RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY Suppressor Question

Boolit Master

DIY Suppressor Question

I didn't want to hijack Don's thread so have started this one, primarily to ask about the availability of plans for suppressors. I have the necessary relevant machines, raw materials and a moderate degree of working knowledge to produce the components. I am about to apply for the proper stamp and understand there will be a long wait until it clears but I'd like to be able to educate myself in the interim. Any links to available information is appreciated.

Boolit Master
    There are a number of plans and schematics available online. But I believe you will have to have a plan in hand prior to applying for your Form 1****
    Last edited by cwtebay; 03-05-2024 at 08:45 PM.

Boolit Master
    There is a forum for suppressors called silencer talk, I think a quick search will turn it up. LOTS of good info there.

Boolit Master

If you are buildong your own, it is a Form 1.

A Form 4 is for transferring commercially manufactured suppressors or at least already manufactured suppressors.

The application, at least a couple years ago, did not require any plans, just a length, size/caliber, and serial number that would be engraved on it.

Boolit Master

An efile of a form 1 is supposed to be rather quick (relative to the Form 4)

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BK7saum View Post
    If you are buildong your own, it is a Form 1.

A Form 4 is for transferring commercially manufactured suppressors or at least already manufactured suppressors.

The application, at least a couple years ago, did not require any plans, just a length, size/caliber, and serial number that would be engraved on it.
    Apologies ...I need to wear my glasses.....

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    Apologies ...I need to wear my glasses.....

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    No apologies necessary. The paperwork is such a hassle anyway that I did want to the OP to fill out the wrong form the first time. I was not calling you out, just getting thr info out there.

I have a few friends considering buying or building suppressors and they have a million questions.

I have two form 1 suppressors. For design, it's best to keep it simple like a K or M baffle. Lots of stuff floating around over at silencertalk. It can also be disheartening talking with suppressor folks as sometimes they dog on an easy to make design because there is a different design that might give slightly better machine sound measuring readings where as your ears can't tell a difference. Also consider making a 1 and done suppressor like a hybrid46. Anything that going to see lead should be able to be user serviced. It's been about 10 years, but besides your name, city/state, Model number, serial number to be engraved on the tube they wanted a length and caliber. Those were the old paper Form 1's. I've done the online form 1 for SBR and had it back in something like 18 calender days.

Boolit Grand Master

On form 1 suppressers is it possible to legally do multi-caliber design like these? https://www.silencershop.com/blog/po...ber-suppressor
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    All good info - thanks to everyone who replied so far.

Boolit Master
    For anyone else who is interested, this is a pretty good link for technical explanation: https://ideaexchange.uakron.edu/cgi/...earch_projects

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post
    For anyone else who is interested, this is a pretty good link for technical explanation: https://ideaexchange.uakron.edu/cgi/...earch_projects
    Great post.

Even without the Nielsen device, the material cost of a home made unit will be in the $500 range. Not nearly as inexpensive as I had hoped. $900 for a commercial unit half the weight and "proven" is not outrageous after all.

I put a value of $15/hr on my spare time as I have a side business that earns over $20/hr. 33 hours of construction time is "worth" $500. That will not be a factor for others.

Hoping others will contribute more data on costs, time to construct and performance. No point reinventing the wheel IMO.
    Don Verna

I could build them myself, but I have no experience in machining titanium and just want a nice "proven" design as you say.
    Exotic metal gets expensive, and I just as soon not mess up a lot of it.
    I have plenty of other projects to do anyway.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post
    Thanks that will be helpful.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    On form 1 suppressers is it possible to legally do multi-caliber design like these? https://www.silencershop.com/blog/po...ber-suppressor
    It can be made for whatever caliber you want and you can use it on whatever smaller than stated caliber meaning if it’s registered as a 30cal on the form 1 you can still use it on 223 or whatever as long as the holes in the baffles and endcap will work for the caliber it’s supposed to be. I use my 9mm form 1 on several different caliber firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    I could build them myself, but I have no experience in machining titanium and just want a nice "proven" design as you say.
    Exotic metal gets expensive, and I just as soon not mess up a lot of it.
    I have plenty of other projects to do anyway.
    This is the milling plans I used for my ti 9mm form 1.

When they were done….

The tube with the baffle stack and spacers.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Great post.

Even without the Nielsen device, the material cost of a home made unit will be in the $500 range. Not nearly as inexpensive as I had hoped. $900 for a commercial unit half the weight and "proven" is not outrageous after all.

I put a value of $15/hr on my spare time as I have a side business that earns over $20/hr. 33 hours of construction time is "worth" $500. That will not be a factor for others.

Hoping others will contribute more data on costs, time to construct and performance. No point reinventing the wheel IMO.
    I agree with not reinventing the wheel - but I also think the DIY builder could simply use carbon steel and put up with a shorter lifespan on the components. I realize there is a weight savings with titanium; I also believe simpler materials would work.

The first combustion chamber takes most of the blast so that portion could be made from hardened tool steel or some other exotic, while the other parts can be less expensive choices. I already carry a Walker Colt replica from time to time - weight is of little consequence for me, since I'm not planning to hump a pack for weeks at a time. A person can always try to improve their personal conditioning so a few more ounces won't matter.

@ Iron369, great workmanship and pictures - looks like you certainly have a handle on it.

I haven’t bought any parts or made any new form 1’s since the gubmint started harassing people for buying solvent trap kits and I got a letter from the ATF because I bought a non regulated item that they think could potentially possibly one day maybe be converted into something regulated. I did convert it to something regulated but not till after I had already paid the infringement tax so they “allowed “ it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast