RotoMetals2Load DataWidenersLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: W.J. Jeffery 8-bore double rifle

Where did you find a mold for the 85 caliber ball? Or did you have one made custom?

Beautiful rifle...I wish I was your neighbor. I'd love to see it first hand.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by redhawk0 View Post
    Where did you find a mold for the 85 caliber ball? Or did you have one made custom?

Beautiful rifle...I wish I was your neighbor. I'd love to see it first hand.

redhawk
    The mold is custom. My next plan is to have Accurate Molds make me a mold for a shorter boolit.

Boolit Buddy
    Matt,
    Congratulations on acquiring a very interesting rifle. On you chronograph problem, have you considered putting up a cardboard baffle in front of the first screen and shooting through that? You need to make darn sure you are lined up right, but the cardboard will catch most of the smoke and filler and keep it from getting over the sensors.
    This was a chrony trick taught to me by an old ballistician who recommended always putting a baffle up in front of your first screen when shooting subsonic ammo because the muzzle blast could beat the bullet to the first screen and give a false reading. This may have been more an issue with the old Oehler Sky Screens back in the 80's, but the baffle idea may help your scenario.
    Plus, if you ever feel like taking a drive to New England, I've got stash of Blue Dot.

Thank you much for sharing. That's an awesome and huge gun. I tried to guess the cartridges, and I was surprised that the small one on the end was 45-70. WOW.

I'm interested in where your find brass, and how much does brass cost?
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Master
    Man that is a beautiful gun. I personally wouldn't shoot it, I value the structural integrity of my shoulder too much. But I'd dang sure sit back, drink a beer, and watch you fire off all you want!
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Just don't understand the comments of hesitancy to fire a gun like this due to injury.
    People didn't get less physically capable in 100 years - 4 generations roughly, the gun weighs almost 17 pounds, and these gauge guns were mostly (if not all) BP guns - the acceleration and MV is lower than smokeless.
    People will shoot 8-9 lb 375s/416s/458s, or a 30 pound 50 BMG, and think they are OK, and not a gun like this?

Boolit Buddy
    @JRD that is a good idea!

My brass was made by Rocky Mountain Cartridge and costs around $25 per case. The pressures are very low and the brass is very thick. These should last a long time.

The recoil isn't as bad as most people think. A ball over black powder isn't going to hurt you as long as you hold the gun properly.
    Last edited by Matt85; 03-19-2024 at 07:37 PM.

Boolit Master
    Ages ago at Kittery Trading Post the guy who ran the reloading dept had a cast bullet business and he was selling 8 bore bullets that he cast looked like a 38 round nose on steriods,I bought one for laughs think I payed a dollar for it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TurnipEaterDown View Post
    Just don't understand the comments of hesitancy to fire a gun like this due to injury.
    People didn't get less physically capable in 100 years - 4 generations roughly, the gun weighs almost 17 pounds, and these gauge guns were mostly (if not all) BP guns - the acceleration and MV is lower than smokeless.
    People will shoot 8-9 lb 375s/416s/458s, or a 30 pound 50 BMG, and think they are OK, and not a gun like this?
    Um, the 1975 version of me would give it a go, but the 85 ft/lb free recoil would be way too much for the 2024 version with it's old, broken-down parts. For what it's worth, I don't shoot any of the others either. Heck, I don't even shoot 12 gauge any more.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    Um, the 1975 version of me would give it a go, but the 85 ft/lb free recoil would be way too much for the 2024 version with it's old, broken-down parts. For what it's worth, I don't shoot any of the others either. Heck, I don't even shoot 12 gauge any more.
    Well, 50 yrs of "advancement" is surely fair reason.
    My response was more general.
    I was taking the recoil comments more in the line of thought like the comments I used to get for shooting WT deer w/ 35 Whelen & 475 Linebaugh, people seemed horrified, or people willing to shoot an antelope at 300 yds w/ a 30-06 and not at 400 w/ a 300 Win Mag -- '...it'll tear 'em apart...'.
    I just don't get some of it.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by TurnipEaterDown View Post
    Well, 50 yrs of "advancement" is surely fair reason.
    My response was more general.
    I was taking the recoil comments more in the line of thought like the comments I used to get for shooting WT deer w/ 35 Whelen & 475 Linebaugh, people seemed horrified, or people willing to shoot an antelope at 300 yds w/ a 30-06 and not at 400 w/ a 300 Win Mag -- '...it'll tear 'em apart...'.
    I just don't get some of it.
    There are lots of silly beliefs out there. People hear 85 caliber and believe it's some monster hunting gun... When in reality the 8-bore was the 19th century version of the 375 H&H. The real monster rifle was the 4-bore, which was almost strictly an elephant rifle!

Boolit Master
    Matt85,

You might want to consider a custom Walker Colt built in .60 caliber, just to go along with your .85 rifle…LOL

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post
    Matt85,

You might want to consider a custom Walker Colt built in .60 caliber, just to go along with your .85 rifle…LOL
    I'm not much of a "handgun guy" but I do have a Pedersoli 69 caliber pistol. It's a neat novelty that I bring out to parties from time to time. I use a 65 caliber loose ball over 70gr of black powder. usually wrapped up in paper cartridges.

I did some more speed testing with the 8-bore last Sunday and it seems my NFB hunting load is giving me an average of 1311 fps with the 84-1200 boolit. This is slower than I thought it would be, but it seems to be the speed the gun likes. I also tried to chronograph the black powder cartridges but no luck .

Quote Originally Posted by JRD View Post
    Matt,
    Congratulations on acquiring a very interesting rifle. On you chronograph problem, have you considered putting up a cardboard baffle in front of the first screen and shooting through that? You need to make darn sure you are lined up right, but the cardboard will catch most of the smoke and filler and keep it from getting over the sensors.
    This was a chrony trick taught to me by an old ballistician who recommended always putting a baffle up in front of your first screen when shooting subsonic ammo because the muzzle blast could beat the bullet to the first screen and give a false reading. This may have been more an issue with the old Oehler Sky Screens back in the 80's, but the baffle idea may help your scenario.
    Plus, if you ever feel like taking a drive to New England, I've got stash of Blue Dot.
    That's a great trick, thank you for sharing.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Master

Great looking rifle, should be capable of stopping any rogue woodchucks and such! Nice that you are shooting it,that is what they were made for, not just display! Have fun and enjoy! Tim

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by tward View Post
    Great looking rifle, should be capable of stopping any rogue woodchucks and such! Nice that you are shooting it,that is what they were made for, not just display! Have fun and enjoy! Tim
    Thank you.

Im not a collector, if I don't shoot it, I sell it. If anything I wish it wasn't an antique. I feel a little bad using it as much as I do. It will be used heavily and worked fairly hard under my care.

Boolit Grand Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0648.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	325177

Matt 85 heres the pusher and sizer pusher needs the back end machined yet. should size to .8505

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0648.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	325177

Matt 85 heres the pusher and sizer pusher needs the back end machined yet. should size to .8505
    Thank you, looks good!

This will also allow me to test some 1300gr boolits a friend sent me, that are a bit too big.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12