RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2
WidenersTitan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sick of replacing decapping pins

Sick of replacing decapping pins

I have a ton of 223 brass that I am prepping.
    I have lost two decap pins to an undersized flash hole with one particular headstamp of brass.
    Until I get this sorted out, I am sorting the brass and scrapping the particular headstamp. BUT, that is just an additonal step I don't need to take if I can solve this.
    I don't remember, but there is one 223 sizer die that has a solid machined one piece decap rod. I think it is Lee but not sure. Right now using Redding.
    That should do it.
    No more replaced decap pins.
    Who makes that sizer/decap die or am i being like Biden?
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master

Yes; Lee deprimer die is what I am using.

Caution - I have been processing many hundred of Range Pick up .308/7.62 over the last couple of weeks. I have experienced exactly the same problem as you have with the .223; while using the Lee Deprimer. I do not use the depriming stem that came with my RCBS or Hornady dies for this reason. In last week I have bent 3 lee depriming stems because of "Foreign" surplus brass in the range pick up. FN is the common thread on that one so I have simply started tossing any FN headstamps.

Replacing the Lee Depriming stem is much cheaper than either the Hornady or RCBS stems. Looks like the Lee Depriming stems (New and Improved version) are available at Amazon. Your posting sparked me to look at amazon; and I just ordered some more.

https://www.amazon.com/ZOEKIM-Decapp...085WZ5QH3&th=1
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

I just ordered two 5-packs of decapping pins from Midway, the standard and the older type with heads. I saw that Midway also sells some undersized pins for undersized flash holes, but .223/5.56mm brass is so common that scrapping it might be the wise move.

DG

I bend quite a few too.
    I recently discovered-
    The new Hornady dies have a head on the pin (like a nail or something) and are stupid expensive.
    With them--- you can't just use the needle bearings out of a scrounged old car 'U' joint.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I use nothing but range pick up 223 and 308 and got real tired of screwing up decapping pins and rods. Several of my die sets are Lyman. I screwed a Lyman Decapping Rod for Universal Decapping Die (Lyman Part# 7990528....now selling for $4.05 at MidSouth) into a Lyman M2 Die body and presto I had a strong universal decapping die that has lasted a long time. I've taken the decapping rods out of my 223 and 308 sizer dies and use Lyman M1 dies for case neck expansion. The first "step" of the Lyman 22R and 30R M1/M2 expanding buttons are exactly the same diameter as the expanding buttons on the 223 and 308 decapping rods. Yes, extra work, but cheap and a real grief saver for me.
    COME AND TAKE IT
    Let’s Go Brandon!!!!

Boolit Master

A Lee die with decapping rods from Squirrel Daddy. Should solve the problem.

https://www.squirreldaddy.com/Decapping-pin-s/336.htm

Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    Yes; Lee deprimer die is what I am using.

Caution - I have been processing many hundred of Range Pick up .308/7.62 over the last couple of weeks. I have experienced exactly the same problem as you have with the .223; while using the Lee Deprimer. I do not use the depriming stem that came with my RCBS or Hornady dies for this reason. In last week I have bent 3 lee depriming stems because of "Foreign" surplus brass in the range pick up. FN is the common thread on that one so I have simply started tossing any FN headstamps.

Replacing the Lee Depriming stem is much cheaper than either the Hornady or RCBS stems. Looks like the Lee Depriming stems (New and Improved version) are available at Amazon. Your posting sparked me to look at amazon; and I just ordered some more.

https://www.amazon.com/ZOEKIM-Decapp...085WZ5QH3&th=1
    I have had the same problem with one brand of 9mm. Norma.

ACC

Boolit Master

look at the fw decappers, https://fwarms.com/shop/reloading/fw...pper-deprimer/ thats what the brass processors are running. also for the primer pocket, instead of the swage use a reamer, makes better pockets, you can get it from https://immortobot.com/index.php?mai...roducts_id=470
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master
    I use the Harvey Deprimer;
    https://harveydeprimer.com/

It is /stout/, and even decaps WWII USGI M2 cases w/ crimped & corroded-in primers.
    I never break decapping pins any more, that's for sure.

I use the standard 0.07" integral pin, but there is also a 0.06" integral pin.

Far more convenient than using a press; I usually sit back & watch a movie while depriming, no adjustments ever needed between different-sized cases.

Made here in Oregon; I have met the inventor and he's a straight-up guy for sure.
    Last edited by Kestrel4k; 03-04-2024 at 08:58 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I've found that over the years I have gotten better at feeling any stubborn primers. I immediately stop, check the headstamp and toss if it is a known problem. I use a lot less force than I used to and thus have a lot less broken pins.

Boolit Buddy
    Mighty armory is your friend.

I use a Frankford Arsenal Platinum Series Hand Deprimer Tool for Standard Primers. If you can't punch out the primer, at least you don't break the pin, unless you have a grip like the Hulk.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

I use a Dillon 550 with a toolhead with a single 223 sizer/decapper to process all my .223 brass.
    I probably need some psychological help, but I seem to enjoy the brass prep.
    Losing/breaking a decap pin just breaks the flow of the task....especially when you are in the zone and cranking out the work.
    I'll take a look tomorrow and study the suggestions. Many thanks to all.
    As for primer pocket swaging, I use the Dillon swager. I do each and every piece of 223 and 308 brass regardless of how many times they have been fired. They let you know when it is time to hit the scrap bucket.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

I just finished prepping 250 mixed mil brass and only found 3 that were really hard to deprime, but did not look at the bases . I would like to know what brand you are having that issue with so I can check mine and maybe weed them out, hopefully.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master
    Norma has tiny flash holes, at least in 9mm.
    In 223 I find Fiocci flash holes are not consistently centered which also bends pins.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    A Lee die with decapping rods from Squirrel Daddy. Should solve the problem.

https://www.squirreldaddy.com/Decapping-pin-s/336.htm
    Yeah that’s what I heard, until I spent the extra money for squirrel daddy pins and broke a bunch of them! Now we just buy the standard Lee replacements as a matter of fact they’re guaranteed! If you break one send it back to them and they’ll send you a new one! Unfortunately you have to pay the shipping but it’s still cheaper than buying a bunch of them!
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    I use a Dillon 550 with a toolhead with a single 223 sizer/decapper to process all my .223 brass.
    I probably need some psychological help, but I seem to enjoy the brass prep.
    Losing/breaking a decap pin just breaks the flow of the task....especially when you are in the zone and cranking out the work.
    I'll take a look tomorrow and study the suggestions. Many thanks to all.
    As for primer pocket swaging, I use the Dillon swager. I do each and every piece of 223 and 308 brass regardless of how many times they have been fired. They let you know when it is time to hit the scrap bucket.
    Nothing worse than bending decapping pins or stems, I've bent a few.
    Lately I've done better, and just finished prepping over 2000 pieces of 223 cases. They're already for reloading, sorted, trimmed, chaffered inside and outside of the case mouth, primer pockets cleaned, wet tumbled, and then dried in a dehydrator.

I also use a Dillon 550 and I keep one toolhead empty for my sizing/decapping dies, which works pretty well. Since you only need to load the brass for sizing/ decapping and let the 550 unload the sized brass.
    Most all of my toolheads I leave the sizer die out, that way it doesn't get in the way for priming before going to the next station. I also use a Dillon swager, sure takes a lot of work out of those crimped primer pockets.

Boolit Buddy
    Lee universal decapping die.
    Take the decapping pin out and put it in a drill.
    Hit it with a file till the pin is below 1.5mm which is the size of Lapua small flash holes.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Shanghai Jack View Post
    Mighty armory is your friend.
    I second this

The Lee decapping system is pretty good, if you set it right.

Its a 1/8" NPT collet that holds the pin, when set right, its good enough to poke a primer out but an obstruction will just slide the pin up in the collet vs mangling things.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast