Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyRepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: Want to build a remote 12 Volt DC trigger for a clay target thrower

Boolit Buddy
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!

Want to build a remote 12 Volt DC trigger for a clay target thrower

I’ve been wanting something better than a long string to release my spring loaded clay target thrower. I will have 12 Volts DC at my truck where I shoot. My hillbilly self initially thought about a fast idle solenoid for a carburetor and air conditioning. I believe those automatically retract. I’d still have a length of speaker wire with a momentary trigger switch... Not much improvement over a long string.

What would it take to get into this century? Door lock solenoid and a key fob? Those fobs are probably expensive and overkill for doing one function. I’d like to go wireless! Anybody have some better ideas?
    Last edited by Barry54; 03-08-2024 at 07:28 AM.

Boolit Buddy

Check out a garage door opener and the receiver that initiates the drive motor sequence.

Boolit Mold
    Maybe a r/c car radio, receiver, battery pack and servo. It would be nice to have it foot actuated though so another idea that comes to mind would be a foot bellow pump, length of hose and some sort of actuator such as a large syringe and a spring return. It comes down to what is easy to source and readily available.

Edit: a couple alligator clips on the truck battery ran through that speaker wire to an old sewing machine pedal an onto that car lock actuator.
    Last edited by Chappy; 03-08-2024 at 12:02 AM.

Over here we used the solenoid from a car starter.
    Cap'n Morgan

Boolit Buddy
    I bet a starter solenoid definitely has the energy to release the trigger on a clay target thrower!!!

I’m still wanting to not be tethered to the thrower.

Garage door opener is a good thought. I’m not electrically savvy enough to make the receiver work on DC if it’s built to operate on AC. Cheap replacement remotes though!!

I use late '90's" early 2000 GM solenoids they used for doors, hatches and trunks. They are powerful and are spring return.

One on a hog trap.

Another one on my SPP culler.

Moderator Emeritus

They do make foot and remote releases for the different brands of throwers. I saw $50 for a foot release with a 25' cord. Try looking up your brand and see what is released commercially and then check you tube for diy solutions. I keep saying some day myself on doing something like that. Good luck.
    Ron

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the videos. I tried the link in the comments for the hog trap, and it didn’t work. It got me closer on what to search for. I found this for an affordable starting point.

https://www.electronickits.com/produ...iver-hd2combo/

Quote Originally Posted by Barry54 View Post
    I bet a starter solenoid definitely has the energy to release the trigger on a clay target thrower!!!

I’m still wanting to not be tethered to the thrower.

Garage door opener is a good thought. I’m not electrically savvy enough to make the receiver work on DC if it’s built to operate on AC. Cheap replacement remotes though!!
    But if you use a starter solenoid, any remote controller/receiver capable of closing a circuit (like juniors old RC car) will do.
    Cap'n Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by Barry54 View Post
    Thanks for the videos. I tried the link in the comments for the hog trap, and it didn’t work. It got me closer on what to search for. I found this for an affordable starting point.

https://www.electronickits.com/produ...iver-hd2combo/
    I use these to control the valves on my air compressor, from the different buildings.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is a larger TX but the one I have will work further than 700 yards away.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the solenoid I like attached to a latch with 2 screws.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25608485069...zPyJ4ZzPPzda8A

I used these on my skeet throwers so I could control both of them and the wobbler (up/down and (left/right) with one remote.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/36345750075...d48747c6d56d2c

They work further than the machines can throw the clays but it would be a lot of walking on a manual thrower, for them I usually just use one I have modified for foot operation and have in a 2" receiver while I sit on the tail gate. Much faster cycle time..

Last edited by jmorris; 03-09-2024 at 11:22 AM.