Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxWideners
Reloading EverythingLoad DataLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buy or Pass? 1950 Win 94

Boolit Buddy

Buy or Pass? 1950 Win 94

I’ve been offered a nice condition Winchester Model 94 in .32 Special with a Lyman 56A receiver sight. Since this is a pre 1953 rifle, I am assuming it was drilled and tapped by a gunsmith to install the sight. The sight looks further to the rear than a gun I have with a 66A. Without starting a firestorm, could I get some thoughts on how this might devalue the gun? Adding a side mount probably won’t be possible without more drilling. I like the gun and the price is fair, but I’m hesitant. Should I be?

If you like it and the price is fair, why not buy it?
    I guess it depends on what you are going to use it for, an investment you think you are going to get rich on or a gun you will enjoy shooting.

I will second elmer. The price, overall condition and what you are buying for should be the main issues that govern buy or not. If you are strictly buying for a collector investment then no, but if you are just looking for a shooter then if tge price is right, yes.

Boolit Master
    Agree with the above - if you like it and the price is fair then get it. The addition of the sight may add value in some people's eyes and detract from another perspective.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Good gun, good price, if I wanted one, I'd go ahead and buy it.
    As far as hurting the value by modifying it--- it doesn't matter unless you plan to sell it.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master
    Buying a gun as an investment is a nice rationale that goes "POOF!!" when you work the numbers. About the only way it works is that you have the money is tied up so not easy to spend. If you have the discipline to put the money into an S&P index fund you will beat owning something like that.

If you do not have a use for the gun, pass on it. If you want a new toy, and the price is right, go for it.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    duplicate post

Boolit Master
    Would be a lot of fun to shoot and that slim Model 94 receiver would carry effortlessly for long walks in the woods being uncluttered by a scope. As far as value is concerned, I never even think about that as I've never sold a gun.

The fact that it's a 32 Special would remove all doubt about buying it!

Gee, I got something right for a change!
    I would buy it, but that's just me.

Boolit Master
    Yes indeed. I gave my M94 .32 Special to my daughter. It is very accurate with cast bullets. Go for it, make cases out of .30-30s if necessary
    "You will wantonly strike a hornet's nest which extends from mountains to ocean, and legions, now quiet, will swarm out and sting us to death. It is unnecessary; it puts us in the wrong; it is fatal." Robert Toombs, Democrat of Georgia, warning of the results of the imminent attack of the Confederacy upon Fort Sumter in Charleston Harbor, 1861

i have a model 64 winchester rifle made in 1938 in .32 spl and it is by far the most accurett lever action rifle i own with out a scope. 165 gr J bullets at 2200-2300 fps is what it likes. buy it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Do you really expect this bunch of enablers to dissuade you from buying a functional, safe firearm?

As long as the sight is useable, it really doesn't matter unless you intend to take it off and use the holes for something else. I don't like any of the side mounts that I have ever seen for a Model 94 Winchester, so I would leave the aperture sight on until it becomes impossible to use with my eyesight.

Robert

The addition of a period correct sight/holes doesn't cause me to blink an eye, it just lowers the price a bit.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Master
    I'm in the same camp as Bazoo. Its period correct and we all would have prolly added a sight of some sort back then in lieu of scopes. If the sight functions, the finish I'd good and the bore is nice, do it. Have fun. I bought 2 94s in the past year. Both are post 64, one made in 1966, the other in 1972. Both are 90% or better, one for 650 and the other for 750. In my area, if you can get a 32 Special pre 64 for 1000 or less, you're doing pretty good.

The real value will be found if you buy it, then hunt & shoot the snot out of it !

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Buying a gun as an investment is a nice rationale that goes "POOF!!" when you work the numbers. About the only way it works is that you have the money is tied up so not easy to spend. If you have the discipline to put the money into an S&P index fund you will beat owning something like that.

If you do not have a use for the gun, pass on it. If you want a new toy, and the price is right, go for it.
    Double dittos. Do not buy guns for investments. Stick to a stock broker or real estate. If this gun fits a need, buy it, but it won't put a grandkid through college.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jkrem View Post
    I’ve been offered a nice condition Winchester Model 94 in .32 Special with a Lyman 56A receiver sight. Since this is a pre 1953 rifle, I am assuming it was drilled and tapped by a gunsmith to install the sight. The sight looks further to the rear than a gun I have with a 66A. Without starting a firestorm, could I get some thoughts on how this might devalue the gun? Adding a side mount probably won’t be possible without more drilling. I like the gun and the price is fair, but I’m hesitant. Should I be?
    Well, did ya go get that thing or what????

Boolit Master
    get an RCBS 32-170FN to go along with it and enjoy. mine is a 1964 still with original sights and I cant see ever parting with it. its a near perfect rifle for cast bullet shooting

Quote Originally Posted by jaysouth View Post
    Double dittos. Do not buy guns for investments. Stick to a stock broker or real estate. If this gun fits a need, buy it, but it won't put a grandkid through college.
    Everybody is going to lose their *** in the stock market pretty soon. I have always made good money buying and selling old guns. The key is buy low, sell high. It ain't hard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast