MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline FabricationReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: Honing cylinder throats

Boolit Mold

Honing cylinder throats

Just had DougGuy hone the cylinder throats on my 1979 vintage Smith and Wesson model 60 which was giving me leading issues. They measured at .355 and he opened them up to .3585 which should solve the issue. He did a nice job and I would recommend anyone with the same issue contact him. Thanks Doug

Boolit Master
    I can echo your report. Doug does a great job.

Before I knew about Doug, I called Manson Reamers and Mr. Manson advised me to get a .431 reamer for my tight throated model 24 S&W. I had the cutting oil and vise already but I will say the only time I have been more tentative about doing something was the time I had to drill 8 holes in the rear deck of my new 75 Corvette to mount a luggage rack!! Fortunately for me, both turned out fine but if I had known about the highly recommended service he offers (quite reasonably), I would have NEVER attempted it. From ALL the reports, he can turn a revolver that was formally better suited as a club, into a tack driver.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Buddy
    Now if you are not getting resized when you seat the bullet in the case, your bullet is going to hit the barrel at full size. You might now want to slug the barrel to see if you have any constrictions. If so, 5-20 fire lapping bullets would give you the last little bit of accurizing. My 45 Colt/ACP Blackhawk went from 5-6" at 25 with lead acps down to 3" after the throats, down to 2" after fire lapping. 45 Colts went from 4" at 25 down to 2" at 25 after throats, down to some loads shooting under an inch and everything shooting under 1.5" after fire lapping.

There is no sense in fire lapping a revolver until the throats are opened up, but after they are opened up if it has good timing and no constrictions it will shoot like a rifle.

Boolit Master

I sent Doug a Ruger NMBH 45 Colt cylinder that would group 5 shots and throw 1 shot a few inches out. After his magic it now consistently groups all 6 shots!
    Thank you Doug…
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )