WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee Precision
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: Finally decided to duplicate the original load in my 8-bore

Boolit Buddy

Finally decided to duplicate the original load in my 8-bore

Up until today, I have been using Blue Dot loads in my 8-bore double rifle. However, I finally decided to see what sort of fun it would be to duplicate the original regulating load for my gun.

Here is a copy of the original ledger for my gun (2982). It is hard to read but it says "10 drams Ro bullet", which I assume means 10 drams under a ball.:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Original ledger.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	324389

The load I used today was 275gr of Schuetzen 2F, a half inch cushion wad, a healthy dose of homemade black powder lube, under a 0.85" ball.

Here is the target from the two test shots. The shots crossed (left hit is the right barrel), which I suspect is due to the mold not producing the best balls (0.852" x 0.845"). I haven't had great luck with these balls over smokeless loads either.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ball over 275gr black powder.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	324390

This test was a ton of fun! I wasn't sure what to expect in terms of recoil, but it wasn't a lot more than the same ball over a "nitro for black" load or at least it was still less recoil than my conical boolit "nitro for black" loads. Also, the amount of smoke rapidly burning 550gr of black powder produces is incredible! My neighbors house completely disappeared in the cloud!

My next test will likely be my 1200gr conical boolits (Accurate Molds 84-1200) over the same charge. These boolits have proved more accurate and regulate well. I also have a lighter mold on order from Accurate Molds which should replace my use of balls.

Boolit Master
    awesome fun...but you neglected to video it so we could all share in the smoke cloud LOL.

WOW. Do you have a thread elsewhere on the gun? I assume it's an elephant/lion gun? I'd like to see pictures. Pictures of the gun, the bullets, the amount of powder.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Buddy
    In retrospect, I wish I had taken a picture of the smoke cloud.

I don't think I've posted any pictures of the rifle on this forum. It's a W.J. Jeffery 8-bore 3.25" (0.847" bores) double rifle with 24" barrels, rebounding hammers, and an "under lever" locking mechanism. This is a massive piece of shoulder artillery at 16lb 10oz but is well balanced and not difficult to aim or hold on target. Perhaps ill make a thread for the gun.

I recently read, from an old article, from I believe JJ Pourdeux of Champlins guns. The article was about regulating doubles. IIRC, it's all about powder charge. Rounds crossing need a different charge. But I can't recall if more or less powder is needed.
    If anyone would know about regulating a double rifle it would be JJ.
    Last edited by YippyKiYay; 03-12-2024 at 03:20 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by YippyKiYay View Post
    I recently read, from an old article, from I believe JJ Pourdeux of Champlins guns. The article was about regulating doubles. IIRC, it's all about powder charge. Rounds crossing need a different charge. But I can't recall if more or less powder is needed.
    If anyone would know about regulating a double rifle it would be JJ.
    When shots cross, you typically need to reduce velocity. If the shots are far apart, then you typically increase velocity.

In my case it is hard to tell, because I haven't had much luck with this ball mold.

IIRC, English black powder was sized from #2-#8. Getting finer in grind as the numbers increased, much as the F system is here in America. It'd be interesting to learn what number powder they used?
    Do you have a date for the log you posted? What did the bore slug at? I've read where there was little uniformity of bores during that time frame. Why many sets came with a mold.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by YippyKiYay View Post
    IIRC, English black powder was sized from #2-#8. Getting finer in grind as the numbers increased, much as the F system is here in America. It'd be interesting to learn what number powder they used?
    Do you have a date for the log you posted? What did the bore slug at? I've read where there was little uniformity of bores during that time frame. Why many sets came with a mold.
    The log appears to show a date of 21/10/95 (could be 96 though) for this particular gun and the bores slug at 0.847".

Btw, Tanner Molds in England can make you a RB mold for almost anything, and cheap.
    I know many muzzleloaders who need a unique RB have turned to them. The son now runs the business.
    Last edited by YippyKiYay; 03-14-2024 at 07:01 PM. Reason: More info