Load DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DIY Suppressor Question

Yes you can make a multi caliber can. They're likely not going to approve "MULTI" just like on a form 1 SBR they no longer approve "MULTI" for the caliber even if that's what the receiver is marked. They will approve whatever is the largest dia you want it to be for which will also naturally fit any dia under that. The Silencerco Hybrid 46 is rated diameter wise up to .460". I have one and have used it on 17HMR on up to 450BM. My two Form 1 cans are a .22" for quiet plinking and a .38" that will take at least up to my 375Win or 375FUW. If I was smarter at the time I'd of gone with .46" for the .38" can and never bought a Hybrid (even though I really like it).

about 15 years ago a co-worker came to me and showed me a book he had purchased and it explained how to make a "military grade" AR-15 suppressor from very commonly acquired items and one machined part that anyone with machining skills could create ( you also had to be a pretty good welder of which I am not). I didn't have machining skills ( still don't) , but I read through the book and it did appear to be quite simple to make but I wasn't aware of form 1's and all that stuff at the time and I certainly wasn't going to risk getting caught with a non-regulated item ( not sure if I was more worried about my wife finding out or the feds) so that was the end of that. I don't know if he ever made one , he didn't say and I didn't ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Moleman- View Post
    Yes you can make a multi caliber can. They're likely not going to approve "MULTI" just like on a form 1 SBR they no longer approve "MULTI" for the caliber even if that's what the receiver is marked. They will approve whatever is the largest dia you want it to be for which will also naturally fit any dia under that. The Silencerco Hybrid 46 is rated diameter wise up to .460". I have one and have used it on 17HMR on up to 450BM. My two Form 1 cans are a .22" for quiet plinking and a .38" that will take at least up to my 375Win or 375FUW. If I was smarter at the time I'd of gone with .46" for the .38" can and never bought a Hybrid (even though I really like it).
    I bought the Banish 46 because I figured on buying once and that would be it.
    The Banish 46 is user serviceable and modular, otherwise pretty much like the Hybrid 46 and will work with anything that will fit down the tube without hitting the baffles.
    Since it will work with ANY hi-powered rifle under 46 caliber it is pretty heavy even though it is almost entirely made of titanium except for the blast baffle which is Inconel.
    The Banish 46 is rated full auto and I believe the Hybrid 46 is as well.
    If you want a suppressor that will work with about any rifle, I believe either one of these will serve you well.
    If all you are going to use it for is pistols, either one will work, but are pretty unwieldy for handguns even in the shorter configuration.
    That is why I bought the Banish 45 for pistols and a Banish 22 for rimfires.
    I should be receiving the 22 can by Monday.
    Since I had the Banish 46 I decided to stick with the Banish line. They are pricy, but I figured if I'm going to do the hassle I might as will go for broke, what the hell I can't take it with me.

Boolit Master
    Isn't this a fun discussion? The same fella invented a device that is legally required (muffler), and one that is legally complicated (suppressor) FOR THE SAME CONCEPT!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    I could build them myself, but I have no experience in machining titanium and just want a nice "proven" design as you say.
    Exotic metal gets expensive, and I just as soon not mess up a lot of it.
    I have plenty of other projects to do anyway.
    I enjoy machining titanium. Tool wear is greater but nothing insurmountable. Some tips here https://www.kennametal.com/us/en/res...-titanium.html

Even though titanium is used for high temperature applications titanium is flammable. Really dull tools can start a chip fire. I did it once. I had two parts left in a roughing milling operation I didn't want to change inserts until I switched to the finish cut. A chip ignited started the ones on the floor on fire.
    https://flamevenge.com/is-titanium-flammable/
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    I enjoy machining titanium. Tool wear is greater but nothing insurmountable. Some tips here https://www.kennametal.com/us/en/res...-titanium.html

Even though titanium is used for high temperature applications titanium is flammable. Really dull tools can start a chip fire. I did it once. I had two parts left in a roughing milling operation I didn't want to change inserts until I switched to the finish cut. A chip ignited started the ones on the floor on fire.
    https://flamevenge.com/is-titanium-flammable/
    My two oldest sons were milling barrel hinges for a smoker they are making for an FFA project from bars of titanium that I had around. Told them to be careful, asked their shop teacher if she was familiar with it - she said she was. Well...... after the fire began, my boys elected to not allow the teacher to use the extinguisher - but threw a wool blanket over it. Can't say that was the perfect solution, but I guess that at least no one blew slag across the shop before putting it out!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    My two oldest sons were milling barrel hinges for a smoker they are making for an FFA project from bars of titanium that I had around. Told them to be careful, asked their shop teacher if she was familiar with it - she said she was. Well...... after the fire began, my boys elected to not allow the teacher to use the extinguisher - but threw a wool blanket over it. Can't say that was the perfect solution, but I guess that at least no one blew slag across the shop before putting it out!

Class A, B, C, extinguisher not recommend. Class D extinguishers are recommend. They are not cheap. They are yellow in color. In industry I always had them handy. At home chip control and not pushing dull cutters and a bucket of sand will be what I use.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Class A, B, C, extinguisher not recommend. Class D extinguishers are recommend. They are not cheap. They are yellow in color. In industry I always had them handy. At home chip control and not pushing dull cutters and a bucket of sand will be what I use.
    I wasn't there - but I had told them that if a fire started to get away from it and don't use the extinguisher. The wool blanket???? No clue why they elected that. But all turned out well. I have several videos of the fire and it is more than impressive.

Boolit Master
    An additional question on mounting systems…I have seen bayonet mounts used for muzzle brakes, generally on period rifles where barrel threads would ruin the original. One in particular, which was for a Moisin, had a slot that allowed the brake to be pushed onto the barrel then twisted a quarter turn to lock against the front sight. There were also three screws in the body, on 120 degree centers that both centered and locked the unit in place. This device worked perfectly fine for a brake, and it probably only needed an external sleeve to convert into a suppressor.

Does anyone use a slide and lock mounting system or is pretty much everything a threaded mount?

This is the brake, from Howling Raven: https://www.google.com/search?q=howl...-DPMU9bFc,st:0
    Last edited by HWooldridge; 03-08-2024 at 08:51 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12