Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2RepackboxReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: Marlin 336 "Experimental" 250-3000 from the 1970's

Boolit Mold

Marlin 336 "Experimental" 250-3000 from the 1970's

Greetings fellow shooters and enthusiasts!
    I am new to this particular site and in need of support and help with an old Marlin that I have. During some previous research, I noticed an old article here in regards to a Marlin 336 chambered in .250-3000, and the obscurity of them. I wish I had done this before Marlin was acquired by Ruger and the records were no longer available.
    I am looking for any information in order to validate the authenticity of the one that I have. Since this can no longer be done by the factory....yes, I contacted them first; and they no longer have Marlin's old records.
    I am looking for any information that can place this one as one of those rifles. Factory letters, records, people who can validate it, articles, etc.
    It was given to me by my father who acquired it decades ago from one of his colleagues who worked for Marlin at one time. Both have passed away. And I remember meeting his colleague from Maine who told me that "yes, it's a rare bird".
    Serial number puts it in the 1972mfr range, and the barrel is "JM" stamped, but the barrel marks and lettering are not like on typical production rifles.
    Thank you for any help with this historic quest I am now on!

Boolit Master
    It would seem to be a bad choice for a tube magazine,and too high pressure for the action..........Marlin did use 25-35 ,a lower pressure cartridge

Boolit Master
    I have heard stories that Marlin considered the 250-3000 as a viable caliber for the 336, they may have even made a couple but backed away due to problems with the pointed bullets available, probably the market demand was also considered. The 250-3000 sounds like a good idea, but us enthusiast's lose site of production costs, real market demand and other such 'stuff'. The Marlin 336 can handle the pressure of the 250-3000, it is about the same as the .444.

Moderator Emeritus

Can you post some pictures?

Long ago, Layne Simpson mentioned this in an article about Marlins.
    According to him, the .250 Savage prototypes featured tube magazines with the spiral flute from Remington 141 pump rifles.
    Unfortunately the article had no pictures.
    We’re looking forward to pics of yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    WOW, thats a unique gun. if it were me I would be loading up some brass with those hard to find 117 grain round nose bullets and putting that gun though its paces.i even have an old set of pacific 250-3000 dies just waiting on a gun to find its way to me. keep it oiled and cleaned and unmolested. a true treasure that your paw left to you.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    That rifle is described in the Brophy book.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Welcome to the board - with that subject, you've certainly hit the ground running, here !
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    It would seem to be a bad choice for a tube magazine,and too high pressure for the action..........Marlin did use 25-35 ,a lower pressure cartridge
    If I'm not mistaken, most .250-3000 ammo has been watered down to not much more than .30-30 pressure level as has the .300 Savage. Obviously one can push either one harder with reloads. The Savage 99 is a rear locking lever action and handled them just fine. Didn't Remington also make a few 788's in one or both of these cartridges?
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    Rem made a 788 in 30-30 Win.
    Last edited by beemer; 03-05-2024 at 08:40 AM.

Boolit Master
    as far as strength of the 336 action the 356 win and 375 win, 52000 to 55000CUP, both were successfully chambered by marlin in the 336

Boolit Buddy
    I truly suggest you go over to Marlinowners and ask there as there is a former employee on that sight and he helped me identy my prototype 336. Lots of Marlin knowledge there.

Tomray is the guy at Marlinowners. I have a Marlin 336 that started life as a 35 Remington and was rebarreled with a McGowen pre-fit barrel in 250AI. The rim diameter and cartridge length are almost identical and the operating pressure is within the limits. There was an article in I think the American Rifleman back in the day. The “experimental” used a spiral magazine tube. I use the Hornady gummies or shoot it as a two shooter. If I am not mistaken only 4 of the prototypes were made. Picture is Jim Carmichael.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0251.jpeg 
Views:	19 
Size:	122.4 KB 
ID:	324105
    Last edited by Shawlerbrook; 03-04-2024 at 06:51 PM.