Load DataSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: Moose Milk

Moose Milk

How well does this moose milk work when its dry. I watched a video where a guy was soaking strips of ticking in it then putting it on trays to dry then it was ready to go. I thought this moose milk was supposed to be damp when you use it. I tried some damp stuff to day and worked fine but it was only 15 degrees out and the strips were freezing so i stopped using it and was using my pre lubed patches that i made for cold weather. they worked good. I shot for about 3 hours and then the cold got the best of me. Was a good day but cold.
    Dont pee down my back and tell me its raining.

That's the Dutch Schoultz method. It works great as long as you wipe between shots. Probably the best way to achieve top accuracy with a round ball rifle, but since the patches are dry you have to clean the bore with a wet patch first to maintain top accuracy and easy loading. I did that for a while then went back to spit patches for normal shooting since it's faster and easier.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I've used them dry to load for hunting. For cold weather, try windshield washer fluid rather than water.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy

I have used vegetable shortening (Crisco) on my hunting patches for round ball in my 54 cal flint rifle as spit patches dry out. Never thought of windshield washer fluid to swab the bore after a few shots! Great Idea! Thanks so much. Our Pennsylvania Flintlock deer season comes in December 26 and goes for 3 weeks. Washer fluid will go in a little medicine bottle in my possibles bag next season!

Thanks for the replies. I have heard of guys using windshield washer fluid but i have not tried it. If it stays cold and i get another chance to go shoot i will try it.
    Dont pee down my back and tell me its raining.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by lead chucker View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I have heard of guys using windshield washer fluid but i have not tried it. If it stays cold and i get another chance to go shoot i will try it.
    Windshield washer fluid has water, soap, alcohol to prevent freezing, and blue die in it. It works on old WW2 corrosive primer residue too. Cheap.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lead chucker View Post
    How well does this moose milk work when its dry. I watched a video where a guy was soaking strips of ticking in it then putting it on trays to dry then it was ready to go. I thought this moose milk was supposed to be damp when you use it. I tried some damp stuff to day and worked fine but it was only 15 degrees out and the strips were freezing so i stopped using it and was using my pre lubed patches that i made for cold weather. they worked good. I shot for about 3 hours and then the cold got the best of me. Was a good day but cold.
    I tried dried out moose milk patches (with a good stiff load) burnt the patches out - didnt happen using the same material and load with damp patch
    hunting is a different deal ya proly want a greasy patch but then ya only shoot a couple or three shots so the clogging up effect of greasy patch is not a factor (that always hit me about shot no 6,7 or 8)

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    For round balls, I only use spit on my patches. Seems to work and I’m not the only one doing it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    For round balls, I only use spit on my patches. Seems to work and I’m not the only one doing it.
    Whatever floats yre boat I spose - I tried spit, dried my mouth out sos I could hardly shoot.

Interesting how this works - make a post sayin moose milk is the best patch lube for target competition - proven accurate, shoot all day without swabbing the bore - bla bla bla
    Ten guys just cant help but come back ....nah mate this here is a better plan .... well yeah might be as good a plan but taint a better one