RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee Precision
RepackboxLoad DataSnyders JerkyWideners
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for accurate 44 Mag loads.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a 9.5 inch SRH that loves the 429421 (#2 alloy) and 10.5 grains of Unique for an estimated 975 fps. This is a very accurate load for me, YMMV. Unique is kind of unobtanium for the moment, but if you have any you are good to go. Accurate #9 at 18.0 grains is a mild load and is also very accurate. Good luck.
    NRA Life 1992
    My avatar is almost a dead ringer for my little buddy Chico. Six pounds of mean that thought he was a Pit Bull. Miss that little guy.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hylander View Post
    Thanks for all the input
    Has anyone used BE-86

for 240 grain bullet start out with 11 grains be86 for 260 grain slug 10 grains. for me thats my mild load in 44mag brass for top velocity magnum stuff ive been using 300mp mostly. In past ive used many different powders 2400, no9 and 4227 worked pretty good too. I have not used blue dot in a very long time but it worked pretty well for me in the past. I'm not a big fan of h110/296 even though I probably have at least 8 or 9 pounds left it has a very small load window and cant be downloaded and needs magnum primers.
    but like I wrote before there are dozens of powders that will work well in 44 mag and all the other people that shared their loads is proof of that. the accuracy part will be tweaked in your particular gun and figuring out what bullet to use and what you size it at and the powders you work loads up with

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hylander View Post
    Thanks for all the input
    Has anyone used BE-86
    Today...
    I have done some 200gr Lee RF, with Nitro-100NF...Very mild loadings ..255 gr SWC's are Next...Then on to BE-86

Edit; There were some few primed cases handy (Winchester Large Pistol primers)
    so I loaded a very few up with 9.0 gr of BE-86 under 240gr GC SWC's
    That combination, excepting 8.6gr of Unique, Out of my 10" Contender, gave 1060 FPS.
    the BE-86 loading gave 1147 avg FPS that seemed plenty stout, out of the Contender, which is Unpleasant with Magnum loadings!!
    I will be dropping to 8.6 Grains of BE-86, just like I did with Unique.
    Edit Again;
    Looking at the Data...I am beginning to suspect that either my old Chronograph is Acting up, or perhaps I need to be more careful with Placement.. Don't seem correct when I look at true Side by Side examples...I will now be scrutinizing my Data Banks!!!
    Last edited by racepres; 03-08-2024 at 12:31 PM.

If you want an accurate light load that can be changed to a magnum load, I have had good luck with Unique and the 240 grain SWCs. It loads light and heavy both, with excellent accuracy.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapier View Post
    If you want an accurate light load that can be changed to a magnum load, I have had good luck with Unique and the 240 grain SWCs. It loads light and heavy both, with excellent accuracy.
    Absolutely Correct.. but getting Unique just now is Challenging in some locale's!!
    reason for trying out BE-86, as a replacement, and even Nitro-100NF for light loads
    Heck, I'm pretty sure I could easily get by with Blue Dot, for all of my 44 Mag loadings, light to gitty-up!
    Availability again is Problematic!! I started out, years ago, using a plenty of Blue Dot..

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the input.
    I loaded up some 200gr. Rnfp. I casted from an old Saco mold last week.
    Only bullet I have at the moment.
    10gr. Unique
    9, 9.5 and 10gr. BE-86
    I hope to try them in my brand new Super Blackhawk this week.
    Failure is not an Option

Boolit Bub
    I like HS6 in all my large bore hanguns. I have been messing around with a 7.5” Super Blackhawk and it really likes 12 grains of HS6 under a RCBS 44-250-K bullet. Been getting 1” groups @ 25 yards. I have a 260 grain LFN style mold I am going to try next. I think I have a 270 grain SWC NEI mold I want to try also.

I have always had excellent results with HS6 in my 45 Colt and 475 Linebaugh revolvers. It has been no different in the 44 Magnum so far.

Banned
    Accuracy will depend upon the gun itself.. some of the loads listed here, when fired in MY 44 magnum... I am happy to keep them in a 4 1/2" circle at 25 yards.

But my gun really loves 6.0 grains of red dot with a 240 grain swc. Rather mild but i can normally cover 2 cylinders at 25 yards with a 2" target paster. I think that qualifies as decent. Have not had time to go past 25 yards as for some reason I have not had the time to make a new shooting spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    That's certainly interesting. Is the accuracy difference substantial between mid loads and full power?
    I can definitely tell the groups are tighter.
    That is, until I shoot several groups and start flinching. lol
    Life is a series of bullseyes and backstraps - Ted Nugent

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkansas Paul View Post
    I can definitely tell the groups are tighter.
    That is, until I shoot several groups and start flinching. lol
    But if two cylinders of 44 arent enough for a real world event, even elmer mentioned something about having a large bore rifle.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thom_44 View Post
    Accuracy will depend upon the gun itself.. some of the loads listed here, when fired in MY 44 magnum... I am happy to keep them in a 4 1/2" circle at 25 yards.

But my gun really loves 6.0 grains of red dot with a 240 grain swc. Rather mild but i can normally cover 2 cylinders at 25 yards with a 2" target paster. I think that qualifies as decent. Have not had time to go past 25 yards as for some reason I have not had the time to make a new shooting spot.
    My Favored 44 Special Load

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Roy View Post
    I like HS6 in all my large bore hanguns. I have been messing around with a 7.5” Super Blackhawk and it really likes 12 grains of HS6 under a RCBS 44-250-K bullet. Been getting 1” groups @ 25 yards. I have a 260 grain LFN style mold I am going to try next. I think I have a 270 grain SWC NEI mold I want to try also.

I have always had excellent results with HS6 in my 45 Colt and 475 Linebaugh revolvers. It has been no different in the 44 Magnum so far.
    HS6 in three 44s and my 480 Ruger is a very good upper medium load propellant!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12