Snyders JerkyRepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline FabricationLee Precision
Wideners Load Data

Thread: Lyman 311413 in .308 chambered Spansh Mauser

Boolit Master

Lyman 311413 in .308 chambered Spansh Mauser

I have a model 1916 Spanish Mauser in .308 and a Lyman 311413 mold that I would like use together. I have never cast for rifle before.
    Having read that the 311413 doesn't play well above 1500 fps or so, it seems like a waste to use gas checks in this instance. Any one have experience using this mold without gas checks?
    God Bless, Whisler

Not that particular mold, but I have shot a bunch of .30 cal boolis says gas check over small charges of fast powder. Worked fine. Check the older Lyman manuals for data.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    I've used that mold in both 7.5 swiss and 30-06 with very good results. I am using unique but I'm also using gas checks. I'd try it with about 10 grs of unique and see what happens.

Boolit Grand Master

I have never had groups get worse with the addition of a gas check .

Test some loads both ways ... with and without gas checks ...

You will never know for sure till you try em .

My rule of thumb ... if cut for a check ... install one !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    I use the 311413, sized .310, in a few 300 and 308 Savage 99's. I use with a gas check, running 17 grs 4227, 18 grs 5744, 20 grs Reloder 7 with excellent accuracy to 200 yards. I have not had very good results with gas check cast bullet designs used without gas checks. In rifles, much above 1000-1200 fps and plain base bullets don't work for me. Most of my rifle shooting is 100-150 yards, 6"-8" steel and truth telling paper.

Boolit Master

Thanks for the replies. All suggestions appreciated. I have lots of Unique and was figuring to try it first. Time to cast some up. I will try them both ways and see what happens.
    God Bless, Whisler

Moderator Emeritus

Bullet was designed by Earl Squibb and from that we have squibb loads as those that stick in the bbl. He wanted something to shoot at slow speeds. I would try for 1200 fps. Plenty of old data in Lyman handbooks before #42.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    I shoot a Spanish 1916...have for alot of years. My thoughts are that this is Not an exceptionally Strong Rifle. So, Unique with the Lee 170..with a Gas Check...and all is Great...and Fun!!!

Boolit Buddy
    I've shot thousands of the 311413 in a .30-06. I always used a gas check and found out early on that 1200 fps was the sweet spot for my rifle and this bullet. I'm using a load out of a very old NRA reloading book. Anyone else still have any "Ball Carbine" powder setting on your shelf? The 311413 works ok at low velocity, but my experience even with 10 grs of Unique in a .308 case was too much velocity. Heck, try it and see how it works for you.

fwiw - i have found the Spanish chambers [ 1916, fr7, +fr8 ] are cut deeper than the standard depth - lead bullet reloads that fit fine in the Spanish guns will not chamber at all in My Remingtons + other commercial .308'S -

iirc they originally chambered their Cetme's for a unique 7.62 X 40 + later they switch to Nato 7.62X51 + i thinks the reamers cut the earlier chamber throats differently than normal -
    Last edited by schutzen-jager; 03-10-2024 at 10:10 AM.
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin