MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad DataRepackbox
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: should you ever give in? give up?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by steve urquell View Post
    I work in the hospital snd see life and death on a daily basis. Those who stop moving too soon end quickly. Even terminal cancer patients do much better when they stay active burning chemo out of their systems quickly where those who sit around suffer because it does not circulate out quickly.

My advise after treating 40,000 patients. Go/stay active until you drop dead. You'll be much happier for it and the end will be peaceful and quick rather than slow and horrifying.
    You are so right. Keep moving, keep the mind and body busy. What is painful is watching life long friends sitting in their chair staring at the TV and just living from one meal to the next.
    I think to a certain extent we can be what we demand our bodies to be.
    Facta non verba

Boolit Master
    I have a very good friend who is 4 years older than me. He recently lost his wife of 60 some years, after a 3+ year battle with a disease(?) that killed her a little bit at a time. She was in a care home for the last 3 + years and he would visit her almost every day. At 89 his short term memory seems to be eroding while his long term memory seems to be very good. He was always involved in life long efforts to make life better for those around him but now he mostly seems to just goes through the motions to get through each day. We worked out of the same office for the last 13 years of my work-life, although I have known him for years. I call him at least once a week and we spend about an hour+ just talking. I try to convince him he needs to get interested/involved in something/anything to keep his mind and body sharp. Over the years I have noticed that, at least, mentally active folks seem to last longer but that may be (or not) true. He lives 3 hours away but he still drives and we go fishing during the summer. Hopefully we will go hunting this fall (God willing) and he says he only wants to hunt birds. I agreed to this but I told him if I see a legal Moose-----well---. We can hunt out of one of my boys places which are about a 6 hour drive north of where I live, or we can just rent a Motel.

We worked hard for our pensions and although I realize the government wishes we would all just die as soon as we retire so they can waste more money, I will hang on to the bitter end so I get as much of what they stole back as I can! Never give up!!
    R.D.M.

Boolit Master
    I’ll never give up. To much traveling and places to see and animals to hunt. Finally at a point in our life where money is not much of a concern and never a source for arguments between wife and I.
    However, I have been going thru my “man” stuff for the last year and been selling off all the weird stuff that is sort of valuable. Things like extra scope rings, hard to find magazines for out of production rifles, unusual scopes, out of production bullets, ammo, things like that. If I die first don’t want someone coming in and buying everything and paying my wife pennies on the dollar. To be honest am amazed how much stuff I had that sold for good money that I didn’t use anymore
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master

I have been saddened to learn over the years, more than a few of the worthy firearms I have given to close relatives made a fast trip to the pawnshop for a quick pizza.......I will hang on to everything and enjoy them in my time just as I always have. Once I'me gone I won't care.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

I'm watching it happen to my father right now.
    He'll be 77 in June and has dementia. He can't get around any more. He has to have help to make it to the restroom or the bed. His short term memory is non-existent, but still has decent long term memory. He still knows everyone in the family, but I know the day is coming when I'll have to walk into his house and introduce myself. I'm not looking forward to that.
    He talks about wanting to go to the woods every deer season and we do take him down at least once a year to just hang around the fire and talk about hunts past.

I like to think I won't ever give up. But seeing him has made me think.
    As long as I have all my faculties, I don't think I will.
    If I couldn't even walk across the floor or go to the restroom without help, what's left?
    I'm torn because I obviously don't want my father to pass, but I also wouldn't want to live like he's living. And I know when he was in his right mind, he wouldn't have either.
    It's terrible, but such is life.
    I only hope that death claims me before my mind goes.
    Life is a series of bullseyes and backstraps - Ted Nugent

Boolit Master

I'm 77 and moving more slowly, but I KEEP MOVING! I save my energy for the things that matter most to me. Nothing gets easier with age. Just keep moving however slowly.
    best
    atr
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Grand Master

My Father made his peace with God and knew he was headed to a better place. He did not welcome death, but he didn’t fear it either. That’s pretty much the way I’m living my life too. My girl is grown. My wife is provided for. I’ve had good times and bad. Pain and pleasure. When the time comes, no heroics. What will be will be.

Now as to my toys… I have mostly stopped acquiring new stuff. I do buy things that improve what I already own. I remember disposing of my Father’s estate and I keep intending to downsize, but somehow it never happens. My daughter and her husband have no interest in shooting, much less casting and reloading. I have impressed upon her the heirlooms that I feel are important, but though we have been shooting many times, they don’t hold the memories or attachment that they do for me. I have some stuff earmarked for a good friend, but most will be sold for pennies on the dollar after I am gone and probably more thrown away when they can’t easily find a buyer. Oh well. Such is the circle of life.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    Guys,

I just found this thread and it caused much reflective thinking for me. I am a retired federal agent (1996) and came home to my rural 60-acre farm, bought in 1988, in northcentral PA. I am busy with haying, woodcutting and outside stuff. Never give up!

Twenty years ago I was elected president of my county historical society and still am president. I graduated from seminary in 2008 and was a hospice volunteer for 5 years circa 2009-2014. Being a veteran, I got to visit hospice veterans locally. That was rewarding service. I am now 79, fit, busy and an elder in my local church.

I have seen people "fade away" and most went when the Lord called. We read in Scripture that we are to "number our days." The Lord promised me 3 score and 10 and I am 9 years beyond that, thankfully. I do occasional church services for my church and often make a sermon out of my hospice experience. We all will die, so do what you can, when you can, and pray to be an instrument of God's will here on Earth. Amen.

Be well.

Adam

A subject of interest to many of us. I was thinking about posting a poll on the ages of current members....but maybe not. Death is inevitable.

I'm age 81, and yesterday saw a post where another member let it slip that he's 82. Anyone here older than that? Probably at least a couple. We all have an expiration date. You can try to put it off, and likely do a lot of suffering doing so, with the end result being the same.

15 years ago I came very close to passing away with an advanced case of Lyme Disease. It's uncommon out here on the Left Coast, and none of the medicos could figure out what my problem was. As it progressed I lost all interest in guns and reloading, things that have been of primary interest and importance in my life. The only thing that remained important to me was my immediate family, which I was sure I was about to leave. Any tears were for them, and not my guns. (Note: After beginning to recover those shooting interests returned rapidly! )

I've always cut my own firewood until last year when I was in pain with a ruptured disc and had to hire it done. That's pretty well stabilized, the pain is gone unless I overdo, and I'm looking forward to next summer when I can try cutting my own again. Like someone already said, I'm sure not the man I was when I was 25.

Here's my input: I'm not going to fight it until the bitter end. When the Grey Lady appears I'll go along peacefully. I'll probably ask if I can take along a 1911 and a $100 bill for the trip-- but already know the answer. There really isn't any point in begging for more time, because you should have it all done by now, and what happens to your "stuff" doesn't matter too much at all. There was someone who opined that one should rail against the darkness and fight against going. I won't. Another adventure begins.

May God Bless All Here.

DG

Boolit Grand Master
    Some great posts and much wisdom.

One comment on giving away 'stuff'. People who have no skin in the game do not deserve 'stuff' like guns etc as they sell it off for a quick buck. I have seen it happen a lot. If an item means something to the person you are gifting it to, it is a wonderful thing to do, and they will treasure it.
    Don Verna

Lymes disease...check. Covid 3 times...check. Broken neck...check. Widow maker heart attack....check. More broken bones than anyone I know....check. Severe "complex" PTSD.... check. 45-50 BPM heart rate...check.

So what? Did my weights yesterday then shot bows on our 3D range. Mounted/balanced 4 new tires for wifeypoo this morning. Building a new Savage 223,blue printed action,Shilen brrl. Installed a 2-1/2" NOS brrl on my Colt DB the other day. Replaced a MIA reticle in a 4-12 near mint otherwise Redfield snagged off evilbay for beer money.

If I fall over dead today.... just don't care,haha. Like being a zombie,bwahaha. Shooting bows again tomorrow.

Just got notification of a friend's passing. The first couple I got to know when I moved here to finish school at UNH.
    It makes one reflect about the time remaining.
    Make the most of it, folks....doesn't matter what you do....just don't pee it away.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

After a long face from the doctor last spring I have reexamined my priorities a little. I have sold off most of the guns I don't use and have gifted some things to people that I knew would truly appreciate them. I retired from my second career last fall and have been enjoying life to the fullest. I try to stay busy and productive. I have decided that my gun "collecting" is finished and I'm going to concentrate on my Thompson Center interest and move almost everything else along to people who will enjoy it. I try to make a habit of doing nice things for others and that has been the most amazing therapy I have ever experienced. I don't really consider myself old at 65 but I have lived a full life and have truly been blessed. I have a wonderful wife and we will celebrate our 42nd anniversary in 9 days. I have a great dog, a modest house and a close circle of a few great friends. I have been halfway around the world in 2 different directions and am wearing a pair of shoes at this minute that have crossed at least 12 different time zones. We are going to expand our garden this year and build a greenhouse and have decided to try and spend as much time as possible visiting with our families (especially grandkids) as possible. Life is short, don't take it for granted but don't be afraid to live it either.

NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by steve urquell View Post
    I work in the hospital snd see life and death on a daily basis. Those who stop moving too soon end quickly. Even terminal cancer patients do much better when they stay active burning chemo out of their systems quickly where those who sit around suffer because it does not circulate out quickly.

My advise after treating 40,000 patients. Go/stay active until you drop dead. You'll be much happier for it and the end will be peaceful and quick rather than slow and horrifying.
    I quote this all because I wanted to write almost the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    I quote this all because I wanted to write almost the same.
    Thank you sir. I currently have a very vulnerable cancer patient who is trying to give up on me. I worked the weekend and got him on board and up moving but today is my day off work. I passed him to another PT who I hope can motivate him today but I honestly feel guilty about having a day off because he needs me.
    Dan Wesson 744V .44mag, S&W Mod 19-4 .357 , Stevens 200 .223

Boolit Grand Master
    Growing old is a lot harder that I thought.

Boolit Grand Master

When its your time it dosnt matter how hard or fast you run. But keeping busy with something to keep the mind and body occupied keeps you from dwelling on it. I stay busy in my shop making things tooling that I need small things that I want ( I have a rolling block and green mountain barrel thats going to become a 38-55 or 38-56 here shortly. Im thinking a 32" barrel set up for one of my MVA scopes. Im currently working on a cannon just to make noise. Ive made sine bars die holders for the lathe a die for forming brass flat stock to make dead blow hammers. Im a lot slower working from the wheel chair. But I get er done.

Doing something you enjoy and staying busy may or may not extend your time but it keeps the mind off it.

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Some great posts and much wisdom.

One comment on giving away 'stuff'. People who have no skin in the game do not deserve 'stuff' like guns etc as they sell it off for a quick buck. I have seen it happen a lot. If an item means something to the person you are gifting it to, it is a wonderful thing to do, and they will treasure it.
    Agreed 100%.
    Not everyone you're related to deserves something from you.
    I imagine we all have those relatives that we know would just flip whatever you left them to make money.
    I have girls, so I have no children that would be interested in my firearms and reloading equipment. Thankfully I have 2 nephews who have grown into fine men who not only work hard, but also understand family loyalty. What I don't leave for my wife and children to sell, will go to them because I know those things will be cherished and cared for as well as I would have.

There's a few I wouldn't leave my old socks to.
    Life is a series of bullseyes and backstraps - Ted Nugent

Boolit Master
    Over my days I have had more than a few occasions to see the Grim Reaper creeping around behind me, escaped from him every time. Around 2 years ago I started my reductions of projects that had supported us for several years. Sold off the few rental properties, and my hunting camp, and then the majority of my firearms and ammo. Why, you ask? Over the past 35 years or so I have helped many people determine the market value of their firearms. Not long after that I would learn how cheaply they were selling them. That would not happen here! I parted out the few "keepers" for my family and sent the rest to an auction. Made some serious cash on them, even paid the IRS their tax for capital gains. My funds from these liquidations helped our oldest daughter and her daughter into their first owned house. SWMBO has remaining unused funds that should carry her beyond my time. Just knowing that I have provided the best I could for them is good enough for me.

Boolit Master
    We all need to stay in good physical shape, too. I'm only 65 and God willing, I fully expect to live into my 90's (although I fully realize my time is in His Hands). I go to the YMCA three times a week and lift weights for an hour - it really helps a person maintain their strength and endurance. I also gave up alcohol completely (always liked my whiskey shots at night but I actually sleep better now).

A lot of it seems to boil down to what you can and cannot control. My mother lived to be 89 and I think she could have gone several years longer if she had continued to exercise - but she quit and gave up after my stepfather passed away. Her father lived to be 92; he was very active and mentally alert until he broke his second hip then died within three days. My grandmother lived to 94 but she had dementia the final three years of her life and wasn't aware of her surroundings - and so it goes.

There is only so much you can control but I believe it's worth the effort - giving up means you will likely go sooner than later...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast