RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad DataLee Precision
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: 44-90 Sharps Bottle Neck (44-2 5/8) Brass

44-90 Sharps Bottle Neck (44-2 5/8) Brass

I'm set (pretty much) on ordering a Shiloh Sharps 1874 in 44-90 SBN caliber. Of course, the sticking point is brass. I have twenty rounds of new old stock Bertram brass and a set of dies from CH-4D. BACO is "out of stock," so I wondered about forming my brass from an existing case. BACO appears to be using 50-110, but it seems to be a bit short. Norma has 45 Basic that's long enough, but I'm unsure of the head diameter and rim thickness. Norma's site doesn't list these dimensions. Bullets are easy in both paper patch and grease groove.

That's where I sit. Does anyone have any ideas or thoughts? I appreciate your input.
    Wayne

"We must never cease to proclaim in fearless tones the great principles of freedom and the rights of man which are the joint inheritance of the English-speaking world and which through Magna Carta, the Bill of Rights, the Habeas Corpus, trial by jury, and the English common law find their most famous expression in the American Declaration of Independence."

Winston Churchill

Boolit Master

I have fought this brass battle many times. I have $100 worth of books on "how to" - all obsolete now that these old odd balls have become popular again. But wait, they are not making it now. I have a 44-77 sitting here with the same issue. My advise is to go with 45-70 and go shooting. Keep the project and stuff you have bought. Get the 45-70 and you'll be shooting this summer.

Boolit Master
    I have a client with a 44-105 that uses 43 Spanish as his base cartridge.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    Good first post.

.45 Basic brass will be too small in diameter. As you noted BACO appears to use .50-110, although I think they may have a way to stretch the length of brass.

My advice is to see if you can find some of the longer .50 cal brass from Starline. Or even some of the vintage .43 Spanish basic brass that I seem to recall BELL selling decades ago. Actual .43 Spanish brass will be too short.

Like ascast says; with a .45-70 you will be shooting this summer, not looking for components.

Robert

Boolit Master
    Didn’t someone used to make basic .50 cases in 3-1/4” for the Sharps .50-140 cartridge?

Or maybe the brass drought over the past few years killed off all of that…I don’t know.