Titan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingLoad DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: barrel length

Boolit Grand Master

barrel length

How much does the length of the shotgun barrel have on the range of the load?
    Is the fact that wads are used negate the need for a long barrel to get range out of a scattergun?
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    https://deltawaterfowl.org/barrel-le...arrel%20length.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

I think that's a pretty accurate article (link, above). I think it's just old timer lore that a long barrel is more accurate at longer distances given the same choke. Some of the late 19th and early 20th Century water fowling shotguns had very long barrels (Long Toms), and moving ahead a bit in time there were the "Goose Guns" made by Marlin and Mossberg. Shorter barrels seem to work as well, are faster on the rise and swing. It is true that a longer sighting radius makes for better, more precise aiming, but we are talking shotguns here, and a practical ranges. I think the 26" barrel is a good compromise and that 30" can prove cumbersome. I'm currently working on restoring a Win. Mod. 37 12 Ga. (single shot) with a 24" barrel for woods walking, but primarily for varmints and not skeet or trap.

DG

Boolit Buddy
    With modern loads the increase in distance/pattern for a longer barrel is small if using a full choke and insignificant if using a modified or improved cylinder choke. The barrel length you use has more to do with how the shotgun handles for you and what you hunt. If you hunt ducks from a boat and are not going to carry it all day get a longer 28-30+ inch barrel for a better sight radius for the long shots. For upland game or walking thru the woods I prefer a shorter 26 inch barrel for a faster swing.

Boolit Grand Master

I believe shot size may make a small difference here also. bird shots my benefit a little more than the heavy shots and buckshot from the longer barrel. Less deformation with the heavy shot sizes in the shorter barrel.

Would be interesting to take a 30" cylinder bore barrel install choke tubes in it, pattern with several shot sizes, then repeat at 26", 24" and 20", same barrel same tubes only change would be the length.

Boolit Master
    Makes a difference in velocity when black powder is used, most modern shotshells gain little velocity beyond 18" barrel length. Internal barrel diameter, chamber forcing cone,taper of forcing cone, interior finish of barrel, choke, taper of choke all come into play with the patterning ability of a shotgun. Shotshell design, wads, shot hardness, shot size all can affect the pattern. The high dollar shotguns can have the barrel tailored to pattern a specific shot shell to a specific pattern, many, many variables, but length has little effect.

Boolit Master
    Anymore with the quick change chokes I have to use I don't find barrel length that important. I can get the same patterns from a 22 inch barrel that I get from a 28 inch barrel.

Boolit Master
    I think a 4" longer barrel will increase range by 4". It is 4" closer to your target.

Boolit Master
    A LONG barrel gets you INCHES closer to the target! On shotguns, I think 26 inches is enough for pumps and semis. For O/U and doubles an inch or more may be needed to improve balance.

The 30-inch Long Tom barrels make great Lamp Stands! LOL.

Adam

A vent rib 20” 12 gauge barrel with chokes for my 870 would be very neat. I wouldn’t have to switch between the 18” Cylinder choke barrel and the 28” choke tube barrel!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My understanding was that longer barrels got the shot speed up a little with factory ammo or BP.
    With modern ammo and things like 3" Magnum, it probably doesn't matter as much as it used to.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    Another thing to consider is the type action. A pump or semi auto with a 22-24" barrel is going to have about the same length sighting plane as a double with 28-30" barrels due to the length of the action.

[QUOTE=Texas by God;5699372]A vent rib 20” 12 gauge barrel with chokes for my 870 would be very neat. I wouldn’t have to switch between the 18” Cylinder choke barrel and the 28” choke tube barrel!/QUOTE]

The Remington 870 Special Field has an English strait stock and a 21" bbl. They were available in 12 and 20 ga.

I want to do a similar gun on a Mossberg 500 (I have several nice Stocks and Fore Ends I can modify) Cut the Vent Rib barrel down to 21-22" Ream the Forcing Cone and thread it for Rem Chokes.

I think it would be a great Upland Bird Gun, that could double as a Pig Gun in a pinch with a Rifled Choke Tube and Slugs

I like the Mossberg's more than the 870's for several reasons that I have discussed in my "What I did to my Shotguns," Sticky Thread.

All I have to do is find another $150 M500 with a Vent Rib Barrel.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

What has been missed here is the effect of bore wad friction. Those long toms worked for long range back then as they would today over any considerably shorter barrels. In Gunsmithing school, it was explained like this. The creation of a good tight pattern is not just the diameter of your choke. Alot of the mechanics of a pattern belongs to how the barrel friction brakes the wad and shot that are nearest the barrel bore. The leading shot in the string is typically the shot from the front and center of the shot pack. The shot in the center and rear most part of the shot string are the shot that are mostly in contact with the barrel bore or wad cup shoulders. That being said, the shot velocity is slightly manipulated by barrel friction and a drop in bore pressure after it has spiked in the first 20 + or - inches of barrel. The more you can slow the wad with a longer barrel friction, the less work the choke needs to do with a thinned out section of shot coming threw the choke as well as not beating the hell out of the roundness of the lead shot by all wanting to be slammed together all at once in the choke walls. Buffer is the go to for the modern shell to improve choke battering of the shot. An old time gunsmith mod was to take a dowel rod rough spin the last 12 inches of bore with course 60 grit to improve patterns by accelerating the wad friction in the last part of the bore. The more you can pre choke - string the shot in the bore, the better the long range pattern. Obviously as noted, this is not the end all of patterning as clearly pointed out above, but it gives real credibility to the Long Tom barrels and has some degree of merit in modern barrel lengths as well.

I chronographed and pattern tested 3 different barrel lengths in my 12 ga 870 back in the 80s.

After finding that there is virtually no difference, I've used a 21" ever since.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    I think a 4" longer barrel will increase range by 4". It is 4" closer to your target.
    Hard to disprove that.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master

Many misconceptions about shotgun barrel length and handling. I know it's hard to believe but longer barrels are faster than shorter barrels. I shoot Sporting Clays and am a Master Class shooter. I shoot a 34" barreled Perazzi. Most manufacturers don't make a 34" gun and therefore you will see mostly 32" barreled Browning, Beretta, or Kreighoff guns in a competition. Most skeet shooters as I understand have migrated to 30" or longer barrels in their target guns.
    To answer the original question I have no idea.
    Take care all!
    Rick

Boolit Grand Master
    [QUOTE=W.R.Buchanan;5702674]
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    A vent rib 20” 12 gauge barrel with chokes for my 870 would be very neat. I wouldn’t have to switch between the 18” Cylinder choke barrel and the 28” choke tube barrel!/QUOTE]

The Remington 870 Special Field has an English strait stock and a 21" bbl. They were available in 12 and 20 ga.

I want to do a similar gun on a Mossberg 500 (I have several nice Stocks and Fore Ends I can modify) Cut the Vent Rib barrel down to 21-22" Ream the Forcing Cone and thread it for Rem Chokes.

I think it would be a great Upland Bird Gun, that could double as a Pig Gun in a pinch with a Rifled Choke Tube and Slugs

I like the Mossberg's more than the 870's for several reasons that I have discussed in my "What I did to my Shotguns," Sticky Thread.

All I have to do is find another $150 M500 with a Vent Rib Barrel.

Randy
    Randy,
    Thirty years ago or so I had a Mossberg Model 600 (same as a Model 500 with Mossberg's version of a Poly choke) that had the choke messed up. Probably why I got it for cheap.

Out came the hacksaw, cutting the barrel just past one of the supports for the vent rib, the barrel came to 23". The gun handled very well and shot a surprisingly tight pattern, just shooting it in the snow it seemed like about a modified pattern. That gun absolutely loved the old Remington 2 3/4" 12 pellet 00 buckshot loads.

To answer the first question, my personal opinion is that choke, load, and pattern density matter more than barrel length.

Robert

For many years I've used a Browning B80, with a 21" choke tube barrel from a Beretta just like that Remington special field, having a straight stock. The Browning is just a re-badged Beretta, so that briefly available barrel created my idea of the perfect field gun.

Boolit Master
    I think about the only benefit to having a long shotgun barrel is a longer sight radius!
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast