RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 35 Whelen

Boolit Grand Master

35 Whelen

Who likes them?
    I have a Model 70 Super Grade in 35 Whelen and really like it
    shoots cast and jackets super duper
    I would almost think it would be the perfect walking around rig for this continent for anything I might have a desire or need to shoot
    What say you?
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

I agree with you. Super versatile, usually quite accurate, all the power you need if you stoke it up but easy to shoot with fast powder and pistol bullets. Brass is easy to get and fairly cheap, really the only downside is super long range shots.

The 200 grain RCBS works great in my 358 guns. I have both the plain base and GC version. I powder coat the plain base version.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Buddy
    Just finished a M1 Garand in 35 whelen ,shoots a 285 gr HP powder coated bullet and with the original sights will shoot better than I can , 1 MOA is about as good as I can do but sure the ole rifle will do better . Can't wait to bust a hog with it.

Vendor Sponsor

I have the Remington 700 Classic in 35 Whelen.
    Jacket or cast. Low power variable scope.

It is the bolt action survival rifle here at my place.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Buddy
    Yep..1903 Springfield sporterized and rebarreled to 35 Whln.

Boolit Master
    Several years ago my wife said I had built rifles for three of our kids and she thought it was time I built her one. "OK, what do you want?" She said, "a 35 Whelen with a laminated stock". She got it for Christmas that year. IIRC she has taken five bull elk with it. Three spikes, a forked horn and a six-x-six with six rounds. I think her BRNO sporter in 7x57 is probably her favorite but the Whelen is definitely on the keeper list.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

That's quite a wife you've got that would want to shoot a 35 Whelen. Lucky man!

Great cartridge in my opinion - I have the Ackley variant, which did nothing for velocity btw. I have taken deer with it, wild hogs, an elk, and a bison.
    PowerPro 2000 MR makes it steam like nothing before -- honest 2700+ on 250s. I have used w/ good satisfaction IMR4350, RL17, IMR4007 SSC, SRB118, and 4895 (though it loses out in vel in my rifle). 200s-310s if the twist is right for the heavier.
    Throttle it w/ reduced charges or 3031 or 2400 under 200-260 cast, and it still shoots. 158 Jacketed over 5744, still shoots.
    Easy, powerful, and somewhat economical.

Boolit Buddy
    I've got a 35 whelen in an H&R Handi-rifle. Got it to be a cast bullet rifle. Works great for that using a 245 gr cast st 2000 fps. I loaded a few factory equivalent loads once using 225 jacketed bullets. did take many of those (3) to get my fill. Those would loosen your fillings in that light rifle. Great caliber though.
    Siamese4570

Boolit Man
    My favorite too. 12 grains of Red dot and a 158 pistol J-word duplicates the ballistics of a 357 mag for small deer inside 75 yards. 38 grains of Alliant R-7 and a 200 grain J-word duplicates 35 Remington performance. Lots of meat in the freezer from those two loads.

Boolit Master

I have a Remington 700 Classic, went to South Africa this past August, Eight different animals, 9 shots. The Eland was down but the PH wanted an insurance shot. Speer 250 grain HotCor and a max load of RL15. Shoots cast very good as well. One of my favorites.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3338(1).jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	136.6 KB 
ID:	324216
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Buddy
    I have a TC Encore in 35 Whelen and while large rifle primers are out, I load it using LPP. I use 13.4gr of red dot and 115gr 9mm hornady xtp bullets and it prints a 1/2” group at 50 yds. I had at one point 2 barrels in 35 Whelen for my Encore rifle so I sold one.
    Great caliber with gersatility.
    Camba

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Swedish M96 with an 18" barrel in 35 Whelen. It makes a fine brush gun.

Name:	20230203_163135 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	324217

Boolit Master

I had one built on a 98 action with a green mountain barrel. I enjoyed shoot and hunting with it but after many years I sold it on. It was accurate with the 200 gr RN bullet and shot cast very well.
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Buddy
    David Gentry customized Mark X action 35 Whelen AI, 1 in 14 twist cut-rifled barrel @ 24 inches. After shooting at least half a dozen different bullets from 200 to 275 grains, I settled on the 250 Partition @ 2600' for all my hunting. Animals from 150 to 900 pounds have been no match for the Nosler.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Michel View Post
    I have a Remington 700 Classic, went to South Africa this past August, Eight different animals, 9 shots. The Eland was down but the PH wanted an insurance shot. Speer 250 grain HotCor and a max load of RL15. Shoots cast very good as well. One of my favorites.

Name:	IMG_3338(1).jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	136.6 KB 
ID:	324216
    That is my bullet and powder choice for my Rem. 700 Classic too. It has been very good in both accuracy and killing power.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    I have a custom Remington 700 in 35 Whelen with a 1:12 twist It loves the Lyman 358009 cast from 10:1 (ww:lino) and heat treated. Velocity is 2200fps. It has accounted for 2 bull moose, 1 bull elk and countless white tails. Powder used is 48g of AA 4064 and CCI 200 primer .
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Master
    I built a custom 35whelen on a savage 110 action many years ago. Love it. I had no clue about the round when I first started the project but man am I glad I did.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

In 2013, my dad then 80, shot his Maine bull moose with a Remington 750 in 35 Whelen. At 175 yards it took a few steps before dropping, hit in the boiler room. 200 grain factory load.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast