Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Load DataInline FabricationRepackboxTitan Reloading
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another Remington 581!

Murph, if I remember right, the ''average'' price on these rifles is right around $500.00 right now. Last fall I gave $400.00 for a like new 1975 581 at a show figuring I did okay. I looked at a few 541's but at over $1,200.00 I let em sit. They're beautiful rifles, but they don't shoot any better, and I don't care for the ''engraving'' Remington put on the receivers. Now I'm concentrating on finding a nice 513T.
    Liberalism is a cult divorced from reality.

Ithaca Gunner,

I have a Remington 510 from the early 1940's, it's more accurate than I am. Fun for dirt clods, rouge tin cans and such. The first rifle I bought with my own money was back in the early 1970's, Remington Nylon 66. I sold it off in need of some quick cash (I was much younger and a whole lot dumber back then). I did however, replace it back about 15-16 years ago. It came in the original box with a scope, some sort of package deal back when it was sold. In the late 90's, I had my FFL dealer order me a 541-T. I mounted a Leupold 2X7 on it and it's tack driver. Yep, pretty covers my needs for .22 RF's. Oh, if I recall correctly I paid $455 for my 541T, still looks mint.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Lately one of my favorite plinking targets are the shale chips on the backstop of the 25/50yd. ranges. They range in size but are usually about thumb size and really stand out on the dark earth backstop even at 65yds from the shooting positions. They vanish when hit and can be a challenge some days. My favorite for this off hand sport is my Remington 121 pump, 1940 vin. It naturally comes up presenting the sights right where they need to be making first shot hits above 50% most days on the evil shale chips that work their way to the surface. If only there was a dump I could shoot at...

Boolit Bub
    Enjoy your 581, a great find.

Great score!

I only have four .22 rifles and they’re all Remington. My 581S and 510 here plus two Nylon 66s.
    The Weaver on the 510 is a B4…as in B4 I was born
    I’ve killed numerous prairie dogs at 150 yards with the 581. They do shoot very well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    The 540x just a single shot target version of the 581? Picked up a couple of them, well battered and used, but the one I scoped will still shoot very well. Trigger could use some work though.

Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    The 540x just a single shot target version of the 581? Picked up a couple of them, well battered and used, but the one I scoped will still shoot very well. Trigger could use some work though.
    Not the 581 repeater, but the 580 single shot. They share the same receiver and bolt at least.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12