RotoMetals2RepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad DataInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Welp, done went and ruined my nephew

These are the stories in life the world needs to hear more of. My father was the oldest of 4 boys and basically wound up raising his siblings. Had to leave country living to make a living back then. He helped his brothers all get started in life, and each one would tell if if weren't for him they don't know what they would have done.

I never had any children (that I'm aware of) and only one brother. He fathered a son who was born when I was 18. Sadly, the marriage fell apart within 2 years. Formers sister in law wound up marrying and moving to the other side of the state. So, I seldom got to see my lil buddy as much as I would have liked to. When he was about 8 years old and in for a week long visit, he came down to the barn to see what Unka was up to? I was sitting at my reloading bench rolling up some .44 Magnums for a S&W Model 29 with a 6.5" barrel. He got some kind of excited to find out a person could make their own ammunition. His step father was a good man, just not a hunter or much into fishing. The boy was already into the Boy Scouts and went the full mile and became an Eagle Scout. I asked if he'd like to try reloading a shell? He lit up and it was on! I told him about light loads, medium and full house loads. I let him load up 3 light loads and 3 mediums. We stepped out the back of the shop and I stood behind him. He's was a good size kid, and grew into big ole' boy. Any way, I loaded the gun up with the 3 light loads, 2 medium and one full house he was aware of I had in my pocket. All went well and when it was time to trigger the full house, I hadn't warned him but told him to be sure to get a good hold on the gun. I stepped up to with a foot behind him and he let loose. It pushed him back into my chest but he was still holding on. He just sort of stood there a couple of seconds not moving. Then he turned his shoulder and head back, looked up at me with a huge grin and said...FULL HOUSE! I can still see it in my mind when I think back on it. When he became of age, I gifted him with a 1911. He's grown to be a fine young man. We have running joke about how I'm his favorite uncle and he always replies with, well...it's because you're my only uncle.

Wolfdog91, you ain't ruined him. You've given him a passion that he not only loves, but it'll feed him if need be.
    Well done Uncle Wolf!

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    These are the stories in life the world needs to hear more of. My father was the oldest of 4 boys and basically wound up raising his siblings. Had to leave country living to make a living back then. He helped his brothers all get started in life, and each one would tell if if weren't for him they don't know what they would have done.

I never had any children (that I'm aware of) and only one brother. He fathered a son who was born when I was 18. Sadly, the marriage fell apart within 2 years. Formers sister in law wound up marrying and moving to the other side of the state. So, I seldom got to see my lil buddy as much as I would have liked to. When he was about 8 years old and in for a week long visit, he came down to the barn to see what Unka was up to? I was sitting at my reloading bench rolling up some .44 Magnums for a S&W Model 29 with a 6.5" barrel. He got some kind of excited to find out a person could make their own ammunition. His step father was a good man, just not a hunter or much into fishing. The boy was already into the Boy Scouts and went the full mile and became an Eagle Scout. I asked if he'd like to try reloading a shell? He lit up and it was on! I told him about light loads, medium and full house loads. I let him load up 3 light loads and 3 mediums. We stepped out the back of the shop and I stood behind him. He's was a good size kid, and grew into big ole' boy. Any way, I loaded the gun up with the 3 light loads, 2 medium and one full house he was aware of I had in my pocket. All went well and when it was time to trigger the full house, I hadn't warned him but told him to be sure to get a good hold on the gun. I stepped up to with a foot behind him and he let loose. It pushed him back into my chest but he was still holding on. He just sort of stood there a couple of seconds not moving. Then he turned his shoulder and head back, looked up at me with a huge grin and said...FULL HOUSE! I can still see it in my mind when I think back on it. When he became of age, I gifted him with a 1911. He's grown to be a fine young man. We have running joke about how I'm his favorite uncle and he always replies with, well...it's because you're my only uncle.

Wolfdog91, you ain't ruined him. You've given him a passion that he not only loves, but it'll feed him if need be.
    Well done Uncle Wolf!

Murphy
    Well indeed! Sometimes things like this is what makes kids go good instead of bad. More of this needs to be done in our whole society.

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    My older brother takes his grandson to the range when he goes to visit. He refers to it as a MAN UP experience.

I do this with my own grandson.

Grew up in the Everglades, on the big lake. By age 9 I was guiding fishermen out on the lake and through the "grasslands" on the lake. I lived in the water and the woods. Kids, girls and boys, both need the woods and the water to learn about life and being self reliant. Fishing and hunting, teaches much more than just fishing and hunting.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master

It is great that you got him out to see the real world and how things work it is a very valuable life lesson.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master
    Another good job!!!

More kids need that kind of "Ruining". Some of my favorite memories are fishing with my Grandfather. Can't wait to take my Granddaughter.... She's only 8 months old right now.

Good for you man. He will NEVER forget you for that day.

BNE
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12