Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2
Load DataLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone shooting a 44-77

Boolit Buddy
    43 Spanish by Jameson has too thick rim for my Shiloh 44-77
    Last edited by Yellowhouse; 03-08-2024 at 12:12 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Track of the Wolf has brass. https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categ...ase-43-spanish NOTE DESCRIPTION: rim thickness 0.090" duplicates old production for antique guns. They also offer a shell holder specifically for the thicker rims in case you require one.

#CASE-43-SPANISH is our exact copy of the original antique unfired cartridges in our collection. No SAAMI standards exist for this caliber, but a print from the ammunition manufacturer, ELY BROTHERS, LONDON, has survived. The cartridges in our collection have very slightly larger dimensions than those on the print, which may have been specified smaller intentionally, to allow easy chambering in any brand of gun. Our cases are 2-1/4" (2.25") nominal length, with .090" rim thickness, .633" rim diameter, Case mouth thickness is about .008". These cases chamber perfectly in our antique rifles, but your experience may vary. Same day refund if returned, unfired, unmodified, unmolested. If it does not chamber in your rifle, you may have one of many different similar chamberings. Don't force it!
    John Wells in PA

Peabody's and Peabody-Martini's wanted
    Also shoot a 10-PDR Parrott Rifle in competition

Rim thickness it the easiest to work around with. No Lathe needed for that job. The .44 basic Bell brass I used a lot of had the thickness for the originals but that can be shined using 220 grid emery or wet/dry sand paper laid on a smooth surface and do the figure 8 till you reach the right thickness you need. The Shiloh for the .44-77 or the .44-90BN run .074-.075", Mine do anyway. The C-Sharps use a different thickness.
    A lot of the cases I thinned the rims I used a RCBS case prep station and deepened the primer pockets, some I left shallow just for using pistol primers.
    The hard part is getting the base down but this can be done with a little work.
    I'm glad that I got a good supply of Jamison cases and some of the Bell and Huntington basic for the .44-77 and the .44-90BN to last me. I gave 150 cases to a couple friends that had the .44-90BN on order so they can get to shooting it. The rest will be saved for the rifles for the Kids when I get done with them.
    The .44-77 and the .44-90 bn are a great chamberings that I personally like better than the .45 calibers. The .44-90 bn I feel has too much horse power for matches but it gets the job done when the conditions pickup. But the .44-77 and the .44-75 Ballard I think are just right.

Boolit Master

When C. Sharps rebarreled my original Remington #1 sporting rifle, I had them chamber it for Jamison .44-77 brass. The original damaged barrel was chambered for the original .090" thick rims. To get the Jamison brass, I bought 80 rounds of loaded ammunition from a specialty reloader who had bought a quantity of brass. It can be hard to find, but persistence pays off.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20210208_185851_copy_582x1556_copy_436x1166.jpg  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12