Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackboxWideners
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lyman 452460 ?

Boolit Buddy

Lyman 452460 ?

How does the Lyman 452460 200 gr SWC stack up against the H&G 68 Style boolit in terms of accuracy? In the past I've shot alot of the commercial 200 gr SWC in 45 acp that were cast from Magma moulds, and accuracy has been excellent. Now that I'm back into casting, I want a four-holer in 200 gr. SWC, but I want to know it's an accurate design to start with.

Boolit Buddy
    I have one and they shoot just as well as a commercial #68 in my Nowlin. I can get 2" 25 yard groups off the bench with either bullet. I obviously am not the best accuracy wise but it works for me.

Boolit Master

I've shot loads and loads of each bullet since 1958 and either will do the job in an outstanding manner.

I'm partial to the casting ability of H & G moulds but other than that, there's not a whit of difference./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks! I've got two 45's, one Full-Blown Custom I had made in 1985, and a Kimber Eclipse Target. Both guns will shoot a GOOD 200 gr. SWC into 1" or less for 5 shots @ 25 yds. off of bags. Although I use them both for defensive type shooting & I don't usually need that degree of accuracy, it's nice to know the guns/ammo will do it! I think I'll go for the Lyman Mould then.

Boolit Buddy
    This particular bullet has become a mission from God for me. Lyman's recommende OAL for the .45 ACP is 1.160" and at that length it would stovepipe every other round. After doing some research I read that increasing the OAL improves feeding, which I found to be true. By increasing OAL to 1.175" I got it to feed properly, but the slide would not move forward far enough to lock. I ended up buying a taper crimp to reduce the mouth diameter to about 0.474" and now rounds will finally feed properly. Accuracy of this bullet is about 2.5" at 25yards. It is good though at cutting very neat round holes in paper.
    Michael

Boolit Buddy
    Geez, My OAL is 1.250" on both guns using the 200 grSWC. I taper crimp to .472" and never had a problem with the load/bullet in either gun.

Boolit Master
    I have the 452460; the RCBS 200 SWC; and my buddy's RCBS 201. My favorite of the 3 is the RCBS 201. I seat the bullets so that the base of the brass is even with the back of the barrel hood and I sure can't seat the 452460 or the RCBS 200 out to 1.250. It is possible to seat the 201 to that length and get it to work but it's still too far out for my 45. The shorter bullets have resulted in stove pipe feeding problems with certain mags but the 201 feeds flawlessly and is a flat base design which I prefer over the H&G 68. It's also just as accurate as the other two in my pistol.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by beagle View Post
    I've shot loads and loads of each bullet since 1958 and either will do the job in an outstanding manner.

I'm partial to the casting ability of H & G moulds but other than that, there's not a whit of difference./beagle
    Out of my two guns, it doesn't seem to make a whole lotta' difference in powder charge. I use WW-231 and can load anywhere from 5.1 grains to 5.6 grains and the Commercial 200 grainers will shoot extremely well. I've got some Saeco 200 grSWC that will shoot under an inch.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by txbirdman View Post
    I have the 452460; the RCBS 200 SWC; and my buddy's RCBS 201. My favorite of the 3 is the RCBS 201. I seat the bullets so that the base of the brass is even with the back of the barrel hood and I sure can't seat the 452460 or the RCBS 200 out to 1.250. It is possible to seat the 201 to that length and get it to work but it's still too far out for my 45. The shorter bullets have resulted in stove pipe feeding problems with certain mags but the 201 feeds flawlessly and is a flat base design which I prefer over the H&G 68. It's also just as accurate as the other two in my pistol.
    What stops your gun from handling an overall cartridge length of 1.250", using the 200 gr. cast SWC? What type of 45 is it?

Boolit Buddy
    It's not the OAL you want to watch,It's the shoulder of the top band you want even with or just above the case mouth.

Boolit Buddy
    Yeah, I know about headspace. I've never had any problems in 35 years or so except for my Taurus PT945 won't feed them reliably at that length. Most 45 acp brass I shoot is below the max length so it doesn't make any difference, even tho the case does headspace off the mouth. As long as it chambers & slide is fully in battery, you're good to go.

Boolit Grand Master

You want the shoulder about .010" to .040" above the case, depending
    on your chamber design. 1.250 should work fine with any 1911.

My best ever groups (about 0.9" at 25 yds) in a 1911 have come with the
    452460 over 3.5 Titegroup. More powder opens the groups noticably and
    neither commercial H&G 68 copies or personal castings from my real H&G 68
    mold have matched it yet in any of my 1911s. RCBS 200SWC has been very
    good also, but not quite up with the 452460.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Buddy
    I've not been able to get Titegroup to shoot that well in my 45s. Like I said, I managed to shoot a 7/8" group with the 200 gr Saeco (#069) and 5.4 gr. of WW-231. For whatever reason 231 shoot well in my 45s. I'll have to try your load this spring and see what it'll do in my guns.

Boolit Master
    I shot a lot of the 452460s for Bullseye and action pistol. The 452260 is Lymans version of the H&G #130, shorter nose and more bearing surface than the #68. IMO the double lube grooves make it a little trickier to get the OAL "just right". 1.20 worked great for me. This boolit shot significantly better at 50 yards for me than any of the H&G #68 designs. And as a big plus the 2 smaller lube grooves carry less lube, and burn much less lube, so less smoke and more rounds between cleanings.

Those of you who prefer the H&G #68 style could probably achieve similar benefits by purchasing additional lube grooves from Waksupi to use with your #68s

BD

Just thought I would use this thread rather than starting a new one.

I just got the 2 cavity 452460 last week and cast some boolits. I checked some with my calipers (don't have a micrometer) and they are right about .452. I went to size them today using a 452 sizing die and I can push them down into the sizer with my finger.

What should they be dropping at? Is the mould dropping them a little small or should I just lube em and shoot em?
    Last edited by Chunky Monkey; 02-24-2009 at 09:09 PM.
    "A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys." ~ Charlton Heston, 1997

Boolit Buddy
    What alloy are you using? I'm thinking they should drop out @ .453" or .454". using Lyman #2 or equiv.

using wheel weight lead!
    "A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys." ~ Charlton Heston, 1997

Mine drop around 454 to 455 with ww
    Steve

In Remebrance

Quote Originally Posted by Chunky Monkey View Post
    Just thought I would use this thread rather than starting a new one.

I just got the 2 cavity 452460 last week and cast some boolits. I checked some with my calipers (don't have a micrometer) and they are right about .452. I went to size them today using a 452 sizing die and I can push them down into the sizer with my finger.

What should they be dropping at? Is the mould dropping them a little small or should I just lube em and shoot em?
    How do you know what size your sizer is if you don't have a mic? It might be .453 or 4 . Just because it's marked .452 doesn't mean it is. Spend $10.00 and get an inexpensive mic and make sure it has a standard to measure against.

Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207 View Post
    How do you know what size your sizer is if you don't have a mic? It might be .453 or 4 . Just because it's marked .452 doesn't mean it is. Spend $10.00 and get an inexpensive mic and make sure it has a standard to measure against.
    Do you know of a place to get one that cheap? I'll have to pick one up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast