RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad DataRepackbox
WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: Reloading High Brass Shotshells

Reloading High Brass Shotshells

As a hull scrounger I'm starting to see Winchester Diamond Grade hulls show up, not in large quantities, but they're there.

Essentially they are AA/HS hulls with high brass. I don't load them (low brass for trap & skeet for me), but you slug and buckshot loaders... is that something I should start tossing in a box????????
    The essence of education is self reliance- T.H. White.

Currently seeking wood carving tools, wood planes, froes, scorps, spokeshaves... etc....

Boolit Buddy
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    The brass height is just cosmetic. Load ‘em and shoot ’em! Or save them and sell them if you prefer.

Yeah...save 'em! High brass is mostly a sales gimic, and reloaded they all perform the same.

DG

Boolit Master
    I agree. there really is no difference ive put magnum turkey loads in low and high brass as well as some slugs and buckshot and they all shoot the same.
    but I do like the cosmetics of it.

Back when I started reloading shot shells high brass usually indicated the loads were duck or upland bird hunting loads. I prefer high brass for reloading it just looks better in your vest. The low brass were dove, quail and trap loads. The old books listed the same loads for both and as Barry54 the insides were the same.

Save them is my vote too.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master

Use the hulls as AA hulls

I use high brass Federal High Power hulls instead of Low brass Top Gun hulls for only 1 reason
    I load a HOT 2 3/4" 7/8 oz steel shot reload that goes 1700 FPS ( A pressure tested load out of a manual )
    Interesting thing the quick higher pressure spike is safe
    But as it is quick , My Rem 11/87 was pulling the low brass off of some of the cases
    So it was not fun having to use a rod to get the rest of the hull out of the barrel while duck hunting

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Master

I’ll take a box as soon as you can collect them!
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

High brass is raccomended for loads over 10,900 psi. With reused low brass, in a hot load, the plastic hull can separate and get stuck in the barrel.

My sizer doesn’t resize the entire brass section on the high brass hulls.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Half Dog View Post
    My sizer doesn’t resize the entire brass section on the high brass hulls.
    [/I]

I have the same problem with my Mec. Now use a Supersizer on the high brass.
    swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Boolit Bub
    Paper base wad means one reload. Plastic base wad means many reloads. And your question is do you save pickup hulls? In today's world you save everything including stuff you don't load. It is a good barter item for stuff you need and having done this since 1971 I have never seen the droughts of components like in the last few years. Save them? HELL YES!
    Use a Lee Loader to deprime and size them the first time.

KB

Sent from my SM-A546U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I always looked more at the construction of the shell and ignored the brass height as it has nothing to do with real strength. I consider any one piece compression formed hull equal for my reloading purposes. And since I was loading only moderate loads swapping wads never bothered me. 95% of my loads were either 16 or 18 grains Red Dot with either 1 or 1 1/8 ounces shot, so no real high pressure loads. About 5% were with 24 grains Unique and 1 1/4 ounces shot. I soon found that all the heavier loads did was spend my money faster as I could hit as many birds with 1 ounces of shot anyhow.