RotoMetals2WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Norma Tac-22

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately

Norma Tac-22

What is your experience with this ammunition in autoloading handguns?

I'm looking for a replacement for WIN T-22 which has been discontinued as I'm down to my last carton of it, that I bought in the late 90s. This is for a Supermatic, so I want to stay in the SV range. Any other thoughts on a suitable replacement for the T-22? I have tried AGUILA, CCI, REM Target and FED Auto Match, none of which come close to performance of the T-22.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Wow...amazing how different things are from one person/gun to the next. I have over two bricks of T22 Match and it's some of the sorriest garbage I have ever shot. Will not cycle half the time and NOT accurate. I just feed it to revolvers and blast cans and rocks with it. I've had better luck with Thunderbolts....and they are garbage as well.

I have tried a lot of different 22 ammo and I have a hard time beating CCI Standard for the money. Lapua Pistol King and Pistol OSP will do amazing things but I can't pay that on a regular basis. Aguila Target/Competition did very well but it's hard to find around here.
    I've only shot 1 box of the Tac-22 but it seemed to do well but one box is hardly enough to make any claims.
    He that dasheth in pieces is come up before thy face: keep the munition, watch the way, make thy loins strong, fortify thy power mightily. Nahum 2:1

Boolit Buddy

My 107 Supermatic shoots TAC-22 just fine. Being a higher priced .22 round, I thought it would have better accuracy than Aguila, but it doesn't.
    I also shoot TAC-22 in my Colt Woodsman's, and it cycles just fine. The bullet has a very greasy lube that could be beneficial in autos.

Boolit Buddy
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    Greasy. Softer than imperial sizing wax, but maybe more tacky. Messy. I won’t buy more once it’s gone.

Both of my Ruger MKII's like the Norma Tac-22, and my CZ 452's really like the Norma Tac-22.

Here's a 100 yd. 5 shot Norma Tac-22 from my CZ 452 American

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20231221_180103.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	324447

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Shoots well, troublesome in autoloaders. I wont buy it unless its cheap.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Interesting reports on it. I bought a couple of bricks of it a while back. I think I tried a box or 2 a couple of years ago, but it's been a while. I'm hoping my Single Six likes or loves it. It loves Aguila so far.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Master

Tac-22 shoots great for me in my 10/22 and 22/45 auto loaders. It also shoots very well out of an old Mossberg 46a and my CZ 452 Lux. I bought a 5000 round case. Very happy with it.

Boolit Master
    It’s remarkably accurate out of all my rimfire handguns and rifles. None of my guns have any problems ejecting the empties. Yes, it’s a bit greasy….like many quality target standard velocity brands are….Eley, RWS, Lapua, etc. I don’t mind wiping my fingers off, paper towels and rags are pretty cheap. When I’m shooting groups I like to hit what I’m aiming at. I buy this stuff by the case. So far it’s on par with the best target ammo, or at least 95%. For the price it can’t be beat. FWIW, I’m getting under an inch groups with my SW auto loader at 25 yards and the same or less with my CZ rifle at 50 yards.

Super Moderator

I have also found it to be overly greasy, slimy might be a better description. Having to wipe your hands after handling it isn't really that big a deal, but I still don't like having to do it. It shot OK for me, but not good enough for me to want to buy it again. I have a Marvel conversion that is a tack driver and I mostly shoot CCI SV in it for practice. For more serious target work I shoot the Eley Tenex Pistol. I stocked up on quite a bit of it a few years back, it's expensive, but boy is it accurate.

I bought 2 cases of the Norma Tac-22 during the last administration , at that point it was 3.something cents a round.

Greasy and won’t cycle my semi autos. I will not be purchasing more.
    Proud to serve, U.S. Army Infantry

Boolit Master
    My Ruger MK II shoots it great, but it shoots Blaser 40gr as well. The Blaser is much cheaper to buy when it's on the shelves

Boolit Master
    SK got hard to find so I tried a case. Shot OK in the Suhl and Anschutz. Did good in the Victor and a 1911 22lr conversion. Sold the Victor and bought a Victory. Cycles and shoots good in it too. I clean my guns after using them. Haven't had any function problems so far.

Boolit Bub
    I love it in my 10/22. It’s super accurate add after rubbing it through a Waltz die, I have hunting ammo.

It works nicely in my Win. 69a and ok in some pistols but a couple HS mags jam. Have a few bricks bought cheap and also Match

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Tac-22 totally sux in my new Super Wrangler, biggest groups of anything I've tried so far.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Just because your favorite .22 ammo you have always used worked well before the .22 ammo shortage of 2013-2017 doesn't mean it still does. That period of time changed EVERYTHING in the .22 manufacturing biz. Because the manufacturers were running full tilt 24/7/365 during that time, quality control went to ****. I used to LOVE Winchester Super Speed in the red plastic 100-round boxes from Walmart. I scored some during the shortage and was thrilled to death to get it. That is, until they started blowing out case heads at about a 4% ratio.

Prior to that time, Aguila was the best bargain around. With their Eley priming, they were easily the best ammo in their price range. But then came the personnel shortages of the pandemic, and they lost some of their skilled long-time employees in the QA department. And quality took a nosedive from which it still has not recovered.
    Last edited by ShooterAZ; 03-20-2024 at 12:53 PM.
    When democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote.

Boolit Master
    Never had any problems with it, but was not impressed even a little. I shoot CCI SV with reasonable performance in all of my rifles. The 10/22 dotes on WW Power Point when high precision is desired and the rest are quite fond of SK Standard+.
    I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

Boolit Buddy
    A distinguished friend shoots SK in his Victor and Browning, and starts making excuses if he hasn't managed 810-815 in our weekly matches. And has a rag to wipe the oil off his hands when he stops shooting. I used to sort of manage 770 or so with a Victor or a 22/45, with Blazer. Shoulder went south, so that's history. Blazer is a little hot for target, but if you lay it beside CCI std vel, you can't tell them apart. And Blazer always goes off. Auto Match will do now, if your gun likes it. A Volquartsen firing pin will help a 22/45 if ignition is intermittent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast