Load DataReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWidenersRepackbox
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do with a junk 1915 frame.....

What to do with a junk 1915 frame.....

Well folks, I finally got this project to the shooting stage but had not yet put color on it. Any way, I thought I would share what came out as a fine shooting little target pistol. The receiver was originally bought as a clunker that had the top tang sawn off and the lower tang was brazed in 2 places and also stick welded into an abortion that remotely looked like a tang. So this was to be my color case hardening test run of my newly assembled CC kiln & quench system. But If the colors came out good, It should be on a good receiver and not a junk one so the idea was born to make it a usable pistol. I love the 1915's with their superb auto eject. After fabing the pistol frame up I needed to thread the receiver for a Ruger 10/22 barrel I was to refit into this application.

I patterned the barrel from this Navy Luger barrel and you can see the 10/22 clamp cut had to be welded over so I would have the shoulder width I needed and for a round shank. The trigger needed a serious re configure.

Here the barrel is taking shape as the threads are cut onto its shank end.

With the barrel on and chambered, I milled a matching flat under the round barrel rear sight base to fit the receiver flats. I bought that rear sight at a gun show for 10 bucks but have no idea to what it belonged to.

Here is the turned barrel and the neutered take down screw. I also scavenged a mini 14 front sight to be cut into a workable front sight with the correct height. As you can see the hammer & trigger springs needed to be made to fit in the new frame.

I had cut down and reshaped a Favorite forend to fit the barrel and here the grip panels are being fit to the frame that will get 2 weld in retaining stock pins.

Then after some grinding, filing & sanding..... and making brass screw bushings.....

when I get around to putting color on the metal I'll finish this posting with what ends up coming out of the quench tank!

What once was a lever has now been opened up and turned into a thumb operated action. Its actually pretty slick. You simply put your left thumb into the trigger guard bow and push down and forward and in a snap, your rewarded with a fine ejection of a spent casing. A fine one of a kind if I say so my self!

Finaly got the little bugger done! Colors went grey there in the thickest part of the receiver but it still looks nicer than some DIY you tube pieces. The group is off a block of wood rest at 32' with CCI std vel. The outside hits are sight ins. Those basic Ruger 10/22 barrels are like the best deal in used 22 barrels. As you can see, they shoot! It was a fun project but now the piece will be possibly converted into a 16" take down gun.... just to be legal again. Or if its anything like my tools, I think I already forgot where I put it!

Boolit Grand Master

Very nice. Thanks for posting.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Fantastic project ! That would be a neat little 16” carbine and your case coloring looks great !

Boolit Master

I like tinkering with guns, but this is far beyond any tinkering I could do. Very nice! Well done!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by skeet1 View Post
    I like tinkering with guns, but this is far beyond any tinkering I could do. Very nice! Well done!
    Yes yes...I also am Jealous... great work!!!!

Boolit Master

Awesome job
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Master

Wow!!
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Nicely done sir! I believe you have turned bubba garbage into a silk purse. Attaboy! That is some strong magick right there.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master

Thats amazing, great save.

Boolit Master
    Very nice.

Fingers crossed that you have paid the SOT to do such things, otherwise it looks like you’ve made a pistol from a rifle in violation of ATF regs and maybe federal law. Not saying that I agree with these regs or laws, just don’t want you to stub your toe unintentionally.

I'll give another "Wow!" Craftsmanship is not dead. You did a great job on this project.

DG

Boolit Buddy
    Fantastic case coloring. What a nice project.

Thanks for all the kind responses. I can say for a fact that there is absolutely nothing in my home/premises that would be of illegal interest to the Feds. If they have a warrant for me, I have nothing to hid here.

That turned into one super dandy pistol!

Very nice indeed. Did you do the bone case hardening?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    Very nice.

Fingers crossed that you have paid the SOT to do such things, otherwise it looks like you’ve made a pistol from a rifle in violation of ATF regs and maybe federal law. Not saying that I agree with these regs or laws, just don’t want you to stub your toe unintentionally.
    The same thoughts ran across my mind too!
    Stupid law but the alphabet guys still enforce it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by deltaenterprizes View Post
    The same thoughts ran across my mind too!
    Stupid law but the alphabet guys still enforce it.
    And they are here.

Boolit Master
    as jim b + delta said you cant build into a pistol from what was a rifle . legally . Guns so old ect>> dont think the law would bother with it
    no one would no what it was or how it started life

I built a Color case hardening outfit for Brownell's CCH fixings.
    Heres the crucible box I welded together with the trap door slid open. It sits over the bubble tank with screen catch hanging in there. I did a Marlin 47 reciever as well that turned out nice but re-fitting the bolt was a pain. They do warp when they hit the water at 1400 F.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast