Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone shooting a 44-77

Boolit Master

Anyone shooting a 44-77

I'm still considering building a 44-77 but am concerned about availability of brass. Anyone here shooting one? If so where did you get brass or what did you make it from. I understand that it's possible to make it from 45-90 but, the base is 0.015" small. I read that in the distant past Remington made some 44-77 with steel heads and brass bodies. The bodies of the brass portion had a solid base that a screw passed thru and fixed the tube to the base. The screw formed the primer pocket. I suppose I could do something along that line but what a lot of work just to have a classic Sharps caliber. I would much rather buy than make the brass. Suggestions? Ideas?
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Grand Master

Have your reamer ground to use 45 - 90 brass with the correct case head rim.

Boolit Buddy

I use 45-90 in my 43 Mausers which is a very similar cartridge. I used dental rubber bands on the base of the cartridge for the first firing. They expanded out and were well centered. After that I don't size my cases and they should last until I'm gone anyway.

Tom

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    The 45-90 brass does work but you need to fireform it so the cartridge will actually headspace in the shoulder instead of the rim
    Best bet for brass right now is to place an order thru Buffalo Arms for their reformed 50-110 brass
    I shoot Jamison brass but finding that nowadays next to impossible
    Have heard tha track of the Wolf is manufacturing their own brass now so checking with them might pay off
    Be careful if you’re ordering a reamer that it’s a Shiloh copy and not the original 44 as the original rims are much thicker
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master

I've talked to Dave Gullo at Buffalo Arms a couple times regarding 44-77 and 44-90 brass. I've had both on back order for a couple years. Until Starline makes a run of 50-110 brass, Dave's pretty much out of luck for raw materials. May as well get on their list, the 44-77 is a great round and one of my favorites.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Man
    I am the kind of guy that at times has to prove that something can be done. I wasn't sure about the straight 45 case blowing out to the 77 chamber so I gave it a try. not having any of the 90 brass I used a 45-70 case with the bullet set out to where it would be in a 77 case. My rifle is a rolling block chambered for Jameson cases. 2 things surprised me. The case filled out nicely, and the load was black powder, and It didn't lead up the throat like I thought it might. The .015" difference is only .0075 per side, thats just a little more than the thickness of a sheet of printer paper. With new brass it shouldn't be any problem and may actually give you an extra grain or 2 of capacity. Also keep in mind that your case when it blows out is going to get shorter in the process. Let your cases as long as you can and still chamber and you should be good. The bullet I used was from an Accurate mold that I had the grease groves made a little wider and the first driving band reduced. It does shoot well. Eats a lot of powder but shoots well.
    Sam

Using .45-90 brass for forming .44-77 or .45-2.6 brass for the .44-90BN you will find that this will be the results quite often. I went this rout before. Find some brass with the proper base diameter or close to it and form it. The rim thickness you can get around that once it's formed. The shoulder taper will hold the head space.
    It might be worth doing a search for .3-1/4 44 basic brass. Bertram might still have it but it will come at a cost and it will also be very hard.
    I used a lot of Bell basic before Jamison.
    I talked to shooters that turned the band off and used the .300 win brass after forming it, but I would think extraction could be a problem.....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0278.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	138.2 KB 
ID:	324171
    Last edited by Lead pot; 03-05-2024 at 11:29 PM.

Boolit Master
    I thought I might turn a base section out of brass or possibly steel and insert a 300 Win mag case from the rear, loctite it in and fire form. The base would be reusable if the mag case split. Might work, maybe not. I'd still rather buy the correct brass. Maybe I'll just go back to original plan and make it a 405 Win.

I have Bell and Jamison for some of my rifles, good stuff. Wish they were still in business.

Thanks for the input.

Boolit Bub
    Buffalo Arms has Bertram 43 Spanish brass in stock. The two cartridges are nearly identical.

Right now the .43 Spanish is the best bet. But you have to watch and check the base diameters. some run .550 +- and there is also the.43 Spanish Reformado.
    I used some .348 and .50-110 but I had to swage the bases down to get them to fit the Shiloh's.
    It's really a shame that the proper fitting brass that is still custom made by a couple shops is so darned expensive.

405 brass is almost as bad or worse in the unobtainable category as the 44-77

Boolit Master
    I wrote up how I made some .44-77 shells from .348 Winchester in the “Case Forming” section here.

A fair amount of work, but the results are certifiably Cool. Also, once made, if blackpowder loads are used, they don’t seem to split, crack or wear out.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bent Ramrod View Post
    I wrote up how I made some .44-77 shells from .348 Winchester in the “Case Forming” section here.

A fair amount of work, but the results are certifiably Cool. Also, once made, if blackpowder loads are used, they don’t seem to split, crack or wear out.
    As usual I tried and no results for the search.

In all honesty the 45-90 cases I fireformed for my first 44-77 while waiting for Jamison to get their production up and running have lasted just fine and were capable of producing some very good groups.
    You might get ahold of Kenny Wasserburger a while back he told me he knew someone that had a pretty good batch of the BACO reformed 348's.

Boolit Master

Bent Ramrod, I also searched for your piece and found nothing. Any clues?

Boolit Master

You might look into 11mm Mauser but the rim thickness must be watched.

I have it in my files because it was an interest for me

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...g-44-77-Shells

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    405 brass is almost as bad or worse in the unobtainable category as the 44-77
    I have a 95 in 405 and enough brass and bullets to last me a while. I recently heard of an original Sharps Business rifle in 40-? caliber for sale locally. I'm trying to run that down and if I do pick it up I wouldn't need another 40 caliber Sharps. Not that I would turn one down.

Nice thing about that Hornady 405 brass it lasts a good long time

Boolit Bub
    Track of the Wolf shows that they have 43 Spanish in stock. Suitable brass is out there but get the brass in your hands before ordering a rifle. 44 2 1/4 SBN is a really sweet cartridge.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast