WidenersRotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackbox
Reloading EverythingLoad DataLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Think I'll try 6.5 Grendel next

Think I'll try 6.5 Grendel next

Saw this on NOEs site . Cool lil mold and I've been wanting a new caliber to play around with in cast , already have a 10.5" 6.5 Grendel upper I've been meaning to rebuild with a longer barrel so why not. Especially with how easy 7.62x39 was . They share the same case parent case so hmmmmm. Shouldn't be too hard at all I don't think

Also bee thinking about getting a bear creek side charging upper and modding it to work like a lantac.... Shouldn't be too hard honestly and cheaper then a bolt gun

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Boolit Master
    I love my Grendels - just about a perfect mid range caliber.
    One word of caution with that mould, the gas checks tend to leave the bullet and create a baffle strike if you're using a suppressor. Expensive lesson.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    If I ever had to have an AR, it would be 6.5 Grendel.

Boolit Buddy

I have that mold. Had issues with the nose size in AR. Bought the Noe nose sizer but haven't gotten around to fooling with it yet. Also was experimenting with converting x39 brass. Worked OK, just be mindful of how you set your sizing die. I had a few that didn't fully size.

You'll probably be happy with it.
    I'm not a 6mm guy, but the Grendel has almost a cult following.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

I love the Grendel but I’ve never cast for it. I have it set up for night prowlers.

Boolit Master

I had a grendel, but let my friend talk me out of it. It was a tackdriver with 123 hornady bullets.

I then built a 260 remington AR10 for my nighthunting rig. Just a bit flatter, farther than the grendel.

Go for it, the grendel is a really solid cartridge in the AR15 platform.

Another up and comer is the 6 ARC.

Quote Originally Posted by BK7saum View Post
    I had a grendel, but let my friend talk me out of it. It was a tackdriver with 123 hornady bullets.

I then built a 260 remington AR10 for my nighthunting rig. Just a bit flatter, farther than the grendel.

Go for it, the grendel is a really solid cartridge in the AR15 platform.

Another up and comer is the 6 ARC.
    Planning on both a 6 and .22 ARC soon
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

USMC 77, USRA 79

I would LOVE to try this bullet in my HOWA Bolt gun… lemme know if you get it and I can borrow a few!!
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master

Markopolo, Not to detract from WD91s thread, but i have the flat nose version if you or he would like to try some before he buys a mold. The offer is open to both of you.

Boolit Buddy
    Play with the 6.5 Grendel in a CZ 527, sort of a niche round for me. Might try antelope one day and it would work on deer, but I do have my qualms about it on elk. And when out looking for elk is when my deer tend to get shot. It is an interesting round though. The little CZ would make a great lead bullet launcher, but I haven't progressed that far with it yet.

The grendel is a sweet little cartridge.

I bought that mold over a year ago and other casting and reloading projects/life..... have kept me from testing it out yet.

I even cast some up with it too so not even sure what my problem us.. lol

Be sure to share your results with it!

My grendel is an AR with a 20" barrel.

Boolit Master

Count me in the "Grendel Camp." Great cartridge!

One question for those here, why does the primer pocket get loose when firing forming 7.62x39 brass to Grendel?

Every 7.62 x 39 I fireform to Grendel is worthless due to the loose primer pocket. I am using low pressure loads to fireform, but I am afraid to use the reformed brass due to possible gas leak around the primer. I use Winchester brass.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Hickok View Post
    One question for those here, why does the primer pocket get loose when firing forming 7.62x39 brass to Grendel?

Every 7.62 x 39 I fireform to Grendel is worthless due to the loose primer pocket. I am using low pressure loads to fireform, but I am afraid to use the reformed brass due to possible gas leak around the primer. I use Winchester brass.
    What powder are you using? Perhaps you're getting S.E.E. from the light loads. Try a different powder perhaps.

Also, get a real good look at your chamber, maybe do a cerrosafe casting.
    And just for your info... casting with a single cavity is about as close as you can get to zero production, while still having some production. -- Whitespider

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfdog91 View Post
    Saw this on NOEs site . Cool lil mold and I've been wanting a new caliber to play around with in cast , already have a 10.5" 6.5 Grendel upper I've been meaning to rebuild with a longer barrel so why not. Especially with how easy 7.62x39 was . They share the same case parent case so hmmmmm. Shouldn't be too hard at all I don't think

Also bee thinking about getting a bear creek side charging upper and modding it to work like a lantac.... Shouldn't be too hard honestly and cheaper then a bolt gun

If you have a 10.5" upper is it on a pistol or a rifle?

I am not up to date on the legal intricacies of making a pistol into a rifle or the other way around. Guys here will know but something to think about. I know that an NFA stamp is needed for a SBR and suppressor as those are a couple of things I am looking at.

Should be an interesting build.
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    If you have a 10.5" upper is it on a pistol or a rifle?

I am not up to date on the legal intricacies of making a pistol into a rifle or the other way around. Guys here will know but something to think about. I know that an NFA stamp is needed for a SBR and suppressor as those are a couple of things I am looking at.

Should be an interesting build.
    It's a pistol hence why I'm gonna re barrel it and make it into a rifle upper. The uppers don't matter as far as swapping it and it being a rifle or and upper. Like I can take a pistol upper but a rifle barrle on it and use it on a rifle lower. Unlike though a rifle stick on a pistol lower
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Boolit Master
    Whomever said that a bolt gun in 6.5 Grendel wasn't a desire needs to think about knock down power, the ability to suppress it to a soft clap, and that the round is inherently STOOPID accurate!! Closes in on 1/2 MOA with the thermal - BETWEEN USERS!! I keep this Ruger Ranch Rifle in my truck most days - iRay Bolt 50 - Rex Silentium on the business end....mmmhhmmm.
    Brass available from Starline, I have owned this one for over 7 years now and can't say I have seen a need to make brass for it.
    For coyotes at night - I would challenge anyone to beat this set up.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Now for some gas checks ,new barrel and handgaurd....dang also need to buy some new alloy

MS Army Guard 2016-2021

A great cartridge and accurate. If you shoot a jacketed bullet in the future, be aware the 7.62x39 military case is not the same as the Alexander Arms designed 6.5 Grendel case and pressures can be an issue due to the thickness of the military designed cases.

Boolit Grand Master

Absolutely love the Grendel! Made the mistake of letting my Grand-Niece shoot one of mine and had to gift her one of my 3 AR's chambered for it.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast