Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline FabricationWideners
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9 BHN casts

Banned

9 BHN casts

I bought a RCBS 44-240-SWC 240 mold for my 44 mag, as you know has no gas check. I guess I have to harden the alloy unless I load 44 Special velocities. I have heard in the past as long as you don't load to high velocities it won't gas cut.

I push plain base acww boolits to 1400 in .44 mag with zero leading. Fit is king.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    I push plain base acww boolits to 1400 in .44 mag with zero leading. Fit is king.

yeah but at what alloy ?

Acww= air cooled wheel weights.

Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    The OP could cast, lube and size and let them age harden and then work up a load until accuracy falls off or leading begins and then back off the load a bit. He might find a very accurate load before he reaches whatever tolerance level he has since he has no stated velocity goal.

Heat treat and quench is also an option, and use whatever alloy he already has.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bannister View Post
    The OP could cast, lube and size and let them age harden and then work up a load until accuracy falls off or leading begins and then back off the load a bit. He might find a very accurate load before he reaches whatever tolerance level he has since he has no stated velocity goal.

Heat treat and quench is also an option, and use whatever alloy he already has.
    Book velocities.. like 1400. Don't want to invade the kitchen oven. Have you tested aged casts ?

Acww in rifles with gas checks at over 2000 fps. Most of my boolits, handgun and rifle,, sit around for up to months before being shot.

Banned
    I have data for my one book one caliber loads RCBS casts, but it doesn't specify what alloy.

Does any one have the One book one caliber 44 mag RCBS cast data ?

Boolit Master
    I generally make all my pistol caliber bullets of a blend that runs about 9 BHN, some plain based with tumble lube, others plain based with PC. As mentioned above, fit is most important. The fastest I have gone with 9 BHN and tumble lube is 1050 fps. Faster might work, but I just haven't tried it.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master

I shoot an out of production Lee 265 gr SWC in .44 mag at velocities over 1200 fps. Allow is half range scrap and half COWW. Lube is Bull Shop soft. Don't know what that BHN is. No leading.

Boolit Buddy
    I have loaded to 1550fps with the same bullet mold you have. 50/50 mix of coww and pure lead. Lube is my own. Soft and slimy. No leading and great accuracy. Shot deer at around 200 yards with a Ruger SBH. It also shoots well in my Rossi.

Boolit Master
    Oh, so many variables.

First fit is king and goes double with revolvers because you have to fit to two things, the throats and the barrel. The throats must be bigger than the barrel and you must load bullets sized to the throat.

If you are not going to use an alloy harder than 9 bhn then yeah, you can't push them to maximum pressures/velocities.

With hardball or Lyman #2 or equal hardness you don't need a gas check even at 44 Mag. max. loads, other supermags are a different story, maybe. With good fit and a good bore. Bad fit, bore choke or rough bore leading is likely.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Moderator Emeritus

You ask too many questions.
    Just load 'em up and shoot 'em.
    If you have a problem, then ask a question.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Charlie View Post
    I shoot an out of production Lee 265 gr SWC in .44 mag at velocities over 1200 fps. Allow is half range scrap and half COWW. Lube is Bull Shop soft. Don't know what that BHN is. No leading.
    Good to know thanks. I probably didn’t need GC on my .357. Other than that, no leading. Used NRA lube, worked good. But was curious if the 44 would be a problem with softer alloy.

I made ingots about 3-4 years ago and some casts, shot them awhile back and didn’t see any leading. Not really on board with aging alloy getting harder. Within the last month or so they are the same BHN, 9. Thanks for sharing your experience it saves me from making unwanted ones. ��
    Last edited by castmiester; 03-10-2024 at 02:06 AM.

Boolit Master
    I've shot 245 grain RCBS plain based SWC's at 1200fps (4" barrel S&W 629) with no problems. The alloy is acww, but I powder coat instead of lube. Using PC you can sometimes get away with softer alloy, or can use a semi-hard alloy without a gas check.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    Oh, so many variables.

First fit is king and goes double with revolvers because you have to fit to two things, the throats and the barrel. The throats must be bigger than the barrel and you must load bullets sized to the throat.

If you are not going to use an alloy harder than 9 bhn then yeah, you can't push them to maximum pressures/velocities.

With hardball or Lyman #2 or equal hardness you don't need a gas check even at 44 Mag. max. loads, other supermags are a different story, maybe. With good fit and a good bore. Bad fit, bore choke or rough bore leading is likely.

Tim
    I'm aware of groove fit and throat fit. My throats are .4325 consistently, and the groove is .431. I have a mold coming monday and the seller said it casts .433 and have to get a .432 custom lube sizer from Buffalo arms or someone else, or buy a .431 and have it honed out to .432 and make a plunger with it.
    Last edited by castmiester; 03-10-2024 at 09:17 AM.

Boolit Master

Fit is King. It's not velocity which is the cause for leading and gas cutting, it's pressure. Good reading from the Las Angeles Silhouette club can be very educational. The link should be found at the bottom of this page.
    Good Luck,
    Rick

Velocity has nothing to do with. It's all about the load/pressure.

The majority of my casting/shooting (90%+ since the 1980's) needs is done with 8/9bhn range scrap. Playing around shooting 8/9bhn 250gr rf hp's in a 44mag 10" bbl'd contender. Using a pretty stout load of unique (11.5gr).
    [IMG][/IMG]

10-shot group playing around with a 308w @ 50yds using 8/9bhn cast bullets and no gas check (13xxfps).
    [IMG][/IMG]

Another 10-shot group @ 50yds with 8/9bhn cast bullet and no gas check (1700fps).
    [IMG][/IMG]

Velocity shouldn't be in conversation.

Boolit Master

I'll also add: You would do better to size your bullets through a Lee or other push through die and apply the lube through a lubesizer die which is .001" or so larger than your finished bullet diameter. This way you get a straight and concentric bullet and the lubesizer die doesn't get the chance to pull it's nasty tricks on your bullets.
    Good Luck,
    Rick

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RickinTN View Post
    I'll also add: You would do better to size your bullets through a Lee or other push through die and apply the lube through a lubesizer die which is .001" or so larger than your finished bullet diameter. This way you get a straight and concentric bullet and the lubesizer die doesn't get the chance to pull it's nasty tricks on your bullets.
    Good Luck,
    Rick
    I have Lyman lube sizer dies yes. They are not .001 larger. And I do believe you guys are splitting hairs in regards to velocity, increased velocity increases pressure.
    Last edited by castmiester; 03-10-2024 at 01:23 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast