Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad DataRepackbox
RotoMetals2WidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tick Control Via Ivermectin Coated Deer Corn

Boolit Master
    probably not........I see a vid of a guy being arrested in Cali for feeding squirrels in his back yard........neighbours ratted (or squirelled) him out.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    From what I recall, most tick borne diseases are transmitted from ticks infecting mice.

But if this idea worked, feeding deer in MI is illegal due to TB and CWD. I suspect that applies to other states with deer disease issues. Our DNR enforces it too.

I got Lyme disease last year. I wish there was something we could take. I invested a few hundred dollars in treated jeans and shirts from Insect Shield. Never had a tick after wearing them.
    DIY tick tubes used to control ticks through rodents. Basically use toilet paper, paper towel or pvc tubes and treat cotton or dryer lint with permethrin. Starting in early spring. The rodents use the treated material for nesting coating them selves with it and as ticks emerge and are looking for a host they are poisoned with contact of the mice.

Instructions

If using paper towel rolls, cut each roll into 3 sections.
    Put on your gloves and protective eyewear.
    Combine 4 parts water with 1 part permethrin (ex: 4 cups water and 1 cup permethrin) in your mixing container. This is super easy if you’re using a container with ratio measurement lines.
    Add the cotton balls to the solution in your mixing container and stir them around a bit using your tongs so they soak up the solution.
    Using your tongs, transfer the cotton balls from the solution to your empty plastic container and allow them to dry for a few hours.
    Once your cotton balls are dry, put your gloves back on and stuff 3-5 cotton balls into each toilet paper tube. You just need enough that the cotton stays in there.
    Scatter your assembled tick tubes every 10 to 15 feet around the perimeter of your yard.

https://grassrootsfunctionalmedicine...og/tick-tubes/

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedjack View Post
    The military issued a small o.d. green with black writing bottle of chemicals that was to be applied to pants legs and lasting several washings along with a fold , tuck and tape inside the boots hardly ever had a tick on many field training exercises of course I suspect the military does not know or care who the FDA is !
    BTW the VA recently raised my disability rating due to cancer..........
    Do you think it was permetherin?
    Dan Wesson 744V .44mag, S&W Mod 19-4 .357 , Stevens 200 .223

Quote Originally Posted by NyFirefighter357 View Post
    DIY tick tubes used to control ticks through rodents. Basically use toilet paper, paper towel or pvc tubes and treat cotton or dryer lint with permethrin. Starting in early spring. The rodents use the treated material for nesting coating them selves with it and as ticks emerge and are looking for a host they are poisoned with contact of the mice.

Instructions

Combine 4 parts water with 1 part permethrin (ex: 4 cups water and 1 cup permethrin) in your mixing container. This is super easy if you’re using a container with ratio measurement lines.
    Add the cotton balls to the solution in your mixing container and stir them around a bit using your tongs so they soak up the solution.
    Using your tongs, transfer the cotton balls from the solution to your empty plastic container and allow them to dry for a few hours.
    Once your cotton balls are dry, put your gloves back on and stuff 3-5 cotton balls into each toilet paper tube. You just need enough that the cotton stays in there.
    Scatter your assembled tick tubes every 10 to 15 feet around the perimeter of your yard.

Thanks for posting this. I had read that chipmunks were the worst spreader of tick larvae. I used to have them in my back yard due to the prev owners of my house building decks around all the trees making great nesting sites.

When those were in place I had a really bad time with ticks needing to spray the yard every couple of weeks in the summer.
    After removing all of them the munks moved on and the tick problem reduced greatly.
    Dan Wesson 744V .44mag, S&W Mod 19-4 .357 , Stevens 200 .223

Boolit Buddy

Permethrin is neutralized by human skin contact according to a google search so that is why it is applied to shoes and clothing instead of skin in humans. Believe the main ingredient is all natural seem to remember reading it is also produced in a flower that people plant in their garden as natural pest control.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by akajun View Post
    Controlled burning reduces tick numbers as well. What about the sacks of pesticide powder i see hanging under cattle feeders, in barns, etc? I would think that would be effective as well from a trough feeder?
    yup..drips and powder sacks.. I use them on cattle strung across a narrow gate they have to pass thru to eat.. good for swine too.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by steve urquell View Post
    might have been ddt..

I don't hunt deer, but I've got a dozen that make daily passes through my land and near my house. Got my first tick yesterday. I'm in NW Arkansas and have them bad every year. I haven't been feeding the boogers but might start. Oh. We've had mice in the old house 6 out of 7 years we've been here and zero have had ticks on them.... just sayin

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by steve urquell View Post
    Permethrin isn’t really an insecticide well Kinda it interrupts the growth cycle and doesn’t allow juvenile techs to emerge as adults. With that being said you still have adult text to deal with

Sorry disregard what I just said write it off to a brain hiccup. Permethrin is actually a man-made insecticide that mimics a plant based natural one like Marigolds. It has replaced a lot of more toxic insecticides. Like I said sorry I was thinking of something else should’ve kept my big mouth shut
    I was actually thinking of Precor! Hey I’m old what can I tell you
    Last edited by poppy42; 03-14-2024 at 01:12 AM. Reason: Brain hiccup lol
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master

poppy You are one of the few who would actually say you made a mistake and I congratulate you on being a honorable man . hell we on here are all old for the most part .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NyFirefighter357 View Post

Instructions

Was just going to post about these. While I hate helping the voles and mice, it’s a good way to reduce ticks.

Not only is feeding wildlife illegal in many states but using products like ivermectin for off label uses is also illegal. There is no way to effectively dose wild animals since there is no way to control how much treated feed each animal consumes. Also there is no way to control other species like turkeys, etc. from consuming it. I know I will get some flack , but this is not a safe, effective or legal method of tick control. Not speaking as an amateur as I have a degree in wildlife biology and spent 32 years working for the NYSDEC as a pesticide and agricultural chemical regulator.

Boolit Master

When we had to quit burning fields in the Spring the ticks became a nuisance. Never had any before that. Went Trout fishing on our stream and by the time I got home I picked off 43 ticks! My wife said you're taking off your cloths outside not in the house!

Boolit Master
    I am pretty sure Permethrin is a poison of some sort since I use it on all of my jeans and it works great. Also out of the yellow bottles. It lasts an entire summer through many washes. At the end of the season last year I picked a tick of of a branch that I spotted and sat it on my pants on my leg and watched it. It ran like crazy for no more than a minute and then it started to stumble and spasm and in 3 minutes it was dead. These pants had been treated 3 months prior and had been washed many times.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123