Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionWideners
Load DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: Need starting load suggestions Magma 45-285 FP-FB

Boolit Buddy

Need starting load suggestions Magma 45-285 FP-FB

I just received my new to me Magma 45-285-FP-FB I cast 200 bullets with wheel weight lead and powdercoated them.
    They passed the smash test with flying colors.

I also have a Star Lube Sizer with a .452" sizing die.
    I am sizing the powder coated bullets

I would like to shoot them out of my S&W X-frame.
    I have 454 Casull, and 460 S&W brass.
    The overall length of the bullet is 0.730".

The cartridge OAL is 1.679"
    I am assuming that the bullet must be crimped like my 454 Casull dummy round.

Up to now I've only loaded 115gr RN 9mm and 230gr RN 45.ACP in lead bullets.
    I'm used to loading jacketed ammo.

Thanks for any advice.

If your wheel weights are the typical content, your projectiles should likely have a hardness somewhere between 10-12 Brinell. That is sufficiently hard for being driven to about 1000fps. But if you push them harder than that, you run the risk of leading. For the types of magnum velocities the .460 is capable of, your boolits need to be a MINIMUM of 16 Brinell, and probably closer to 20-22.

A good rule of thumb is that pure lead (Brinell score of 5) is good up to about 650fps. Then to be good for the range between 750 to 1000fps, the hardness needs to be somewhere around 10-12. The typical "Hardball" mix of 92% Lead, 2% Tin and 6% Antimony produces a hardness of 16 Brinell, which is usually good enough for 1400-1600fps. But once you cross that velocity threshold, you are now in the realm of carbine and rifle velocities, which require a harder alloy still. The usual mix for that is a hardness of 22 Brinell.

Your boolits, as currently cast, are just too soft for what the .460 can do. They are fully suitable for .45LC and maybe some mid-range .454Casull.
    When democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by atfsux View Post
    If your wheel weights are the typical content, your projectiles should likely have a hardness somewhere between 10-12 Brinell. That is sufficiently hard for being driven to about 1000fps. But if you push them harder than that, you run the risk of leading. For the types of magnum velocities the .460 is capable of, your boolits need to be a MINIMUM of 16 Brinell, and probably closer to 20-22.

A good rule of thumb is that pure lead (Brinell score of 5) is good up to about 650fps. Then to be good for the range between 750 to 1000fps, the hardness needs to be somewhere around 10-12. The typical "Hardball" mix of 92% Lead, 2% Tin and 6% Antimony produces a hardness of 16 Brinell, which is usually good enough for 1400-1600fps. But once you cross that velocity threshold, you are now in the realm of carbine and rifle velocities, which require a harder alloy still. The usual mix for that is a hardness of 22 Brinell.

Your boolits, as currently cast, are just too soft for what the .460 can do. They are fully suitable for .45LC and maybe some mid-range .454Casull.
    They were just cast yesterday and are at 11.9 bnh.

I have some 230gr 452 RN that are 2 weeks old that are around 20 bnh.
    My goal is around 1300fps to start.

Moderator Emeritus

10gr of Unique
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Bub
    You could probably use data for the rcbs 45-270 for a 45 Colt. It weighs 285gr like yours, and it's .74 long. If you were loading in a colt case you'd be .34" deep and the 45-270 is .36" deep, that's pretty close but not exact. So 10gr of unique would be close to 20k psi and 18gr 2400, 13.5gr hs6, 8.5gr titegroup, 9.5gr power pistol, 17gr aa9, 10gr universal, 10gr n350.