Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2
WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: .30-40 and 8x56R loads with IMR-7383 powder

.30-40 and 8x56R loads with IMR-7383 powder

I developed two more loads using IMR-7383 RAD-73 surplus powder.
    1896 Springfield .30-40 Krag rifle with Hornandy 168 grain FMJ National Match with Remington LR primer. 45 grains of powder. 100% case loading no unburned powder grains in the bore.
    8x56R long rifle with 208 grain Privi FMJBT both LR and Berdan primers. Commercial and WWII Nazi surplus brass, both annealed at the neck and shoulder.
    51.0 grains of powder. No unburned powder in the bore. This load is slightly compressed, but not to the point of a pressure spike due to it.
    Both loads show no signs of pressure problems and both bolts have normal force to operate. Primers are normal looking.
    I will be shooting both rounds at 500 meters this up coming Saturday and will post the results.

Boolit Buddy
    I've been wondering for along time if somebody was going to apply that powder to those two cartridges . I'm interested because I've got both and enjoy shooting them. Well , the Krag at least . Anxious to hear about accuracy

I've had very good results with 8x57 Mauser, 7.63 Argentine, 7 MM Mauser, 7.5 Swiss, 8 mm Siamese, 6.5 Swede and the U.S Military calibers ( not 5.56 ) and some hunting calibers. I've found that powder loads greater than 70 grains require a small increase in charge weight and must be closely watched. Rounds that take up to 100 grains of other powders cannot be safely loaded more than 70% using this powder as it will spike the pressure. I found accuracy was poor in the magnum calibers.I've read original .50 Spotting cartridge used a flash tube for the primer flame. This may be why the .50 Spotter was so accurate due to a better powder ignition.
    For case sizes as issued in the two World Wars, this powder does a very good job. The general rule of thumb is to load until there are no unburned powder grains left in the barrel. I go further and increase the loads until the bore is less fouled ( verified by a cleaning patch ). The maximum safe MV will be reached, no blow-back on the case necks and accuracy is very good. Velocities are normally a couple of hundred FPS slower than the listed maximum in the loading manuals.
    It is fun working up a safe accurate load for a cartridge.
    Last edited by Rapidrob; 03-08-2024 at 12:42 AM.

Weather here was cold,snow and windy at 9AM when the range opened. I fired the .30-40 Krag first using the above load and was able to find the zero and got several hits. Light was poor on the sights. I used the peep sight at first which was a mistake. The open notch sight was better in the low light.
    I then spotted for an hour for the other club members and the sun came out and it went from 38 degrees F up to almost 50!
    The snow melted and the wind dropped to less than 5 MPH.
    I switched to the straight-pull rifle.
    The 8x56R rifle sights were almost dead on by the ladder sight. I was able to hit the target with many shots. The 208 grain bullet rang the steel target like a bell and could be clearly heard.
    Both loads left a clean bore and no pressure signs. I'm going to switch to magnum primers in the .30-40 to see if any change will be made as it was the lesser of the two loads. I'll increase from the 168 grain bullet up to a 175 bullet with a longer body to be a little more wind resistant.
    The 8x56R load felt normal and the report was equal to the original military loading. The accuracy was so good I'm going going to be shooting this rifle in the 500 meter match this month.

The .30-40 Krag rifle target- 168 grain bullets.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	30-40A.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	324350

A [ATTACH=CONFIG]324350[/ATTACH
    view from the 500 meter target looking back at the firing line.

Name:	500 meter firing line.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	70.3 KB 
ID:	324349

an hour later, warmer and little wind

Name:	500 meter berm.jpg 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	324351
    a X10 mag view of the 200 meter bunker and the 500 meter targets behind.

Name:	firing line view.jpg 
Size:	67.8 KB 
ID:	324352

The 8x65R target

Name:	8x56R 500 meter.jpg 
Size:	81.4 KB 
ID:	324353

8x56R rifle on ammo box

Name:	8x56R rifle on firing line.jpg 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	324354

Rifle rear sight pointing at target

Name:	8x56R rear sight.jpg 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	324355

I just cleaned both rifles. The .30-40 was about as dirty as firing commercial ammo out of it, a gray patch 1st time through.
    The 8x56R 1st patch was so clean the patch almost had no deposits on it at all! I'm impressed.
    I think I will try the magnum primers in the .30-40 it increase a faster burn and see if it will match the 8x56R bore patch.