WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sick of replacing decapping pins

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel4k View Post
    I use the Harvey Deprimer;
    https://harveydeprimer.com/

It is /stout/, and even decaps WWII USGI M2 cases w/ crimped & corroded-in primers.
    I never break decapping pins any more, that's for sure.

I use the standard 0.07" integral pin, but there is also a 0.06" integral pin.

Far more convenient than using a press; I usually sit back & watch a movie while depriming, no adjustments ever needed between different-sized cases.

Made here in Oregon; I have met the inventor and he's a straight-up guy for sure.
    Same here. I don't like getting the extra junk on my press and the Harvey is very easy and convenient. I know you were looking for a solution to your current issue, but this is an alternative that is worth looking into, in my humble opinion of course.
    Ron

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    Norma has tiny flash holes, at least in 9mm….
    AND 38 special / 357 mag!
    Fiocchi - GLF brass primer holes seem well centered in those cartridges but there’s another manufacturer (I can’t remember) that is super irritating.

back when i was working at FORD dealership, the parts dept had many different needle bearings that were used in standard transmissions - took a mic + got several diameters that work perfectly in my RCBS sizer/decapper dies -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Settled this - I ordered a Lee 223 sizer die and 3 extra decapping rods.
    No more broken/missing decap pins for me!
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master
    I’ve been decapping all of my brass for over 15 years since first getting the Lee Universal Decapping die and am still on the original pin. At the time I bought it I picked up 3 replacement pins and they’re still sitting in my spare parts drawer. In this time I’m sure I’ve deprimed well over 100,000 rounds.

Boolit Buddy
    if you consider crimped primers an obstruction and the necessity for a vise so you can grinch the NPT collet to a bazillion foot pounds lee's are great (not)

Boolit Master
    The key to the Lee die is to disassemble it and make sure there is absolutely no oil on the stem or collet. Even the slightest bit of oil will cause it to slip no matter how hard you crank on it. When set properly it will slip when needed, but if it slips you have to take it apart and once again make sure that it’s clean of oil. While this can get annoying sometimes it’s the way it’s designed to work.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    So why not just turn a 1/4x4" grade 5 or 8 bolt down under .223 3" inches from the last thread bevel the head cut off and sweat in a U joint bearing ? Then screw it into a RCBS universal decapping die with a jamb nut . It's a $2 30 minute solution for a $6 oops .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Moderator Emeritus

Maybe I was lucky, but I took on the task of making quite a pile of dummy ammo for club instructional purposes. With a time line -- the Saturday class, and this was Thursday -- I was going OK until my first decap pin broke. OK -- I have a few spares -- but, they broke, too ! As I looked up to scratch my head I noted a few "maybe right size?" Allen wrenches affixed to magnets on a lamp beam... And, it was not too hard to find one of the exact size needed. Out came the Dremel to cut off the right length -- I reckoned, too, I had just about the right amount left for a 2nd "pin" if the first failed.
    This was more than five years ago -- and my home-made-Allen pin still has worked flawlessly!
    If all else fails for you... you may wish to try this?
    geo

Boolit Buddy
    Mighty Armory..here after bent, broken pins, TAA headstamp brass did em all in except
    the Mighty Amory one.

-Rock

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    Maybe I was lucky, but I took on the task of making quite a pile of dummy ammo for club instructional purposes. With a time line -- the Saturday class, and this was Thursday -- I was going OK until my first decap pin broke. OK -- I have a few spares -- but, they broke, too ! As I looked up to scratch my head I noted a few "maybe right size?" Allen wrenches affixed to magnets on a lamp beam... And, it was not too hard to find one of the exact size needed. Out came the Dremel to cut off the right length -- I reckoned, too, I had just about the right amount left for a 2nd "pin" if the first failed.
    This was more than five years ago -- and my home-made-Allen pin still has worked flawlessly!
    If all else fails for you... you may wish to try this?
    geo
    I will keep that one in mind.

I was having tons of trouble with 5.56 brass decapping military cases. Ran out of pins.

Ordered some Squirrel Daddy ones and never used them. Got sidetracked to other more "fun" stuff. I hate processing brass.
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by Shanghai Jack View Post
    if you consider crimped primers an obstruction and the necessity for a vise so you can grinch the NPT collet to a bazillion foot pounds lee's are great (not)
    I just checked the torque on my Lee universal decapping die with a witness mark and applying force until it tightened further ~20ft/lb is where it moved. It will decap crimped pockets without moving.

The collet is 1/2" the flats on the die are 3/4", no vise needed.

I have even built machines that use them because they work better than the others and all it takes to implement them is an 1/8 npt tap.

Boolit Buddy
    I purchased a Mark7 decapping die and never looked back. It has a steep price but it just works. I was tired of pins on my Lee and even MA systems braking when processing 223 and 9mm.

Sent fra min Pixel 8 via Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Lee. And keep a heavy hammer handy when sizing/decapping big lots of brass. When the small or offcenter flashholes push the decapping stem back, just give it a couple taps.

A normal hammer works too, but it'll peen/mushroom the end of the decapping stem faster.

I've decapped thousands of crimped OF'd. I don't even try to torque the stem tight enough to decap these 100%. If the stem backs out once in awhile on a crimped pocket, who cares? Tap tap until I hear the ping of the primer popping out, then the stem is perfectly set. If it happens more than once in a blue moon, tap tap ping, then give it a little more torque with your wrench.
    Last edited by gloob; 03-11-2024 at 11:42 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MOshooter View Post
    Nothing worse than bending decapping pins or stems, I've bent a few.
    Lately I've done better, and just finished prepping over 2000 pieces of 223 cases. They're already for reloading, sorted, trimmed, chaffered inside and outside of the case mouth, primer pockets cleaned, wet tumbled, and then dried in a dehydrator.

I also use a Dillon 550 and I keep one toolhead empty for my sizing/decapping dies, which works pretty well. Since you only need to load the brass for sizing/ decapping and let the 550 unload the sized brass.
    Most all of my toolheads I leave the sizer die out, that way it doesn't get in the way for priming before going to the next station. I also use a Dillon swager, sure takes a lot of work out of those crimped primer pockets.
    Lee offers an undersize decapping pin for their universal decapping die, and they also offer the die with the pin installed.

https://www.titanreloading.com/produ...decapping-die/

https://www.titanreloading.com/produ...decapping-pin/

Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Buddy
    RCBS sells small replacement pins for smaller primer holes. Don't remember the details or if they fit all of their dies though.

There are a few sellers on ebay, who make decapping pins in house and have had good luck with them vs factory ones.

Quote Originally Posted by nicholst55 View Post
    Lee offers an undersize decapping pin for their universal decapping die, and they also offer the die with the pin installed.

https://www.titanreloading.com/produ...decapping-die/

nicholst55 thanks for the information and links, I appreciate the help, thanks

Mighty Armory de-priming die solved my problems & frustrations with decapping pins. If the case didn't have a flash-hole it'd make one!
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pertnear View Post
    Mighty Armory de-priming die solved my problems & frustrations with decapping pins. If the case didn't have a flash-hole it'd make one!
    Interesting. If it did not have a flash-hole, how did it fire the first time?

Just kidding, I know what you meant.
    Don Verna

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast