Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: What are some interesting materials you used in swaging bullets?

Boolit Bub

What are some interesting materials you used in swaging bullets?

Curious as to know what you guys on here used to form some of your bullets besides just lead? It might inspire others with ideas or more interesting things that could be done with swaging bullets.

Boolit Buddy
    This is an interesting subject. To go along with the question.
    What kind of equipment do you use to form material other than lead?

Boolit Buddy
    What will happen if you use something like teflon instead of lead? Not the complete projectile but a tip or rotating bands? can you swage teflon?

Quote Originally Posted by kimoleto View Post
    What will happen if you use something like teflon instead of lead? Not the complete projectile but a tip or rotating bands? can you swage teflon?
    Not sure about the malleability of teflon but lots of swagers use airsoft balls for plastic tips on their swaged jacketed boolits.

Boolit Buddy
    I tried them (airsoft projectiles), making slugs for my Condor (.30) and my Texan (.50), I couldnt make them (big cavity HP slugs), guest my technique is wrong, allways ended up with a squashed ball, also tried corbin's sugestion but did not work... the sliced slugs do wonders but I was looking for other options

Boolit Buddy
    In the past Iv'e used spent primers on top of the lead core. I wasn't able to recover any of the 40 cal bullets so I have no idea if they expanded as I expected.

Boolit Master
    What will happen if you use something like teflon?

If you used Teflon for driving bands on a bullet it would strip out on the rifling instantly. Teflon lacks the mechanical strength to be used in this application. Also, when you melt/burn Teflon it gives off a highly toxic gas. Further, if you Google the subject it is even considered a bad idea to use Teflon containing lubricants in firearms barrels, either as a cleaner or a lubricant. The Teflon particles pack into the microscopic depressions and scratches in the steel and eventually act kinda like barrel leading (only worse). The built up Teflon scale can't be removed because it is immune to solvents, plus the heat required to degrade the Teflon would destroy the barrel. This build up degrades the firearms accuracy. Teflon based lubricants work very good for the mechanical parts on a firearm, but should not be used inside the barrel. There are even some people that tried using Teflon tape like paper on paper patched bullets, and this generally fails to work nearly as well as the paper. Sorry, but using Teflon in bullets is not really a good idea.
    PS: airsoft BB's are not teflon.
    Last edited by 405grain; 03-25-2024 at 12:50 AM.

Boolit Master
    I have used cornstarch,,,, Under high pressures it turns into a form of plastic.

Boolit Buddy
    Pipefitter, how high are the pressures?

Boolit Master
    Corbin megamite (hand) press with Corbin swage dies. Never tried to shoot any of them. Read about it and tried it to see if it was true.

Boolit Bub
    That's interesting, you have samples of it?

Boolit Buddy
    Really interesting facts about teflon, however I used it in airguns not in firearms, also tried as tape and it works, again in pcp rifles not in firearms. Anyway thanks for the tips.

Boolit Bub
    Has anybody tried swaging rubber bullets?

Boolit Master
    Based on GONRA's experience (GOOD ! !!) with olde Dave Corbin
    get a Corbin CSP-2 MegaMite HAND PRESS and blast away....

If New Corbin does NOT offer the Corbin CSP-2 MegaMite HAND PRESS anymore, yer screwed

Boolit Master
    GONRA sez - best to hava Harbor Freight Arbor Press For Dangerous swaging projects.
    Make yer own dies on yer Harbor Freight Screw Cutting (hasa leadscrew) metal lathe....
    THINK - be careful...
    DO NOT "cut corners - cheep out:"

Boolit Master

I Found the plastic in worn out Winchester AA shot shell hulls forms a nice point under pressure when cut into a small piece and set on core before point forming . Other materials and 6mm air soft pellets* just did not form as well . I had good 100 yard accuracy with the plastic tipped bullets from .223 I did not shoot them farther . A few of them did not form well also making a very bulky point .

* the air soft were tried in pistol calibers not .22 bullets .
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by firefly1957 View Post
    I Found the plastic in worn out Winchester AA shot shell hulls forms a nice point under pressure when cut into a small piece and set on core before point forming . Other materials and 6mm air soft pellets* just did not form as well . I had good 100 yard accuracy with the plastic tipped bullets from .223 I did not shoot them farther . A few of them did not form well also making a very bulky point .

* the air soft were tried in pistol calibers not .22 bullets .
    I just did some googling and it seems that the hulls are made out of PET, the same plastics that are used for soda bottles?

Boolit Buddy
    The older AA cases were made by a compression process, and all one piece.

The newer cases are made from a tube, with the base wad inserted.

The material used is different in each process.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax111 View Post
    The older AA cases were made by a compression process, and all one piece.

The newer cases are made from a tube, with the base wad inserted.

The material used is different in each process.
    Learn something new everyday.