Load DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
WidenersRepackboxReloading EverythingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lyman 452460 ?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Chunky Monkey View Post
    using wheel weight lead!
    According to what I've read here on the forum, you ought to add a couple of feet of 95-5 Lead Free Solder to about 10 lb wheelweights. It will allow better "Castability". Sounds like a George Bush word, huh?

anachronism
    Does it really matter if they're the size you want & get lubed satisfactorily? Each mould is a law unto itself. I have my Star dies made slightly large so I can avoid sizing the bullets as much as possible. My 45 ACP sizer is a .453, I want it to be tight enough to lube the bullet, but bullets seem to be at their best when they are unsized. .453 chambers fine in all my 45s.

Just thought I would use this thread rather than starting a new one.

I just got the 2 cavity 452460 last week and cast some boolits. I checked some with my calipers (don't have a micrometer) and they are right about .452. I went to size them today using a 452 sizing die and I can push them down into the sizer with my finger.

What should they be dropping at? Is the mould dropping them a little small or should I just lube em and shoot em?

In Remebrance

Do you know of a place to get one that cheap? I'll have to pick one up.
    Ebay, Harbor Frieght, Northern Tool. Any of the Chiwanese 1" mics are good enough for what we do as long as you have a standard to measure against. If you don't want cheapy-cheap cruise Ebay and get a used Starret, B+S, Lufkin, Mitutoyo, etc. Still should be under $20-25.00 with shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207 View Post
    How do you know what size your sizer is if you don't have a mic? It might be .453 or 4 . Just because it's marked .452 doesn't mean it is. Spend $10.00 and get an inexpensive mic and make sure it has a standard to measure against.
    BINGO! You hit the nail on the head. I got a micrometer at Harbor Freight ($19.99) and my 452 sizer die is sizing to 453. I checked some other boolits I have sized. Is this common with sizer dies?

The other boolits I have sized in it shoot just fine. Guess I'll run some thru it to lube them and see how they shoot.

Thanks for your help guys I really appreciate it!!!
    "A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys." ~ Charlton Heston, 1997

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12