Snyders JerkyRepackboxTitan ReloadingWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flexible cleaning rod

Boolit Master

Flexible cleaning rod

im looking for a flexible cleaning rod that i can use on a trapdoor and a rolling block.Can anyone provide me a link to what people are using. I will be using black in one and smokeless in the other so id like to buy just one 45-70 rod and attachments. Thanks for any help

Boolit Master

I made one. I used #10 Romex copper wire. 3 strands, one end in a vice, the other in the cordless drill chuck. Twist together. Solder on threaded or what ever end. It works well but "sheds" copper flecks.

length of weed whacker line with short section of threaded female end of cleaning rod epoxied to one end so it can hold brushes + patches if a pull thru will fit your needs -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Grand Master

I think Montana Vintage arms carry them. I have one I believe its nylon or derlin. I have made them from 5/16" coated cable also. I removed the coating where the end attached made a fitting with the desired brush threads on one end and a snug fit on the bare cable on the other end. Epoxied it and ran a screw thru the brush hole in to the cable and expanded it to a press fit in the coupling to lock it. A cap on the other end.

Making one is a lot of work for what the one I bought cost.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I’m assuming you want something flexible so you can clean from the breech to the muzzle to avoid debris from ending up I the action. I’ve been using a cable for cleaning my 45/70 lever gun, when shooting BP. It works well. I don’t remember where I bought it, but it’s a plastic coated cable with standard threaded fittings at each end for patches or brushes.

Quote Originally Posted by barnabus View Post
    im looking for a flexible cleaning rod that i can use on a trapdoor and a rolling block.Can anyone provide me a link to what people are using. I will be using black in one and smokeless in the other so id like to buy just one 45-70 rod and attachments. Thanks for any help
    Track of the wolf has a good assortment of Delrin flexible rods with attachments and any adapter you might need. I have been using one[5 years ] exclusively in my Sharps as one sight I had before would not allow the use of a solid rod. I have a 3/8 rod for my 45-70....

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bandanaman View Post
    Track of the wolf has a good assortment of Delrin flexible rods with attachments and any adapter you might need. I have been using one[5 years ] exclusively in my Sharps as one sight I had before would not allow the use of a solid rod. I have a 3/8 rod for my 45-70....
    do these rods have handles? im assuming you can screw a jag and brush onto them?

Otis ? I like the weed whacked line idea. Just get the thickest one(.095 I believe).

weed wacker line

if you are not going to use bore brushes you can trim a squeeze tube nozzle to size you need for patches + retain it to line buy melting a nub on to it - trim opposite end to a sharp point, to make patch insertion easier - - Shawlerbrook , sorry but i'm not Otis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN2065.JPG  
    Last edited by schutzen-jager; 03-07-2024 at 09:25 AM.
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Bub
    45 cal. I’d go with the 3/8” delrin rod. U can tap the end for jag or brush . Flexible enough to go around sights.
    Been using one for several years and like it . If u go on assra.com look up beltfed. He sells them.

Boolit Mold
    Flexible rods work well, and I always make a point of keeping them clean and grit free so I'm not "scrubbing" the bore with them.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by schutzen-jager View Post
    if you are not going to use bore brushes you can trim a squeeze tube nozzle to size you need for patches + retain it to line buy melting a nub on to it - trim opposite end to a sharp point, to make patch insertion easier - - Shawlerbrook , sorry but i'm not Otis
    Good idea!
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by barnabus View Post
    do these rods have handles? im assuming you can screw a jag and brush onto them?
    These are too flexible for a handle to be of much use. Have to grip them pretty good and shove them down /up the pipe....You order the rod with what ever threaded brass end you want .Mine are 10/32 and I have a adapter to go to 8/32 for my 44-40 jag.[you can get adapters that go the other way as well ] I leave the rod full length at 48 inches. With a 32 inch barrel you still need something to hold on to. On rare occasion I have had a tough patch where I will stand the rifle's muzzle on my foot and gripping with two hands push down from the breach.

Boolit Buddy
    I made a flex cleaning rod from a plastic covered coiled wire from a curtain valance support. (you slide the curtain over it and attach it to the window trim.)
    Solder an brass jag o connector to the end.
    One could also use a throttle cable sheath off a lawn mower, with a wrap of tape or a length of shrink tube over it to keep from scratching bore. I use mine to clean the forcing cone of my revolvers.

I bought a 48" 3 /8" Acetal (delrin) rod from Granger & cut off 8" to use as a chamber wipe the other 40" as a push thru wiping rod.

Search Granger for:
    General Purpose Acetal Homopolymer Rods
    3/8" Rod: 4 ft Plastic Lg, White, Opaque, 9,600 psi Tensile Strength, 1.2 ft-lbs/in,
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Buddy
    Arnie (User name "Beltfed" ) on the ASSRA forum has been making and selling Delrin cleaning rods for years. I have one, as do MANY other satisfied customers. You will be pleased.
    https://forum.assra.com/cgi-bin/yabb...num=1702352034
    John Wells in PA

Peabody's and Peabody-Martini's wanted
    Also shoot a 10-PDR Parrott Rifle in competition

Boolit Master
    A simple pull through system works well, especially in the two actions mentioned, the rolling block and the Springfield Single Shot Rifle. As for keeping gunk out of the action, I clean them in a cradle with the rifle or carbine upside down. Gravity is your friend, you just have to out think it.

Beltfed’s product is aces, also.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Grand Master

With the derlin rods I may use an rubber arrow puller to grip it if my hands are slippery.

+1 on beltfeds rods. The TD version is great for wiping between shots.

Boolit Master

The nylon coated .30 caliber Dewey rods are pretty stiff, but their .22's might have enough flex to make the angle. Otherwise, the Otis pull-through cable kits are probably the ticket.

I'd be more inclined to fab up a bore guide for the muzzle end.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast