RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationWidenersLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: recommend a good electronic scale?

Boolit Buddy

recommend a good electronic scale?

I have been using an old Dillion electric scale for many years now and have had no complaints. However, with the purchase of an 8-bore, I have found the scales limit. The boolits for the 8-bore are simply too heavy for the scale!

So now I'm looking for a nice quality, reliable, reasonably accurate, scale capable of weighing projectiles up to maybe around 1500gr. Money is a little tight these days, so it also needs to be affordable... lets say under $300.

Anything like this out there?

Thank you

Boolit Grand Master

When these were on sale they were $279.00 They currently are not on sale. I am very happy with mine. https://www.creedmoorsports.com/prod...-925-precision
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Matt85 View Post
    I have been using an old Dillion electric scale for many years now and have had no complaints. However, with the purchase of an 8-bore, I have found the scales limit. The boolits for the 8-bore are simply too heavy for the scale!

So now I'm looking for a nice quality, reliable, reasonably accurate, scale capable of weighing projectiles up to maybe around 1500gr. Money is a little tight these days, so it also needs to be affordable... lets say under $300.

Anything like this out there?

Thank you
    Sorry after digging I found the specs on mine. It's only good for 925 grains, https://ultimatereloader.com/2021/12...edmoor-sports/

Don's recommendation does go up to 1,500 grains https://ultimatereloader.com/2021/04...l-bench-scale/
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

I have the Hornady model that dverna is alluding to.
    I am happy with mine.

Vendor Sponsor

I am very pleased with the RCBS scale. One of the things I like the best is no plastic funnel = no static.

It also seems to go to the finished weight pretty quickly not any slow to tally and can't make up it's mind over 1/10th of a grain, the RCBS is quick.

https://www.rcbs.com/priming-and-pow.../16-98914.html
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy
    Something to consider is if you are wanting to weigh 1500 grains accurately then the scale needs to have a capacity of greater than 1500 grains. Typically, an electronic scale will have it's best accuracy mid-range of its capacity with accuracy being more variable at the extreme ends. A set of known check weights will allow you to verify accuracy across the range of the scale. IF you are striving for utmost scale accuracy don't handle the check weights with bare hands - only gloves or tongs. The next concern is what degree of precision do you want - 1 grain, 0.1 grain, 0.01 grain, or? The price will go up the more precision desired.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the replies all!

My projectiles weigh between 900 and 1350gr.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt85 View Post
    Thanks for the replies all!

My projectiles weigh between 900 and 1350gr.
    Gotta ask what are these for?

Boolit Master
    Look at all the various models that use strain gauge/gage technology to check the weight. Find and compare the ones that read to .02 of a grain. Your error will be in the hundredths of a grain instead of tenths. If you want faster and more stable readout than go to magnetic force restoration technology but expect to pay 2-3 times what you want to pay. Cheaper scales or balances have sorrier software and the cheapest have no way to owner change the parameters. Get a good self sealing container to store it in and expect to leave it plugged in for at least 2 hours to acclimate and warm up. A lab balance will react to wind movement in the room and an unstable floor.

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    They work very well, fairly stable and always to a +/- .1gr. Perfect for handgun loads. I've got a couple ASTM2 cal weights I'll verify before a charging session, and it's always spot on. Takes up so little space on the bench compared to my Ohaus STX123.