewed studies that show it is effective in reducing tick populations in the 90% range.

I started doing it last year later on in the year and had a good reduction in my tick population. Early spring is really bad here so I just started up again after deer season ended so it wouldn't end up in the meat.

Here are the studies:

Regarding using Pour-on:

From the study:

I have a bottle I measured and marked for 1/3 cup
    Attachment 324436

I tried a paint mixer on my drill but found it easier just to use my hands to mix it with dishwashing gloves
    Attachment 324437

My feeder hangs from a cable I threw over a limb. I fill it from my truck bed. Feeds at 6:30 AM/PM
    Attachment 324438

Deer sampling my wares last night.
    Attachment 324439

Last year after feeding for several weeks I walked thru my field and had zero ticks on me. I did not spray any poison last year and it was still the most tick-free year I had spent living here for the last 24 years. This spring will really be the test of this. Last year I had ticks crawling over rubber boots saturated in high% Deet before I started feeding Ivermectin treated corn.

When it was approaching deer season last year I switched feeding to Cydectin which the FDA states does not require time to leave the animal before consumption of the meat or milk. It is more expensive though so I may just stop feeding Ivermectin this year 3 weeks before deer season.
    The second picture in your post, is that also an ear? Is that hundreds of tick bites, how does animal handle that without treatment? We have deer ticks and the larger wood ticks but seem to have more wood ticks.

What type of tick does that sort of damage?
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast