RotoMetals2RepackboxReloading EverythingLee Precision
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Load Data Snyders Jerky

Thread: ship a handgun

Boolit Master

ship a handgun

I want to ship a handgun to a shop for a tune-up. I've read many times how to ship to an FFL as a non-FFL, but I wanted definitive advice.
    I called three gun stores and not one would ship it for me, but they'd receive it on the way back for a fee.
    USPS is a definite no.
    FedEx is a no.
    UPS most likely will, if I take it to a distribution center, but the two within 50 miles of me do not have phone numbers listed, and apparently they're only open 3 hrs per day.
    I called my local gun rights organization and left a message. I have not received a call back.
    I called the ATF and...bingo, they called me back with all the info I need. Very nice agent, very helpful.
    As I kinda knew, a non-FFL can ship a handgun for repairs. It might have to go to an FFL on the way back, depending on the state laws, but it's perfectly legal for the repair shop to send it to my house.

Why is FedEx a no? No distribution center close? They have same regs internally as UPS. I would definitely try and find out TrUE hours the UPS is open. Ours here went from 8am to 8pm to 11am to 8pm recently.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Have shipped many guns both fedex and USPS. Never had any FFL holder refuse shipping a gun, yes they charge a fee but that is their business.

Boolit Master
    I seem to recall that both Fedex and UPS stopped accepting handgun shipments from anyone that hadn’t executed an amendum to their commercial shipping agreement. Since you probably don’t have such an agreement, you’re effectively unable to use them. Before this change they’d ship but only overnight so it was expensive.

At least that’s what I recall. I’ve been using a local FFl to ship handguns for the past year or so.

Boolit Master
    FedEx was a very strong NO, if I wasn't an FFL. What can I say...
    UPS has a distribution center 40 miles south of me, and 40 miles north of me. Neither has a phone number. A local UPS store gave me their hours (1st was 9AM-12 noon, the other was 3PM -6PM) and told me they couldn't call them, so I'd have to stop at either and get the shipping details.
    3 local shops will not ship, but they will receive.
    I'm thinking that alot of the refusals have to do with the fact that this is MA.
    Anyhoo, according to the ATF, I can ship via UPS to the FFL.

USPS is not a definite no - shipper must hold an FFL - many will ship them for a reasonable fee for a small chatge for handling + amount of insurance if value is over $100.00 -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Master
    I recently shipped a Smith & Wesson via Uncle Sam's Package Smashers and they sent it back just fine. Insure it.
    JW
    HOLLYWOOD Collector Left hawg 405#, right one 315#, had my elderly neighbors granddaughter treed and why I got the call. Both charged, one from 20' and one from 40'. Thanks to the good Lord and Samuel Colt I won. May God bless our Lawmen & Soldiers!

Boolit Master
    ATF isn’t the problem, the shipping company rules are.

If you’re shipping to an FFL you can sometimes get them to send you a shipping label, then you can just drop it off. Technically since it’s their label they are the shipper and they’ve executed the appropriate addendum with the shipping company.

Boolit Grand Master
    so they need to know what is in the package?
    Anyone can ship a firearm into a dealer who is or has a ffl for service
    they haven't banned that yet
    I have shipped rifle actions in to have a barrel installed and they ship it directly to me no ffl at all
    it is the lib shippers who raise a stink
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

I recently contacted S&W about repairing a revolver.
    They provided a FedEx shipping label.
    I had to drop it off at a FedEx store- the local box &ship wouldn’t ship it.
    Two weeks later the FedEx driver put the box in my hand at my house.
    I can’t complain at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    white eagle,, he asked about a handgun. And the laws and or regulations are different for handguns.

And yes,, often a shipper will have a form or electronic thing that asks the question about the contents being prohibited or whatever. That way,, if you lie about it,, YOU can be the one in trouble.

The OP did the correct thing,, he contacted the ATF to get the FACTS.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I can’t complain at all.

This is the way.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I can’t complain at all.

I did almost the same thing a few years ago. Kimber sent me the tag and I had to drive to that very gun friendly state of Maryland to drop it off at a UPS facility. Nothing anywhere near me and I typically have to go to either Maryland or Virginia (near both state lines). One of the only downsides to being rural.

Boolit Mold
    I don't see the problem using FedEx. I have shipped three times with FedEx and even dropped one off at a Staples shipping desk.
    Make certain the box doesn't reveal what is inside and it shouldn't be a problem.

Boolit Master
    The problem with FedEx is that they told me in no uncertain terms that they will not ship a firearm. No firearms. I took that to mean that they would not ship a firearm.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by kenrh View Post
    I don't see the problem using FedEx. I have shipped three times with FedEx and even dropped one off at a Staples shipping desk.
    Make certain the box doesn't reveal what is inside and it shouldn't be a problem.
    They changed their policy about two years ago and will no longer accept a firearm for shipment from a nonlicensee.

https://www.fedex.com/en-us/shipping...-firearms.html

Similarly, UPS will only accept firearms shipments from licensees who have entered into a agreement with UPS and are specifically approved for firearms shipping

https://www.ups.com/us/en/support/sh.../firearms.page

So...While it remains legal for individuals to ship firearms, corporate policy changes at the two major carriers have made it essentially impossible. And trying to be cute by declaring the item as "machine parts" or some such nonsense will open you up to all sorts of liability should something go wrong and the true nature of the package be discovered.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    You hit the nail on the head for questions like this. Call the BATF. For out in the west, I like the Minneapolis/St.Paul office. The Montana office referred me to them on a question, and they were very helpful.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    I sold a rifle on a website a few years ago and called the nearest ATF office to make sure I was handling it properly, even though their FAQ answered my questions. I suppose I was getting a second opinion. I too talked with a very helpful agent who confirmed that, as an unlicensed individual, what I was doing was correct, and that I can mail a C&R -eligible rifle to a C&R license holder. He gave me the phone number to call to verify that the license holder I was sending it to still had an active license. BTW, there is a list of CAR-eligible firearms somewhere on the ATF website, or at least there used to be. You might be surprised what all is on that list.

Before mailing, I talked with the clerk at my small semi-rural PO to make sure her understanding of their rules was the same as mine and it was smooth sailing when I brought the rifle in. With the USPS hurting for competent help now I would consider it essential to talk with the Postmaster or a senior clerk, find out when they will be on duty, and deal with them instead of risking participation in OJT with someone who hasn't previously handled mailing a long gun and doesn't know the rules.

Contact prior to shipment with people who would handle the shipment of a handgun at UPS or FEDEX should be just as beneficial.
    Last edited by higgins; 03-02-2024 at 05:52 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by higgins View Post
    Contact prior to shipment with people who would handle the shipment of a handgun at UPS or FEDEX should be just as beneficial.
    Neither will accept a firearm for shipment from a non-licensee anymore.

Boolit Master
    The 1968 Gun Control Act specifically states a legally owned firearm can be sent to a gunsmith, etc., for repair and back to the original owner without the need for an FFL being involved. The means of shipment may have rules, but a dealer is not needed per my copy of GCA 1968.

Adam